Jogging with a stroller really that much harder?

Options
So a couple weeks ago I was really eager to start walking/jogging with the goal that I'd eventually become a runner. Getting back into the groove of jogging has never been hard for me. I started out with my 4 1/2 year old running beside me, alternating jogging and walking. It started out great but I found in the end he would run out of energy before I would ( surprised me!) So I decided to purchase a jogging stroller. Today was the first morning I used our new stroller and I gotta say I got pain in my ears and totally winded within the first 2 blocks! What is going on here? Is pushing the stroller really that much harder to do or would the frosty temperatures be to blame? I live in the SF bay area and it was around 35 degrees. I know I probably just sound inexperienced and uninformed but I was really shocked that I didn't feel that same "free" feeling while I was jogging.

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I have been running for about 6 years now and I CANNOT run with a stroller. I have been running about 4 miles at a 9 min pace and I went with a stroller once and didn't make it a mile. It takes training to be able to change how you run I am thinking LOL
  • catieishealthy23
    catieishealthy23 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have been running for about 6 years now and I CANNOT run with a stroller. I have been running about 4 miles at a 9 min pace and I went with a stroller once and didn't make it a mile. It takes training to be able to change how you run I am thinking LOL

I am hoping that even if it's hard I can adjust, just until my son enters Kindergarten.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I used to run all the time (4-5 X a week) with a jogging stroller. It takes time to get your body used to running with a stroller, and then more time to get used to running with a double jogger.

My advice, do a run/walk program like C25K to get your whole body used to running with a jogger. It took me about a month to get use to the stroller, especially up and down hills. Make sure the tires are properly inflated, and the handlebar at the right height for you, if the bar is adjustable.

I don't know what type of a stroller you have, but if it's one with a swivel wheel, please make sure it is locked in front. I know it is a pain to turn and steer, but I have seen a loose wheel roll sideways and flip a stroller.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options

I am hoping that even if it's hard I can adjust, just until my son enters Kindergarten.
    Oh you will be fine after doing it a bit--it won't take that long. Just keep with it!