Holy ABS!!

imagymrat
imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Coming up with some different stuff at the gym, doing some research and found an ab workout that is KILLER! I couldn't believe how challenging these were...

Wall Walkouts

Wall walkouts seem very simple, a movement where you start in a handstand against the wall and then you walk out until you are parallel to the ground. ( looks like a plank position, but your feet are still against the wall) At that point, you walk your hands back to the starting position. Well, it is not quite that simple. This movement will kick your butt, quickly. Not only will you be building a strong core (anti-extension) but you will develop serious shoulder strength and stability.

THIS IS NOT for the faint of heart, it's brutal!! anyone who tries this out, let me know what you think of it, i'm debating if i'll add it to my experienced bootcamp class, if you have shoulder issues, do not do these!....I did a few sets of these this morning, and i'm feeling them!

Replies

• borisda
    borisda Posts: 122 Member
    I've just tried it in my bedroom with my wife going nuts for having my feet on the wall (not that I listen to her). I didn't find it to hard and I manged 4 with a 3 second pause when horizontal, but the blood rush was a bit weird. Thumbs up though and I think you should torture you class with it.
  • imagymrat
    Thank you for the feedback! I have a class who hates planks, and this will not be well received, but I liked it!
  • borisda
    I love the plank, it's my chance to get my breath back in the ABS class.
  • imagymrat
    :laugh: Im the same, I find the plank a relaxing move, it stretches everything out, I could hold for quite some time. At one point though Icouldn't hold a plank position for longer then 20 seconds, now i'm good for a solid 5 minutes!
  • borisda
    5 minutes thats tough going the most I've done is 1.5 minutes and got bored so I just do it in 1 minute reps but I also do side planks to get those obliques
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    A class that hates planks, huh? Sounds like they are just the people who need to DO them! :happy:

This move sounds crazy. I might have to try it.
  • i dont really understand what to do..
  • imagymrat
    do leg pulses when you're in plank position, first lift the right, small little pulses then the leftor the one arm alternate leg up position, if I do them that way I only last a little over a minute. lol, kaitlin, so very true, planks, and mountain climbers, they all start groaning!:laugh:
  • borisda
    I should do mountain climbers they look tough. Also try the plank with your legs on a swiss ball then if your really tough legs and elbows on swiss balls but I've only seen one person (it was a woman by the way) do this at the gym and it looks hardcore.
  • imagymrat
    i dont really understand what to do..

Walk your feet up a wall, so you're in a handstand position, (walk your hands forward and your feet down the wall until your body is in a plank position, never taking your feet off the wall. then back it up until you're in the starting position, you need to hold the "plank" position for a few seconds before returning to start, doe sthis make sense?:laugh: if not just google 'em..lol
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Haha - your bootcamp just killed me, there is NO WAY I'm going to try this!
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    I think I want to try it, just one question, how is that move on the lower back? I have some L5 and s1 disc issues so I wonder how bad that would be (and I am afraid to try it!) Love all the ideas tho' Thanks!
  • imagymrat
    I think I want to try it, just one question, how is that move on the lower back? I have some L5 and s1 disc issues so I wonder how bad that would be (and I am afraid to try it!) Love all the ideas tho' Thanks!

I'd definitely be careful, only because of the position you're in and if you should fall? I don' know, have someone beside you to make sure you're ok. A Quick tip...not for back problems though!! I added hand weights and when I came into the plank position, I held it and lifted a hand weight, as if I was doing a row, then the other hand...back to starting pos..it added a whole new element
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    sounds good! one of my favorite exercises is the renegade row (I use 15 pound weights and do my rows in the push up position!)
This discussion has been closed.