I need to hear some PCOS success stories!

Options
Hello!

I'm new to the board and though I could have introduced myself on that forum, I decided to jump right to support: Because I need some!

I'm 22 and I've been dealing with PCOS since I was 11 years old. In the past 5 years its worsened dramatically and for the past 6 months, I've ended up in the hospital for the severe pain the cysts are giving me. The pill is the only major source of comfort and relief for women with PCOS, but unfortunately I can't take it due to hormonal complications.

Now that I'm a wife (Three Years) and I have a son (Ten Months) I can't just take this lying down anymore. I started two months ago dieting, less carbs, less calories, more protein, only to have nothing happen to that hated scale. I've lost not one pound. Its the most frustrating thing in the world! To sit and knaw on nuts whilst everyone else eats BREAD!?

So I decided to get back on Metformin (Was on it in 2003, couldn't take the stomach aches) and continue with this diet. I'm also determined to add exercising to this. My issue is, I'm either on my period, waiting for my period, or post period and there are horrible symptoms for all three of those times! So exercising can be so hard for me, but enough. I refuse to be overweight anymore. I want a life. I want to feel good! I want to fight this PCOS and by loosing weight that is the best way I can think of to say, "HAHA! I am victorious!"

Thus, I would love to hear from any of you. If you are currently dealing with PCOS, if you've overcome, anything! I would love to hear! I'm so sorry for how long this is, but my grand friend turned me onto this site, so you can blame her!

Replies

• Singinladeda
    Options
    Hello!

I'm new to the board and though I could have introduced myself on that forum, I decided to jump right to support: Because I need some!

I'm 22 and I've been dealing with PCOS since I was 11 years old. In the past 5 years its worsened dramatically and for the past 6 months, I've ended up in the hospital for the severe pain the cysts are giving me. The pill is the only major source of comfort and relief for women with PCOS, but unfortunately I can't take it due to hormonal complications.

Now that I'm a wife (Three Years) and I have a son (Ten Months) I can't just take this lying down anymore. I started two months ago dieting, less carbs, less calories, more protein, only to have nothing happen to that hated scale. I've lost not one pound. Its the most frustrating thing in the world! To sit and knaw on nuts whilst everyone else eats BREAD!?

So I decided to get back on Metformin (Was on it in 2003, couldn't take the stomach aches) and continue with this diet. I'm also determined to add exercising to this. My issue is, I'm either on my period, waiting for my period, or post period and there are horrible symptoms for all three of those times! So exercising can be so hard for me, but enough. I refuse to be overweight anymore. I want a life. I want to feel good! I want to fight this PCOS and by loosing weight that is the best way I can think of to say, "HAHA! I am victorious!"

Thus, I would love to hear from any of you. If you are currently dealing with PCOS, if you've overcome, anything! I would love to hear! I'm so sorry for how long this is, but my grand friend turned me onto this site, so you can blame her!
  • laureneva
    laureneva Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Firstly, welcome to the MFP family and don't be sorry for how long it is, its cool!
    I'm currently dealing with PCOS as well, I was diagnosed about grade 11 (two-three years ago now) although I haven't really had a check up in about a year now, i hate going to the doctors and especially hated having the ultra-sounds done:grumble:
    Unlike yours, mine is controlled (successfully) by the pill.
    I have recently changed my diet, as I was told this would help ease the symptoms of it (or something along those lines) But I have heard that the severity of it is directly linked to your weight, so yes, this site will help.
    Here are a few sites i just quickly found, they might be useful to you or someone who was just diagnosed or who wants to know more. There a site i signed up to when i first got diagnosed, but atm I can't find it, sorry.
    http://www.managingpcos.org.au/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/
    http://pcos.insulitelabs.com/?campain=google&gclid=CKvFtd-r2ZMCFQWNggod4T22YQ
    http://www.pcosmatters.com/
    Good luck, and keep me posted! I really hope you beat it.:flowerforyou:
    Lauren.
  • neurogirl
    neurogirl Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I know exactly what you are going through. I have been diagnosed with PCOS for the past 9 years, although I've had it longer before I was actually diagnosed. I gained over 80 lbs in a matter of months before we knew what was going on (this happens easily when you have no insurance). Of course, during the end of high school, which is an extra nice ego crushing blow. :noway:

Anyways, so far, I have managed to lose about 56 pounds of what I gained quickly. I feel your pain. I have been on Metformin for years and birth control. Recently, I have had to increase my Metformin (and afraid of developing diabetes due to family history so I don't mind) although there are ways to overcome the stomach upset. There is an extended release version or if you break up the dose to 2 or 3 times a day, it decreases some of the stomach upset quite a bit. If you can stomach it (bad pun), the side effects tend to decrease anyways, as I have rediscovered recently.

First, don't give up hope! It's possible to lose weight. I know it seems hard and it's quite annoying because one of the wonderful symptoms of PCOS is "difficulty losing weight." I have found that the Metformin actually helps with that because your body is actually breaking down some of the glucose that goes straight to your stomach. You will not be super model tummy, but it's something.

I found that for me, working out regularly and eating healthy (not necessarily low carb) has made a great impact on my weight. I tend to revamp my eating habits every few years but overall, eating a good variety of everything keeps me eating better, keeps me happier, and I have been able to lose the weight slowly but surely. I had tried a low carb diet but with my school schedule and working full time, it was nearly impossible, plus I didn't feel like I could keep it up. I tried the South Beach diet and that was okay for about a month and lost it. Just trying to be somewhat aware of what I should try to eat less frequently helps, and changing to whole grain and wheat products allows me more flexibility with my carbs. Doing a good combination of cardio and strength training has also helped me lose an additional 21 lbs since September, and that includes living throught the holidays and not really watching what I eat every minute of the day. Part of why I joined MFP was to try to consume the "appropriate" amount of calories for maximum weight loss.

Congratulations on the baby! I'm still not sure if I'll be able to have a child, but hope to in the future. Feel free to contact me anytime! Hope that this helps somewhat. :flowerforyou: Hang in there! It's possible :smile:
  • Me_Im_2b
    Me_Im_2b Posts: 165
    Options
    I too have PCOS; however, mine is not nearly as painful as yours sounds, and mine can be controlled by bc and spiranolactone. I was just chatting with someone the other day and they gave me this website to check out. I haven't had time to check it yet, but I hope it helps you! :flowerforyou:

www.soulcysters.com
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    If you can't take the pill for hormonal reasons, could you use natural progesterone cream? It is not synthesized, so the body takes it very nicely, through the skin, and the dosage is much lower than what you have to take by mouth.

There are many good brands: Progest, Progestacare; Femcream; and can be found at GNC stores or your local health food store. Google Dr. Lee and progesterone cream and see what you come up with.
  • Singinladeda
    Options
    Oh my gosh!!! Thank you oh so much EVERYONE! This has been such a boost for me! Thank you!!!

laureneva - Thank you so much! I will check those websites out ASAP! :smile:

neurogirl - THANK YOU! Your success is so awesome! I know what you mean about the ego crushing...everyone says after marriage you gain weight. Well I confirmed that one for everyone! I'm hoping that with being back on the Metformin I will just get the boost I need. I'm a fairly low dosage right now...500 mg for the first week and 1000 mg after that. I'm sure that you'll be able to have a baby! I've had this for 11 years now...I was not on BC for the first year and a half of marriage. I was SURE I was never going to have a baby, and then randomly, after an exploratory surgery to see if my pain was anything BUT the PCOS, BOOM! 21 days after the surgery: Pregnant! But ANYHOW, I could go on and on, bottom line, Thank you. I look forward to chit chatting with you some more, if you want! :smile: THANK YOU!

Me_Im_2b - Thank you!! I've looked at it a little bit and I think I may sign on. Let me know if you do! So then I can find ya!

beep - Hey! I've tried Progesterone before. Infact, I just recently gave up on that. I've been using it for 6 years on and off again. I haven't found that it really helps me, but I hear so many good things about it! I found out about it after I started to have to get my periods jump started with progesterone shots. Thank you!!!!
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS, not as rough as you but it still causes issues. Gotta love all the symptoms that can come along with it. I've been dealing with mine almost 10 years (when I first was diagnosed with it).

I haven't lost weight really....maybe 5-10 lbs max (not including pregnancy weight). What I mostly do is tone up. I work out a lot and am on here to see if better food choices help.

Don't feel like you are along, obviously there are tons of us who have this same issue and it's good to know there is support and understanding.
  • Starlightdusk
    Starlightdusk Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The www.soulcysters.net website is the best message board for PCOS there is so much information and support there. It is actually through there that I found this site. If you you have PCOS you should check it out.
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Lower your carb intake.

I gained 8 lbs in a month due to pcos + a liver crash (not quite related but kinda because although my liver recovered, my pcos aggrivated everything) and then 8 more lbs the next month eee!! Couldn't lose it AT ALL!!

So I finally had to cut out most processed stuff, inhale about 100 oz of water a day (room temp, not ice cold) stop drinking diet soda (yup) and anything that could possibly make weight pack around your stomach.

Luckily I figured out what worked out when the weight gain had hit 18 lbs, not 80...but it was really sad going from 98 to 116 in a short time is A LOT on a tiny frame.

MFP has REALLY helped.

Honestly - you don't have to do total Atkins but I think that cutting out white breads, diet sodas, etc. really help.

Oh - forget snack bars and snack packs. Eat fiber and fruits. Sounds boring but once your body gets used to the goodies you're putting into it, the pain is helped, too.

It's not just eating right or healthy - it's eating as pure as possible.

No you don't have to eat boring... he he.

Also - up your chicken and fish if you have not.

Spinach and carrots can also work wonders.

Can you drink cafffiene? I'm on my period now and won't give it up. Had a grande today from Starbucks (skinny, 200 calories) and enjoyed every sip. Helps with the cramps. (midol has caffeine in it btw)

Heh.
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    PS One of the reasons that low carb helps is because of the low GI index.

So check out the GI index of a lot of foods before you eat them. Google for a chart =) and yes you can still eat some fruits and veggies !!
  • laureneva
    laureneva Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Hey, no problem,
    I hope those websites help, or have some useful information, I haven't checked them out myself yet
    probably should do that now... lol
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    Hey Singinladeda... :o)

I just wanted to let you know...You do it. You loose the weight. You beat PCOS. YES you loose a uterus along the way but who is counting body parts, lol! You don't just loose 40 pounds, you lose 65. I was looking at your previous posts and you know that kickboxing dvd that tires you out? Yeah, you can do the whole thing now and go for a jog afterward. I'm not writing this to brag. I'm writing this to let you know that even though you doubted yourself continuously every single day, you had it in you all along.

65 pounds girl. :wink:
    Tara
    P.S. Oh and while we are on the topic of loosing body parts, you are going to loose your gall bladder in about t-minus one month so you might want to take it easy, not stress too much, relax because it was SUPER painful! Hehe! Good Luck!
  • turbojanem
    Options
    i don't have PCOS, but i do have my share of hormone issues.... have not conceived and do have endometriosis. and i am 43, so in that category of "my metabolism is slow and i can't lose weight."

here's my story in short:
    *Sept 07 i weighted in at 205 at my annual. (size 20) lost about 20 pounds through Dr. Ann Kulze eating plan.
    *May 09 i weighted in at 177. (size 18)
    *Jan 10, still 177. (size 18) started riding my stationary bike like CRAZY. in a 5 week period, i road over 300 miles.
    *July 4th, down to 167 and size 16. NOT enough results for my liking with all the riding of my bike.
    *July 12th, started Turbo Jam DVD's and watching my intake of food and measuring my food. late Aug, starte Shakeology daily.
    *Oct 5th, down to 145 and a size TEN!
    *last measurement was beginning of November, down 20 pounds and 18.5 inches. and wearing some size 8's.
    *this week, weighted in at 142.6.

that's my story. i pray that you find what works for you. i KNOW that feeling uncomfortable stinks. i KNOW this. there is hope for all of us, we have to fight for our health and find what works for our bodies and families.

i also have been going to a Chiropractor for a degenerative back issue. i am convinced, and my Husband too who has a medical degree and works in a hospital, that there is LOTS of room for Chiropractic techniques. my Chiropractor is a Maximized living doctor, which i totally agree with their techniques and thinking.

please fell free to message me for more encouragement and support. i DO know how much better i feel head to toe, as well as my mind and soul. the weight that i was carrying around physically and spiritually was VERY heavy. freedom from that pain has been so beautiful.

cheering you on!
    Jane