Uncooked fresh pasta calories

Does anyone know how many calories are in uncooked fresh fusilli pasta? I don't have any scales as yet, so I want to tip half of the packet (250g) into a pan , boil and eat! I can only find calories for it after it has been cooked, which will obviously be heavier with the water absorption weight.

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    What does it say on the packet?
  • It only gives the calories as cooked.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    It only gives the calories as cooked.

I'd just log half the bag. I mean, it's what you'll be eating, just without the water.
  • Rachielous
    Rachielous Posts: 80 Member
    Oh my gosh that is so annoying right!

It is ok if you are cooking for more than just yourself as you can weigh it after but if you are just making one portion how do you know how much to cook?!!? Such a bizar idea not to put the uncooked amount on the pack..
  • sannsk
    sannsk Posts: 203 Member
    Would you eat it uncooked?

I'm sorry, I'm confused :)
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Almost all commercial pastas are 200 calories for 2 oz of uncooked.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    It only gives the calories as cooked.

So it doesn't even tell you how many servings are in the 250g pack? Literally just calories per serving and nothing else?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Would you eat it uncooked?

I'm sorry, I'm confused :)

The original poster cannot compare the cooked weight nutritional information to the dry weight that is known, as they are completely different.

Edit: actually, it's not dry if it's fresh, is it?
  • sannsk
    sannsk Posts: 203 Member
    How do you even start logging if you don't have a food scale?
  • If I can explain better... I have a 500g bag of fresh fusilli pasta. I want to eat half of it. When I look at the back at the calorific value, it states the calories but ONLY the calories when the pasta has been cooked. When the pasta is cooked it will weigh more than when it is dry , as it will absorb water, so I won ,t get as much (although fresh pasta is still moist, not like dried pasta) so I cannot judge the calorific value with complete accuracy as IS do not have any sclaes.
  • IronSmasher
    How do you even start logging if you don't have a food scale?

By reading the packet and using division.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Well if a packet is 250g then half a packet is going to be 125g, don't need scales for that.
  • When the pasta is cooked, it will be heavier then when it has not been cooked, so the calorific value will be different as I won't get as much pasta as it is heavier
  • IronSmasher
    Pasta, plain, fresh, raw (12 samples from 8 brands including spaghetti, tagliatelle, lasagne, linguine and fusili

Per 100g (so multiply you answers, or ideally make/find an item that matches this that has a 100g serving size and add 2.5 servings)

kcal 274
    Pro 11.3g
    Fat 2.4g
    CHO 55.5g
    sug 1.5g

I've not got a reliable breakdown of the fat types I'm afraid.
  • alysonw
    alysonw Posts: 10 Member
    Just confirming the above really, a quick search suggests between 500 and 700 calories, so I'd put 600!
  • IronSmasher
    Out of interest for others, the same pasta cooked would be 159kcal per 100g.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,882 Member
    When the pasta is cooked, it will be heavier then when it has not been cooked, so the calorific value will be different as I won't get as much pasta as it is heavier
    Half of 500g of pasta (250) is equivalent to 4 servings, just thought I'd mention that. Fresh pasta is generally made with eggs and normally you'll find there's about 350 +/- calories in 125 g's fresh and uncooked, so if your eating around 1/2 lb/250g's of fresh pasta then your looking at about 700 calories.
  • IronSmasher and Neanderthin, thank you so much! I meant 125 g of pasta , not 250 g, which is rather a lot!
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Usually the package will provide the number of calories per serving, and also the number or servings per package.

Multiply those together to get the total calories per package and if you want to eat 1/2 the package, divide by 2.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    There are no additional calories added by cooking. It is just water that is absorbed in the pasta. Unless you are using some special kind of water that has calories?? lol The dry weight calorie content is the same as the cooked calorie content.