ITBS surgery?

Options
I have been struggling with ITBS for 4 months now. It started in Sept, got worse after a marathon in October. Took a few weeks off, did a 10k, was fine. Then in December I did a half-that was stupid. Since September I have been going to PT, doing stretches 2x per day, strength training for gluts, hips,etc, foam rolling 2x a day (and with tennis ball for isolation), I took time off, I have decreased my milage, have gotten 2 cortisone injections, got the band to wear, have tried KT tape, ice after every run, anti-inflammatories, tried vibrams, adjusted running form to not heal strike.. I stop running if I feel pain, but I feel it around mile 1. I can't run two days in a row, and can tolerate only 5-8 miles a week (was doing 40 pre-injury). My question is- has anyone had ITB surgery? I have read other discussion boards, and the results seem to be mixed. Did it help? How long until you could run again? I had an MRI and it showed decreased cartilage under the patella and it was tracking further to the outside of knee. Can the surgery cause a mask in pain and further cartilage damage. I am fairly young, and don't want to have debilitating arthritis by the time I'm 30! However, running is a huge part of my life and I feel like I am going to go insane if I can't increase my mileage soon! Swimming, biking, not the same. Advice is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• BattyMac87
    BattyMac87 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I also have suffered with this for the last 2 years on and off - I love getting out for a run so it's been really frustrating. Have you considered trying barefoot or minimal running? I am thinking about it because like you, I have tried everything and it just keeps coming back. I think it might by my gait when I run that's causing the problem.
  • jballantine0826
    Options
    I have started to consider barefoot running. I have a couple pairs of vibrams and been using them more frequently. It takes time to get used to, but it is worth a try. I was thinking about using them on my short run days and speed days. I would wear regular running shoes for long runs. Have you had your gait analyzed?
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My ITB flared up when I increased my long runs beyond 12 miles. I've been doing all the remedies you mentioned but it hasn't fully gone away. I just now (5 days away from my first marathon) realized that I had changed shoes right at that time. Had my gait analyzed and they put me in a support vs. neutral shoe. Today I ran with my old neutral lightweight Asics and I felt pretty good for 4 miles. I'm considering the "old" shoes for the marathon this weekend in case the support shoes are what actually screwed me up.