10-12 Hour Crock Pot Recipes?

Options
Rage_Phish
Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
I leave for work just before 7:00 am and don't return until 6:00 pm. Does anyone have any good crock pot recipes that will work with a 10-12 hour cook time?

Thanks!

Replies

• Narla444
    Narla444 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't have any longer recipes, but I plug my crock pot into a timer so it doesn't come on until mid-day.
    I have it set up in a cold room (about 7C in the winter), so I'm not too worried about leaving meat out at room teperature.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have found that some recipes that say 6-8 hours do fine if you leave them 10-12 hrs. Typically the meat only gets more tender or the flavors become more infused. I don't think that leaving a recipe in the crockpot longer would have many detrimental side effects if you left it a little longer.
  • kristinglori
    Options
    You can buy one of the things that will turn your Christmas lights off and on...they work for crockpots and I know people who use them all of the time. You just set the timer to turn on several hours after you leave for work...this will allow you to cook things in your crockpot that have a shorter cooking time. Otherwise I'd recommend buying a crockpot with a built-in timer. They're really not that expensive. $55-60. But today's crockpots cook at about 60 degrees higher than the crockpots from 1960-70. So old recipes that would have taken 10-12 hours probably just won't work very well in today's crockpot if you're not able to come home and switch it to low at least.
  • paulathoren1
    paulathoren1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Here is one my family loves for Pork Chili Verde

Here is a great quick and easy Chile Verde.

3 – 5 pounds of pork shoulder or butt – whatever has less fat

Add:
    a can of chicken broth,
    an onion (chopped),
    garlic,
    a little cumin,
    a large can of Green Chile Enchilada Sauce,
    large can of roasted and chopped green chilis,
    a large jar of green chile salsa (contaiins tomotillos)
    and if you want some “heat” add some cayenne or chipotle chili powder. .

Cook on low for 10 hours and it can go into the “warm” cycle for another couple of hours so 12 hours works. Serve with warmed tortillas, sour cream and cheese and fresh cilantro (optional)
  • kristinglori
    Options
    Also, another thing that I do...because lately I'm super paranoid about the crockpot burning the house down...I don't know why but I just am lol. Probably because our house isn't electrically sound at all (rent house, ugh)

Anyway...I have two crockpots and sometimes I will cook in them on the weekend/days off and freeze everything. So when I get home after a long day of work I just have to pop it in the oven or microwave for a few minutes. Not exactly the same as an instant, hot meal...but close enough and you still know what went into it.
  • coachjade1
    coachjade1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use the crockpot ALL the time... I leave it on low for about the same time you do and sometimes its sits longer as my kids and I eat at 5:30 sometimes and my husband may not make it home until 7:00 and I leave it on for him. I make chicken soup and don't add noodles or potatoes until later if at all. I have also made my whole wheat pasta the night before and add it as soon as I get in the door. A friend of mine will add canned potatoes when she is adding them and they just warm up. I use pinterest a lot and have a crockpot and a venison board that I get my recipes from there. However that was before I got back on the watching of my calories board... (ha ha).
    Now today I have my crockpot rolling with a pork chop recipe that we love and I have the calories stuff added in here but I think I can go back and make it public. But it's super EASY!
    1 can of 98% FF cream of chicken soup (I use walmart brand)
    1 envelope of dry Ranch dressing mix
    pork chops (I put in 4 of them and could put more in but that is all we eat)
    I just toss it in and let it cook on low. My husand thought I was making some huge fuss and over our break last week he helped me with it and realized how easy it was. I will serve it with pasta - the kids and hubby like egg noodles and I am going to try it with the whole wheat ones as a healthier option. The soup and ranch mix make a tasty gravy that my family loves but adds a nice flavor to the chops. Serve it with a veggie and you've got a SUPER meal. With the liquid in it it should not dry out cooking for that long but if you put more chops in I might add some water.

I will keep you in mind when I search! Post any good ones you find - I love my crockpot!
  • tikkathyme
    tikkathyme Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This is a great question, I'm interested in finding some new recipes. The idea of using a timer and having all the ingredients sitting out before it turns on grosses me out, bacteria can grow pretty quickly. Some of the newer pots will automatically switch to "keep warm" at a certain time, that seems much safer.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Wow! The timer is genius, I cant believe I didn't think of that lol.

Thanks for the recipes, and feel free to keep them coming!