adding protein/fiber to a breakfast smoothie?

Options
I looked around the message boards and found some great smoothie recipies. Tried one this morning and it was great!
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond breeze
1 banana
6 oz fat free vanilla yogurt
1 tbsp Better n Peanut Butter

It came out to about 285 calories, i think. This is great for breakfast, but I'm looking for something to add to it that will keep me full until lunch. I teach, so between breakfast at 6 and Lunch at 12, there's no snack-time.
I'm thinking more of protein powder/fiber powder, but don't know where to begin. My only thoughts with protein powder are my brother using it in the morning before P90x. I just want to stay full and satisfied until lunchtime!!

Replies

• racin65
    racin65 Posts: 21
    Options
    [POST REMOVED - ads are not allowed on the forums]
  • MarjBSN
    MarjBSN Posts: 2
    Options
    I teach also. I teach high school so I run on the bell schedule. I fix myself a baggie (or 2 to have enough) of snacks like alomonds or chex mix to nibble while the kids go from one class to the other. It seems to help. Marj
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I looked around the message boards and found some great smoothie recipies. Tried one this morning and it was great!
    1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond breeze
    1 banana
    6 oz fat free vanilla yogurt
    1 tbsp Better n Peanut Butter

It came out to about 285 calories, i think. This is great for breakfast, but I'm looking for something to add to it that will keep me full until lunch. I teach, so between breakfast at 6 and Lunch at 12, there's no snack-time.
    I'm thinking more of protein powder/fiber powder, but don't know where to begin. My only thoughts with protein powder are my brother using it in the morning before P90x. I just want to stay full and satisfied until lunchtime!!

Sounds yummy!! I would probably replace the yogurt with the protein powder. A scoop of protein powder will add less sugar, less carbs and less sodium than the yogurt. You could even use 1/4 cup egg whites, or egg white powder. You can get some decent protein powders at your local grocery store, but double check the ingredients. You don't want a lot of filler junk! Check for whey protein as it is more easily absorbed into our muscles and easier to digest. Find a lower calorie one. I use Beachbody's vanilla whey protein, it's 110 calories, 2g of fat, 4g of carbs (5g carbs minus 1g fiber), and 18g protein per serving. Only about 10 ingredients total in it. So look for something similar and you're good to go!

I love the unsweetened vanilla almond milk! Very low in calories and tastes great. I put about 2 oz. in my half-caff coffee in the mornings. YUM!
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Great idea Marj!

What I like to do is get a bulk size bag of the natural, raw almonds (no salt, not roasted) and split them into single serving snack baggies, then add a serving of dried fruit (prunes, apricots, cranberries, etc.) to each snack baggie. You have your protein, carbs and good fats all in one serving for a snack! Nom on it in between classes to keep your metabolism going and keep your energy up through the whole day. Take 2 baggies and have one as an AM snack and one as a PM snack!
  • perrim
    perrim Posts: 117
    Options
    There are so many great protein powders out there. I would try to find a whey protein, hemp protein or pea protein (not soy). Those are going to be the best for you. Also a couple of tablespoons of ground flax seed in smoothies is an awesome way to add fiber and good fat (omega 3). You'll be bumping up the calories some, but if it's an actual meal replacement and not a "snack" you should be able to afford the extra calories.