Rowing Machine

Options
I recently bought a rowing machine, and I love to use it. Is it going to give me big shoulders?

Replies

• gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    if done correctly, it's mainly a leg exercise. legs - lean - arms, then arms - lean - legs :happy:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a rowing machine, and I love to use it. Is it going to give me big shoulders?
    Not unless you eat at a caloric surplus, lift heavy weights and take anabolic steroids along with your rowing.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    No.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    No
  • lornaloo3
    lornaloo3 Posts: 102
    Options
    It is terribly unlikely. You'd have to eat at a calorie surplus, protein high, and row for hours per day -- not per week.

It's very VERY difficult for women to put on the sort of muscle you're talking about. Think lifelong every day swimmers and gymnists. You're just going to get toned and have more upper body strength.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i love the rowing machine. it's probably the second best cardio out there, after swimming.

you will not get "big" shoulders. you will see definition.

so many people out there do the rowing machine incorrectly though. i'd make sure your form is correct.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Big shoulders - no.
    Firm thighs and bum - yes. That's where the power for your stroke is comining from.

Even Olympic standard female rowers don't have "big shoulders" - defined yes, but not bulky.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    The rowing machine should work your back, legs and lungs. I don't even feel it in my shoulders.
  • miccon
    miccon Posts: 5
    Options
    It's really hard to get big muscles! Rowing machine will give you nice, defined muscles. I love that machine.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    US womens olympic rowing team

US_women_rowers_AP364721430045_620x350.jpg

awesome looking arms. not overly bulky, but not soft either.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Big shoulders - no.
    Firm thighs and bum - yes. That's where the power for your stroke is comining from.

Even Olympic standard female rowers don't have "big shoulders" - defined yes, but not bulky.

Firm thighs and bum.... power for your stroke.

That's all I read.
  • mom23boys10
    Options
    I have a concept 2. They have a great website with lots of information and support. They also have some great workouts to try. I love the rowing machine because it is such a low impact workout.
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I had been poking around on the internet and a few sites (but seemed to be directed at men) had said that it would make the shoulders bigger, but I wasn't sure if that was fact and if it applied to women.
    I've been told all my life that I have enormous shoulders and have just recently realized that that is BS... but I don't want it to become the truth!