Sweet Tooth, my downfall

Options
Hey, I joined some time ago when i weighed about 160lbs but wasn't very serious in making a change. I am now. I'm 27 years old and 190lb, this is my heaviest. I have a serious sweet tooth and this is my downfall. The thing is that my calorie intake for a typical day without snacking is about 1600-1700 calories but I just crave something sweet. I'm gonna have to work hard to loose this weight. I'm glad I decided to re-join myfitnesspal because I just cant do this alone. I need some friends to do this with me, add me if you feel the same.

Replies

• ladynica
    ladynica Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I have a MEAN sweet tooth. That and breads are my biggest enemies right now. I can always use friends. Feel free to add me. (This goes for anyone, the more the merrier).
  • Lconsla
    Lconsla Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    sigh...me too. I've never had a problem with portion control, I have issues with junk food. chocolate and chips Lol...feel free to add me, always looking for new friends!
  • slb_71
    slb_71 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, have the same problem. I don't eat alot, just have a serious sweet tooth. I weigh now what I weighed when I delivered my children, ugh! I know this has to be a lifestyle change, but it is so hard to do alone. I could use the motivation as well. I not only want to lose the weight, but feel better each day. Not winded from reading a story outloud or climbing the stairs (in my own house)! We can do this!!!!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Why not find a way to work something sweet into those 1600-1700 cals?

Apparently, some people eat beets and peas to help with cravings. True story.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I have a sweet tooth bad HOWEVER if I keep fruit (fresh & frozen) in the house, I'm good.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Me too! Sugar is my bane; in the past when I've binged, it's been all about sugar. I can house an entire bag of hershey's milk chocolate kisses without blinking (until I step on the scale later!) It's tough, but what I've found works for me is dark chocolate. The higher the cocoa % the less I induldge, although, I noticed if I go too dark, it doesn't satisfy the sweet craving. My other go-to is fat free milk with a squirt of hershey's syrup.

Good luck, and feel free to add me if you like :)
  • HeidiChriston
    HeidiChriston Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try cucumbers with a sprinkle of cinnamon and equal ( splenda/stevia/sweet and low)
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    try sugar free jello, still taste sweet and even if you add a little whip cream still not many calories. Definately not the same as a cookie but might help get over the sugar craving :)
  • tegtmeyerd
    tegtmeyerd Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Oh my sweet tooth gets me in trouble! I try not to buy the sweets so I don't eat them, but the problem is I love to BAKE!

Feel free to add me too!
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i have a pb&j to quell my sweet tooth
  • ChelseaM18
    Options
    I feel your pain! I have a major sweet tooth, but Coke Zero or some type of diet soda or zero calorie drink mix REALLY helps, in-fact I crave that more than I would sugar at the moment. However, that is just my preference in-case you have a deterrent to diet sodas :) . Also sometimes if I eat filling foods, or a big salad that's high in volume, it fills my stomach and the craving just kind of fades away. Good luck!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Get the sweets out of the house. Use fruit or veggies like sweet potatoes to gix yourself that fix. After about a week of not eating sweets, you won't have that craving anymore.

This is coming from someone who had to have ice cream or cookies every night
  • dajonmiller
    Options
    Ppl who do not have a sweet don't understand! It's not about working it into your caloric intake because there is no way to have two cookies. You grab two and then it's two more and the. It's two more and then Your like the heck with it I might as well eat the last two! I have tried eating fruit to "substitute" the cravings but its NOT the same ????
  • erinpooh
    Options
    I eat Fiber One bars most of the time to satisfy my cravings, and I always leave room in my diet for sweets. Every once in a while, I will splurge on a really nice dessert. It's something I work on all the time though. I try not to keep sweets in the house.
  • Eacoy
    Eacoy Posts: 1
    Options
    Holidays threw me way back. If I eat sugar, butter and chocolate, I want MORE. The tough part is abstinence long enough to quell the cravings. Then if I am around those foods, I try to run.

Overeating sweet potatoes, sf pudding and sf jello and fruit with whipped cream is my transition strategy. Delays weight loss but gets cravings under control.
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    I have the same problem!! If I drink Diet Soda, it creeps in more...I also find that the more sugar I have the more I want. So, I try to limit it! Fiber One Brownies work well, along with throwing in some Fruit, since that is natural sugars. Sugar Free Gum, especially the Extra Dessert gum helps a lot as well. also, believe it or not, getting my required amount of water in helps as well.

Every once in a while, I will splurge and have Ice Cream or something but have to make sure I have NO OTHER BAD sugar around after so I can "recover" and get back on track after it.

GOOD LUCK!!!! it sucks but there are ways around it! :-)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Ppl who do not have a sweet don't understand! It's not about working it into your caloric intake because there is no way to have two cookies. You grab two and then it's two more and the. It's two more and then Your like the heck with it I might as well eat the last two! I have tried eating fruit to "substitute" the cravings but its NOT the same ????

Shut up. You don't understand. Fit it in. It works if you want it to. I can't tell you how many times I've had chocolate for breakfast and been fine at the end of the day. And no, not 1 or 2 hershey kisses. try 10-15 peanut butter smidgens.

Oh, and nice self control you've got there.
  • SheenaRamlochan
    SheenaRamlochan Posts: 5 Member
    Options

lol know what you mean. It's like having to actually substitute a meal for a sweet fix, and fruits just cant give me the same feeling that chocolates or brownies can give.
  • superstar_commish
    Options
    Talk about sweet tooth.. I binge on Chips Ahoy, Coke, and Mc Donald's Mc Flurry.
    The way to replace those cravings is using delicious protein shakes as a substitute.

1 scoop of 100% Whey Protein - Vanilla (I get it from Costco)
    Banana
    1 tablespoon of Skippy's peanut butter.

I use the Magic Bullet to blend it, and I usually freeze it in the freezer for 30 minutes after so that it's icy.
    I like to think I'm eating an ice cream float when I'm drinking it, so I guess it works.
  • THuffman1967
    THuffman1967 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is my major downfall. Before MFP, I could eat an entire bag of Dove chocolate miniatures in 24 hours. If it's in the house, I'm gonna eat it. Christmas was so bad (junk food wise). It was everywhere, and I was eating it! The key for me is to not have it around in large quantities. I do allow myself a little sweet treat nearly every day. Skinny Cow makes great candy and ice cream sandwiches for about 120 - 150 calories. Jell-O fat free sugar free pudding does a pretty good job of satisfying my cravings. So does 1 TBS. of Nutella on a graham cracker.