Need serious help

Options
AnneU93
AnneU93 Posts: 114 Member
So I am 5'9" or 174 cm tall. 19 years old (20 i two weeks) and 174 lb or 78.9kg. I am a student, so that would make me sedentary.

I have been this weight for the last 1½ month and I don't know what to do to get out of this plateu. I have upped my exercise from zero to 30 day shred every day and Turbofire HIIT 20 every other these past 2 weeks and still nothing. I count every single crumb I eat and drink nothing but water. I always eat about 1600-1700 kcal a day, which I upped to from 1500 kcal a month ago. I do not eat back my exercise calories.

I have only lost 9lb before I hit my plateu.

anybody who knows anything please help me, because I have read every single thing there is to find about plateu and what to do and I can't figure it out.

P.S. please do not consider todays dinner as a regular thing since it rarely happens.

I weigh and measure absolutely everything.

I am not losing grams/lbs nor cm/inches.

I have used the scoobyworkshop site to calculate my BMR which says 1660.

I drink at least 2 litres of water every day (8 cups).

I am danish so many of my diary entries are in danish, but I can tell you that none of it is processed or ready made/packaged food.

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I esimated your goal weight at 150 and plugged your info into fat2fitradio.com's BMR calculator. This is what I got:

Entered information: 19 year old female, 68.5 inches tall, weighing 174 pounds.

From the information that you entered, you'd like to weigh 150 lbs.

Harris-Benedict Formula

There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is 1645 calories.

How Many Calories Should I Eat?

Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight. At Fat 2 Fit Radio we advocate eating like the thin, healthy person that you want to become. The calorie levels you see in the chart are not extreme, but they do create that all important caloric deficit that is required to get you to your goal weight in a safe manner. Once you reach your goal weight, you will continue eating the same number of calories for the rest of your life to maintain that weight. You'll never be on a diet again.

Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point.

Activity Level

Daily Calories

Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job)

Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)

Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)

Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)

Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.)

NOTE: Please remember that this calculation is just a guideline. Your metabolism may be higher or lower based on the amount of lean muscle you have. Use these numbers a a starting point and tweak them up or down based on your weight loss or gain. It may take a couple weeks to get your exact calorie level."

So, according to this you are eating the right number of calories as long as you are over your BMR number every day - 1645 - but you should really aim for the sedentary number of 1848. Maybe you should go to that website and calculate your military body fat % so these numbers would be more accurate. So, Military Body fat % calculator and then the BMR calculator. Test it out for a month and see what happens. Best of luck to you!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Presumably you want to lose bodyfat not just weight: try high intensity strength training to maintain or build muscle mass, don't overdo cardio. Look at servings of each food groups instead of calories - are you eating loads of fruits and vegetables in the full rainbow of colours, oily fish, reduced fat dairy, fibre/ mineral rich foods, keeping processed/ refined/ sugary/ junk foods to maximum 10% daily calories? What I see in your diary is only a few entries a day and very little fibre, which might indicate a lot of ready made stuff and not much nutritious wholefoods and home cooking. Try to spread your calories better over the day, don'[t eat over half in one meal. Remember your body needs more of every nutrient when you are exercising regularly.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest giving the exercise another 1-2 weeks to provide a difference. If you are going from no exercise to 30 DS and TurboFire HIIT 20, you are going to gain water weight at the beginning, and maybe even some muscle, depending on just how sedentary you were before.
  • tinacrane
    tinacrane Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert by any means, but: in viewing your diary I note that:
    You have 9 days in December where you didn't log at all or never finished logging.
    On about 6 other days it appears that you didn't log or eat lunch and all those days you have excess calories left over.
    And bananas are about the only fruit I can find and few veggies.
    So my (untrained-yet mfp experienced ) advice is:
    Try and be more consistent in logging and add more fruits and veggies and less processed foods :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    So I am 5'9" or 174 cm tall. 19 years old (20 i two weeks) and 174 lb or 78.9kg. I am a student, so that would make me sedentary.

I have been this weight for the last 1½ month and I don't know what to do to get out of this plateu. I have upped my exercise from zero to 30 day shred every day and Turbofire HIIT 20 every other these past 2 weeks and still nothing. I count every single crumb I eat and drink nothing but water. I always eat about 1600-1700 kcal a day, which I upped to from 1500 kcal a month ago. I do not eat back my exercise calories.

I have only lost 9lb before I hit my plateu.

anybody who knows anything please help me, because I have read every single thing there is to find about plateu and what to do and I can't figure it out.

P.S. please do not consider todays dinner as a regular thing since it rarely happens.

I weigh and measure absolutely everything.

I am not losing grams/lbs nor cm/inches.

I have used the scoobyworkshop site to calculate my BMR which says 1660.

I drink at least 2 litres of water every day (8 cups).

How does being a student make you sedentary? Do you use a motorized wheelchair to get to class? Then you say you are doing exercise videos too. If your BMR is 1660, then try eating closer to 1900 calories each day and eating back your exercise calories. Even without the exercise, you are likely lightly to moderately active, especially if you are a student.
  • squishy2981
    Options
    So, I took your numbers and plugged them into the equation as well. I came back with 1636 calories. The equation I used to calculate your BMR is either identical or off by a few calories only to what MFP is using. I used it to calculate my own BMR, then compared it to MFP's output and got the exact same number. Here's what the equation looks like:

BMR = 655 + (9.6 x weight(kg)) + (1.8 x height(cm)) - (4.7 x age(yrs))

So you have 1636 calories you can consume in one day doing absolutely nothing without gaining weight. But your goal is to lose weight, although I don't know what you are aiming for for weight loss per week. If you're going the healthy route and trying to lose one pound per week, then after seven days you have to cut a total of 3500 calories because one real pound of fat is 3500 calories. Divide that over seven days and you have to cut 500 calories from your diet every day between exercising and eating less. What you need to look at at the end of the day and logging all foods and exercise is your calories remaining. If you have a green 500 calories remaining and you do that every day, then you will lose one real pound of fat per week.

For me, there are days where I eat more than my BMR which is currently at 1525/day. But I may put in a workout that burns 800 calories. As long as the calories remaining at the end of the day is 500, I'm still good to lose one pound a week.

As far as exercising stuff goes, if you are weight training and are adding musle to your frame you will weigh more. But you'll be more healthy. Muscle is more dense than fat, so by volume, muscle weighs more than fat. This may suck when you look at the scale b/c you want to see the number go down, even though you are probably more healthy than ever as you are putting on muscle mass.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    If your BMR is 1660 cals, that is the minimum amount of calories you need to consume to stay in bed all day. You should aim to eat 200-300 cals less than your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) which I made about 2300 cals on this site:

http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator

So the minimum you should eat is 2000 cals and eat your exercise cals back and you will start to lose about 1lb a week.

Being a tall man (6ft 5) I know the tendency is to look at other people who lose weight and they are eating much less than you. But, you forget to consider the fact that you are 5 or 6 inches taller than they are.

Also generally, I have found it easier to lose weight if I eat more protein and less carbs.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Do you use a digital food scale?
  • sonyawhitehead
    sonyawhitehead Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a personal trainer who has helped me a great deal with my diet. He really stresses the need to eat a good breakfast with protein. He is the one who got me started on myfitnesspal. Eat smaller amounts more frequently. Don't be afraid to go over with your protein especially if you are working out as it helps to build muscle. And I hope you know that muscle burns more fat. And pile on those veggies. Your plate should be 1/4 protein, 1/2 vegetables and 1/4 complex carbohydrates...like brown rice or yam. It takes time and you seem like you want to make it work this time. Stick with it. Log every day, faithfully. Good luck.