Quick help, how do I log Couch to 5K????

Options
Just completed my first C25K workout but how do I log it into my exercise?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You can figure out the walk portions and the run portions or you could just log the whole time as a very brisk walk.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor.
    Polar FT7
  • lacooper11
    lacooper11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do you have a HRM? If so, create a new exercise. Label it Couch To 5K and enter the time and calories.

If you don't have a HRM, I'd call it a brisk walk and split the difference (or figure out the runs and walks)
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    If you're not using a heart rate monitor, I would say just add up the total minutes jogging at a pace you think you did, and then the rest of the time as walking at whatever pace you think that was...lol real scientific huh? Did you do it by time or distance? It's all guesstimating, since your heart rate probalby didn't dip too much during the walks. Maybe split the difference and average it out.

edit to add: I used mapmyfitness on my smartphone (along with a C25K app) and it calculates your total calories at the end when you close out the workout. It's just been so long that I forgot! :embarassed:
  • kld4239
    kld4239 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I use my smartphone and downloaded the Rundouble C2K app. You just enter in your weight and it calculates how many calories you burn each time. I log it as "jogging/running" and enter in the time and calories manually.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Until I got an HRM, I would log two activities - oe for the walking minutes and one for the running minutes.

It seeemed to match up reasonably well overall.

Ted
  • lelaspeaks
    lelaspeaks Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    HRM! The only accurate way!
  • Kellyscupcake
    Kellyscupcake Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    mapmywalk app on your smart phone if you are walking/running outside. It uses gps signals to calculate how fast and far you are walk/running and will tell you how many calories you burnt according to your weight you entered.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Seriously you do not need an HRM for couch to 5k. You walk X amount of minutes - probably about 3.5 mph. You run X amount of minutes. You should be able to estimate your pace here as well either based on your overall distance (try RunKeeper.com or MapMyRun.com), or else run the program on a treadmill one day. Good luck!
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Until I got an HRM, I would log two activities - oe for the walking minutes and one for the running minutes.

It seeemed to match up reasonably well overall.

Ted
    This is what I did until I remembered I already had a Garmin Forerunner 305. I'd highly recommend getting a HRM to log any cardio in MFP.

ETA: For those saying you don't need a HRM, they are correct. You don't NEED a HRM, but it does make your logging significantly more accurate. I combine my HRM with the The Journal of Sports Sciences' formula for calculating calories burned:

The Journal of Sports Sciences provides a calorie expenditure formula for each gender. Men use the following formula: Calories Burned = [(Age x 0.2017) -- (Weight x 0.09036) + (Heart Rate x 0.6309) -- 55.0969] x Time / 4.184. Women use the following formula: Calories Burned = [(Age x 0.074) -- (Weight x 0.05741) + (Heart Rate x 0.4472) -- 20.4022] x Time / 4.184.

Source: http://www.livestrong.com/article/221621-formula-for-calories-burned-during-exercise/#ixzz2GvWDKbGP
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    When I ran C-2-5K, I also ran RunKeeper in the background. RunKeeper will tell you what your average minute-per-mile is and you can use that to determine your calorie burn here. I believe it averages out to about a 12-minute mile.
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    When I started I just used mfp and the number of mins run (5mph) and walking (brisk pace). You can track your total distance using something like a walking route planner online if you want to accurate about the pace but it would just be an overall estimate. Now I have a smartphone (birthday pressie ) and use endomondo which tracks your run, works out calories according to your height and weight and imports the calorie burn to mfp.
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I use the Rundouble app to for the workouts and pull the calorie burn from my HRM. I created a custom cardio exercise called C25K and log it that way.
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar HRM that I use to calculate calories & for the C25K week 1 day 1 it says for 25 minutes I burned 122 calories.

Use this only as a guide because my HRM is set up for my height, weight, etc.
  • jena813
    jena813 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I second using the runkeeper simultaneously suggestion...I did that over the summer, and it was also really cool that \I could see where I was going and all the different routes :)
  • swanarae
    Options
    I suggest using RunKeeper as well.
    I have RunKeeper running on my phone as well as using my HRM when do my C25K workout.
    The difference is usually about 70-75 calories between the 2 of them.
    I just like to see what the difference is.