25 lbs will make such a difference!

Options
As cliched as this is, 2013 will be my year for weight loss! After struggling my entire life, I’m ready. I lost 20lbs in 8 weeks in 2011 and gained it all back plus 10 more in 2012. I’m only 10 lbs away from my heaviest which was at 15 years old (230lbs). I am 26 and can’t remember ever weighing less than 180 lbs (for my wedding in 2008). I have a wonderful marriage, moved into a beautiful home in May, have four amazing dogs, and want to start a family within the next year or two. My first goal is just to fit into my clothes again (20-25 lbs) – currently I wear three pairs of pants and 2-3 sweaters – nothing else fits, and I have a huge wardrobe that fit and I loved wearing when I weighed 190-195lbs. If I buy clothes now they will be plus sized, and I can't bring myself to do it. I know it’s horrible, but I do truly believe that I’ll be happier when I weigh less. Right now it’s hard for me to leave my house in the mornings and go to work… I feel like a blob and have no self confidence.

I KNOW that weight does not define me, but I’m so consumed by how I feel that it’s all I can focus on.

My husband is supportive and has never indicated that he has a problem with my weight, but he is an enabler of bad habits and isn’t at the point where he wants to change yet alongside me, so I’m doing this on my own.

Good habits I already have, but haven’t lost weight because of, are:
1) I only drink water, black coffee (1 a day), and teas (without milk or sugar).
2) I start my day with warm lemon water then a Vega One smoothie, usually a banana and water or unsweetened almond milk or fresh green juice using my juicer.
3) I have healthy snacks with me at all times, usually a few nuts, a greek yogurt, or fruit.
4) I only eat bread on the weekends (homemade) and always swap out white carbs (pasta, rice) for healthy alternatives like spaghetti squash and quinoa, brown rice, barley.
5) There is no prepackaged food in our home - everything is made from scratch. The few things that I do buy on occassion (to save time) are natural and organic if possible (i.e. salsa, salad dressings).

My downfalls:
1) Portion control. I eat too much at dinner, even if it is healthy food.
2) Getting enough vegetables and protein while keeping carbs and sugars low.
3) Restaurant meals. We eat out about once a week and I always order unhealthy things. Plan to cut out eating out unless its the local vegan restaurant for the next four weeks (minimum).
4) I LOVE to cook and bake, and I’m pretty good at it. However, I cook with full fats (cream, butter, etc) and far too often. I need to focus on healthier meals. When trying to lose weight I think simple will be better – protein, vegetables, healthy carbs.
5) Exercise. I have an elliptical in storage that I hope to move to my home this weekend. I get outside with the dogs most days but it is regularly -20C right now in central Ontario, so it isn’t for long periods of time. I work a desk job from 8-4:30, which is very unhealthy. Going to a gym is not an option for me right now (plus, I never did well with a gym membership).

I hope to continue my good habits and work on addressing the negative aspects immediately. Any motivators or motivation would be great. I’m aiming for 2-4 lbs/week for the next four to eight weeks, then 1-2 lbs after that to an ultimate first goal of 170lbs (50 lbs) by the end of 2013. I hope to be back into my wardrobe by my 27th birthday on March 25th (approx 11 weeks, so 2.3 lbs/week if aiming for 25lb weight loss).

I started my focus on weight loss on Tuesday and so far my weight has dropped 2.5 lbs - I know it might be faster for the next few weeks but then 1-2 lbs a week will be healthy and ideal.

Thank you!

Replies

• jericenkins
    Options
    Carbs are my absolute weakness so I'm with you on that.

I'm new too, so feel free to add me!

Having people on here to motivate you is a great way to keep sight of your fitness goals.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You've done Great at identify your good points and those you struggle with. There are lots of healthy cooking sites to help you get idea's with your cooking without all the fats. I'm a terrible cook so that is a major downfall for me. At least you like it and are good at it! Learn a few new skills with it and you'll be doing great!!!!

We're here to help!

Will you be able to fit in any exercise too?

Feel free to add me if you're looking for friends.
    Nancy
  • liannesaut
    liannesaut Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm moving my elliptical to the house this weekend - it's a cheap one but will get my heart rate up. My goal to start is 3 times a week for 20-30 minutes. I also get out in the snow for walks with my dogs as much as possible - usually on the weekends since it is dark when I get home from work and horribly cold here right now. I also have a Wii Fit that I plan on hooking up again and working on - especially the yoga portion. I need to get a yoga mat, I have the Biggest Loser Yoga DVD but find it hard on my floors with just a towel. I have a pedometer that I will start wearing tomorrow, just had to get a new battery for it today.
  • astrylian
    astrylian Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the community, that is a very detailed and sincere list you've made - many of us deal with the same struggles!
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    In terms of overeating in the evening, I am wondering if you are eating enough throughout the day? Just a thought. Planning is 1/2 the battle, and you have that down. Keep up with your food diary and you will do great. I just know 2013 is going to be YOUR YEAR!

Marie
  • kayla7jackson
    Options
    You seem to be on the right track. You know what you need to do you just need to stay committed which is the main problem for most people trying to lose weight. I wish you the best of luck and if you need any ideas or help on anything I am here to help. We are all in this together! :) Good luck!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I like how you've started by getting some great healthful habits. Now..just start tracking your calories and adjust your new healthy recipes to low calorie options. I bet you do just great. Hey, look around the "hungry girl" website..she has great recipes and ideas for expanding meals with low calorie fillers..she calls "expanders."

You can do this and impact your family in a healthful way too. Good luck..and see you around the forums. I'm on day two...I also gained 10 pounds above the 30 pounds i lost last year. I could kick myself..but hey..it is what it is. This time..I'm willing to really learn about my calorie intake..how much I can really eat before I gain..no more sticking my head in the sand and doing fad "elimination of foods" kind of diets.

Happy New Year.
  • BrenBringman
    Options
    I have a feeling this WILL be your year! We are here to help each other. MFP is awesome! There are SO many choices out there when it comes to getting your heart rate up and burning a few calories and FEELING GOOD!
    Here's one I found from a MFP friend and tried yesterday and REALLY enjoyed.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRScb2l4Z4g

Friend request sent. Would love to give and get support. :D
    Bren
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    You have all the right things to make this happen - a great attitude, awareness, willingness, goals (just getting the first 20-25 lbs off) ,and knowing it won't always be easy! I, too, had a big issue with portion sizes. Well, that an absolute love of chips. lol I understand about the husband, too. Mine actually complained terribly for the first couple of weeks after I started changing what, how, and how much was cooked for dinner. He can be contrary sometimes. ;) However, even though he didn't officially "diet" with me, he lost about 10lbs just from me changing up dinners! He was happy about that.

Best of luck! I can't wait to see your progress!
  • berrythin79
    berrythin79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey this year... Make some of your down falls into good habits and your well on your way...
  • redpaisleyrose
    Options
    Good Morning,
    I eat much the same as you. I have very similar weight ideas too. My diet, if you call it that, which I made up is.
    "No added fat". No butter, mayo, oil or cheese. (Unless non fat). So I can have milk, just non fat. I can have a hamburger, just no cheese, mayo, or sauce. Instead of butter on my toast, I will use jam. It is a small thing, but it really adds up.

The other thing, and all that I have ever seen be successful, is measuring your food, and writing it down. Believe me, it gets easier as you go along. I too am tired of thinking I have to get new clothes that fit, when I have a closet full.

Great post, and food for thought, (food for thought does not need to be measured!) Good luck, there in the frozen north.
  • liannesaut
    Options
    Thanks everyone, the support is great. I've been carefully tracking calories - I think that focus even for a few weeks will be a step in the right direction. Today I tracked everything this morning before work so I know what I can eat today to stay within my 1200-1300 calorie range. I have no problem getting my 8+ glasses of water in - I drink a lot of water thanks to a kidney defect and really notice when I am dehydrated.

And luckily, I don't mind cooking a somewhat different meal for DH (ie. white rice instead of quinoa), and he's pretty good about eating the same things I do, as long as I keep the veggies he doesn't like separate (mushrooms, asparagus). Last night we had stir fry and salad, and he said it was great. Tonight is boneless pork cutlets and salad, and probably white potatoes for him and a sweet potato for me.
  • cornfritter22
    cornfritter22 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Wow, you're off to a GREAT start. I think you have a great plan! I've been here over a year and I'm still struggling to make exercise a regular part of my day. I can't stress to you enough how much I want you to do better than I have. I feel confident that if I were to have been exercising this whole time, along with eating healthier, I would have been at my goal many months ago! Best of luck to you and hopefully your husband will follow you on the path toward a healthier lifestyle.
  • valldeperas5
    valldeperas5 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You have the focus and I will be happy to support you here on mfp! You can do this! The changes you have made in the past are good ones and they have stuck....so now the new ones you are going to make will too. Remember that you are worth it! Blessing!
  • kdlester
    Options
    I feel the same way, I've gained 20 pounds this year and it's all around my waist. I had a total Hysterectomy in June and that has changed my body and I can't seem to get that weight off. I crave food so much more now and I feel and look horrible, I can't wear anything and don't want to buy anything new because nothing fits right, I would love to lose about 40 pounds and feel good, so today I decided to go and buy a treadmill because I love to walk and listen to music, and I think that will benefite the whole family, I just hope I can stick to this and lose the weight!
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you--I had mostly good habits, but I was sabotaging myself with just a few bad ones. Eating out was a BIG issue for me, and I couldn't outexercise the extra portion sizes. I've been much smarter about the food I choose at restaurants, and controlling portion sizes by eating more quality less quantity. It's made a BIG difference. I've also added a bit of extra exercise in the mix, and so far it's working.
  • carolynkaykerr
    Options
    You have great goals and motivation for getting off to a good start. Just don't be discouraged if the weight doesn't come off quite as quickly as you'd like it to, after the first few weeks.

I was losing at least 2 lbs a week for the first 4 months starting the last week in May of 2012 and am now losing not quite a lb a week. I'm ok with that, but get a little discouraged at times as I liked the higher weight loss. My new diet and excercise have become a lifestyle and now which also makes it easier to keep on track.

Good luck! And you are right, 25lbs does make a difference.
  • debsey99
    debsey99 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates have always been my downfall, I have finally learnt to control them, well for today anyway. The food diary really helps. Over the last few years I have lost a lot of weight and then over the last few months I have slipped for one reason or another and put on 10lbs so now I need to stop. I am with you and need to get rid of the final 50lbs then that's it. It sounds easy but I know it's not, but you are all amazing on here and we can all help each other. Please fell free to add me. Good luck everyone.
  • liannesaut
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and to all my new "friends," thanks for helping me stay on track. I'm down over 10 lbs since I wrote this post - will soon be halfway to my first goal! I'm already noticing a difference, even though I'm right around my previous heaviest weight in five years. Pulled a few pieces of clothing out of the "too small" pile and have lots of energy (and some detox headaches :S). Not going to kill myself exercising twice a day or anything, but 4-5 times a week is my goal right now (since I'm going from 1-2 times a week for a year). The calorie counting is what's helping so much - what a great tool. Hope everyone else is doing well and seeing some progress, however small! I want to have an excuse to buy a new bathing suit or two for our upcoming trip to Mexico - I have 7 weeks to go!