Sweet Tooth, my downfall

Options

Replies

• SheenaRamlochan
    SheenaRamlochan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oh my sweet tooth gets me in trouble! I try not to buy the sweets so I don't eat them, but the problem is I love to BAKE!

Feel free to add me too!

Me too, I love to bake, I try to bake smaller cookies and small cupcakes though.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Talk about sweet tooth.. I binge on Chips Ahoy, Coke, and Mc Donald's Mc Flurry.
    The way to replace those cravings is using delicious protein shakes as a substitute.

1 scoop of 100% Whey Protein - Vanilla (I get it from Costco)
    Banana
    1 tablespoon of Skippy's peanut butter.

I use the Magic Bullet to blend it, and I usually freeze it in the freezer for 30 minutes after so that it's icy.
    I like to think I'm eating an ice cream float when I'm drinking it, so I guess it works.

Try adding 1/2c or so of Edy's Slow Churned french vanilla ice cream... sooo goooood...
  • chriscolh
    chriscolh Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. As a child, my parents would call me "chocolate mouse." And I can't stop at just one treat, either. Things that have worked for me are 1) get rid of those foods that I can't control my intake of, (for me, that includes keeping cake mixes locked up and never, ever buying sweetened condensed milk, because then I have to open it and make caramel sauce... yes, I know I have a serious problem) and 2) finding acceptable substitutes that can carry me through the day when that craving strikes. Fiber One brownies are good enough, but not so good that I can't stop eating them, and only 90 calories. Another thing that I use is the "great value" (wal-mart's generic version of crystal light) energy single serving drinks. I actually schedule a time when I can break that one out - I love the blueberry acai flavor, and it satisfies that sweet tooth during the hardest part of the day, mid afternoon. And when I really want a treat, I do a "breakfast sundae," which is a diced banana topped with low-fat (can't stand fat free dairy) cottage cheese, topped with a teaspoon or two of strawberry jam, and sprinkled with granola. You've got fruit, dairy, protien, a little sweet jam, and even some crunch on top. And because I have to make one bowl at at time, once the bowl is gone, it's gone, and I can walk away. Hope that helps! Good luck!
  • jesirose80
    Options
    Yes the diet soda's help me too! I love my diet dr pepper! :)
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Ppl who do not have a sweet don't understand! It's not about working it into your caloric intake because there is no way to have two cookies. You grab two and then it's two more and the. It's two more and then Your like the heck with it I might as well eat the last two! I have tried eating fruit to "substitute" the cravings but its NOT the same ????

lol know what you mean. It's like having to actually substitute a meal for a sweet fix, and fruits just cant give me the same feeling that chocolates or brownies can give.

The more you eat of those foods the more you crave it.
    I won't argue who has a bigger sweet tooth b/c it's a pointless argument

Either you want to or not
    Make the change or don't
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I too have a pretty bad sweet tooth *sigh*.....I try to fend it off by eating fruit or some protein. Worst case scenario, I have a small bite of what I'm craving or have some dark chocolate chips with almonds. Also a baked sweet potato with cinnamon and splenda usually do the trick too :-)
  • 1zaBanda
    Options
    I know what you mean!!!! I love chocolate! But honey - you are going to just have to say "NO"....start out with small pieces of candy and work your way to zero or less than what you normally would. Not only do you have to worry about the calories but health issues like diabetes. I have it now and well I have to work twice as hard to stop those cravings. You can do it, just work a little harder.
  • jinlopez
    Options
    Oh yeah.... junk food.....sodas (regular AND diet).....and PIZZA!!
  • chrisvinci
    Options
    If you can't break your sweet junk food addiction, then make sure you are eating under the amount of calories FitnessPal says to. And if that means replacing healthy food with candy then so be it. Also you will need to exercise daily to burn off these calories if you want to lose weight. Try a program like Insanity.
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    Talk about sweet tooth.. I binge on Chips Ahoy, Coke, and Mc Donald's Mc Flurry.
    The way to replace those cravings is using delicious protein shakes as a substitute.

Banana

I use the Magic Bullet to blend it, and I usually freeze it in the freezer for 30 minutes after so that it's icy.
    I like to think I'm eating an ice cream float when I'm drinking it, so I guess it works.

Love this idea...going to try it tonight! Thx
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Chocolate and anything with chocolate in it. :love: The only thing I found that works for me is FF pudding. I don't eat the sugar free because I can't take the taste of artificial sweetners. :noway: It's 100 cals. and worth it to me!
  • Slaci_Jo
    Slaci_Jo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I used to have a terrible sweet tooth, however its gets easier. Just cut out a little at a time. I've gotten myself down to where I am ok with having 1 cup of hot chocolate a day. Occasionally I will splurge and have a little more, but trust me it gets easier. Any more if I have more than say 1 cookie or a few mini hersheys I get sick.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I love pie. Not gonna lie. ANd nutella. I'm training my taste and body to have 'healither' sweets these days, but I fall to weakness time to time.

A great resource for altnerative recepies for me has been this tumblr:
    http://undressedskeleton.tumblr.com/
  • Rels14
    Rels14 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    sweet tooth is definitely my weakness! Not bread, not meat, not sodas, but refined sugars and processed foods known as sweets (brownies, cookies, cake -- anything with chocolate! My goal is to reduce the amount of sweets that I intake this year. I know that other than exercising regularly, that my sweet tooth is the death of me! And 1zaBanda is so right about being concerned with more than just your waistline -- Diabetes. Fortunately, I have not been diagnosed with the incurable disease, but it's a real threat if I keep opening my mouth to sweets. Will power to say No. It's okay every once in awhile...
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    http://www.womentowomen.com/understandyourbody/symptoms/cravings.aspx

This link might be a fun read for some that have posted including the OP. I certainly didn't realize that cravings meant more than just wanting something to eat :)

I am one of those that just CRAVE, almost as if being pregnant where you can almost smell the food and then it's all I think about... Control over that craving is so hard, so I know where you are coming from.
  • osmith1999
    osmith1999 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Well let's face it, sugar is addictive and we're all addicted! I have greatly reduced this addiction. You have to attack it physically and mentally. Once you get control over it, cravings go away and you lose weight much more easily. My long post below tells how I did it.

Physical 1) - The first thing to do is to get a blood check and make sure that you are not diabetic or pre-diabetic. These conditions increase your desire for sugar and your body does not eliminate the sugar properly. There is medication that helps with that (Metformin?). It will reduce the desire for sugar and help your body eliminate it. You can have this condition at any weight, and it is very dangerous so get checked by your doctor. People I know that had this condition could not lose weight without the meds.

Physical 2) Recognize that cravings are irritating but only last for a short while (approx 15 min?). You're going to have to tough it out sometimes. Find something to do to get your mind off of the cravings (walk the dog, meditate, etc.). Eat substitutions such as fruit (the best), or sugar free/low sugar treats. Chocolate vita-muffin tops are one of my favorites. (The experts say that sugar free is not good in the long run, but I think it's okay to start there. Sugar will kill you, sugar substitutes will not.) Try not to be around sugar treats as much as possible. (No sweets in the house). Allow yourself a reasonable sugar treat occasionally (once a week).

Mental) Now for the mental part of the addiction. Here's what I do. Picture myself at 600 lbs eating that treat. Picture myself at 125 lbs walking away. Picture a bag of dirty grease that went into the making of the treat (works for french fries too!). Say to myself "that's nasty that's nasty that's nasty" over and over again. Or if I know it's good say to myself "it's not worth it". Look over your food diary every day and see how much those sweets, treats, and meats add to your calorie count. You will want to cut them out the next day.
  • trhops
    trhops Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I am Queen of Sweets. For sure, my downfall!
  • oJulia
    oJulia Posts: 33
    Options

Banana

^this or fat free chocolate pudding and sugar free cool whip makes a nice chocolate moose.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Same here. I'm 22, 185lbs (as of today; 191 at my heaviest) and have a mean sweet tooth. Trying to give up sugar, at least for a bit until I get better control over it. Managed to go without any at all yesterday and craved candy and white bread like crazy! Learned things like milk have way more sugars that I thought! Managed to break my soda habit a couple months ago at least! Currently trying to figure out a balanced diet without a ton of sugars.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I used to have a terrible sweet tooth, however its gets easier. Just cut out a little at a time. I've gotten myself down to where I am ok with having 1 cup of hot chocolate a day. Occasionally I will splurge and have a little more, but trust me it gets easier. Any more if I have more than say 1 cookie or a few mini hersheys I get sick.

Hot chocolate :love: