Substitute for chips and dip

Options
I only have an occasional sweet tooth, but my downfall is salt. Chips and dip. What are your favorite substitutes? Any somewhat healthly cheese dip options?

Replies

• fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    You could do pita chips and hummus. Or if you can skip the dip, Special K chips are really good, and only 110 cals for about 28 chips. Kale chips are also delicious. If you've never made them, give it a shot.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I have become fond of kale chips, which I make myself. Crunchy and salty. And full of nutrients.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You could do pita chips and hummus. Or if you can skip the dip, Special K chips are really good, and only 110 cals for about 28 chips. Kale chips are also delicious. If you've never made them, give it a shot.

^ This...and/or baby carrots and hummus...or I liek to mix horseradish with musturd and use that as a dip...delicious.
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I buy Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Wrap (or any wrap you like) and cut it in up and bake it at 350 for 5-6 min till they get crispy. Then I make a homemade hummus dip.
  • simplyshrinking
    simplyshrinking Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Every weekend, I enjoy myself some Baked Tostitos with some Pico de Gallo... Yummy! :-)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

^ This...and/or baby carrots and hummus...or I liek to mix horseradish with musturd and use that as a dip...delicious.

This^^^...and I'm going to have to try the horseradish and mustard. I love both of those things and can't believe I haven't tried that yet.

I also like to do whole grain "tortilla" chips and good salsa, but that's always kind of a splurge because it's pretty salty and I'm trying to watch my sodium intake.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Just make the dip at home so you can have better control of the ingredients and switch out the chips for fresh vegetables. My favorite is sour cream & onion dip with a green pepper cut into strips. It's delicious, satisfying and a large, 4oz serving of dip and a whole green pepper is well under 300 calories. Cucumbers are good too.
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Get some pitas, you can compare brands and find the lowest calorie/etc, quarter them and toast in the oven until crispy there's some chips without all that salt.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    veggie sticks, ....carrots, peppers, celery ...and guacamole or hummus
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Fat Free Pringles (not the healthiest things, but tasty), salsa, hummus, greek yogurt dips...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I only have an occasional sweet tooth, but my downfall is salt. Chips and dip. What are your favorite substitutes? Any somewhat healthly cheese dip options?

I don't know about cheese dip, but my onion dip is very low cal and yummy:

doq8i9.jpg
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Air popped popcorn with butter and salt (or any seasoning you want to try)
  • nicolelynn1227
    nicolelynn1227 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've never had Kale Chips.. I'll have to look that up. I've had the Special K chips, those are pretty good. I've tried Hummus once, and didn't care for it, but I may buy a different brand and give it another shot. I always forget about pita chips. You just get pita bread and bake it?
  • nicolelynn1227
    Options
    I can put down a bag of baby carrots when I'm having a serious chip craving. lol I might have to try the horseradish and mustard, never heard of it.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    WHole grain tortillas, or blue corn chips and salsa.

Replacing your dip ingredieants with greek yogurt is also a start.

The smart food chip line is pretty solid tasting as well.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    ok veggie sticks are just not the same!

roasted chickpeas, are so amazing (almost used the f word!), you must try them. if you need the creaminess of dip eat it with some laughing cow cheese
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I've never had Kale Chips.. I'll have to look that up. I've had the Special K chips, those are pretty good. I've tried Hummus once, and didn't care for it, but I may buy a different brand and give it another shot. I always forget about pita chips. You just get pita bread and bake it?

Pita can be warm or room temp. If you buy it premade, just eat it. I like my microwaved a bit. And my hummus a little warm.

If it's plain hummus, add a little paprika and some olive oil to it before heating it up. Adds a nice spark.
    There is also a sabara brand that has red peppers in it (not to hot, just more flavorful really). Also very nice.
    There are garlic and herb varities as well. Over all, plain hummus is boring to somone not famuilar with it.

I love it on sandwhiches, replacing mayo for it basicly.
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options

Pita can be warm or room temp. If you buy it premade, just eat it. I like my microwaved a bit. And my hummus a little warm.

If it's plain hummus, add a little paprika and some olive oil to it before heating it up. Adds a nice spark.
    There is also a sabara brand that has red peppers in it (not to hot, just more flavorful really). Also very nice.
    There are garlic and herb varities as well. Over all, plain hummus is boring to somone not famuilar with it.

I love it on sandwhiches, replacing mayo for it basicly.
    I agree with all the above about hummus, it's very versatile and many flavors available. Pita can be used soft, but to make pita into a crunchy chip, brush very lightly with olive oil or substitute and bake 5-7 minutes at 400 and you're good to go
  • nicolelynn1227
    Options
    ok veggie sticks are just not the same!

roasted chickpeas, are so amazing (almost used the f word!), you must try them. if you need the creaminess of dip eat it with some laughing cow cheese

You're so right, veggie sticks just don't do it when you're in the mood for chips. I'm going to look into the roasted chickpeas, too. Thanks!
  • anjsdav
    anjsdav Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Just tried the Great Value Corn and Bean Salsa and fell in love! I am sure you can eat it with multigrain tortilla chips, bagel chips, or pita chips. Nutrition summary:
    Calories 15
    Fat 0g
    Carbs 3g
    Protein 0.5g
    There are 15 calories in a 2 tbsp serving of Great Value White Corn & Black Bean Salsa.
    Calorie breakdown: 0% fat, 86% carbs, 14% protein.

I also love white cheddar popcorn. I like the corner pops I get at Racetrac or and Smartfood White Cheddar if I am at QT but Sam's actually has the 100 calorie packs of Smartfood Popcorn (if you are a member and have a warehouse club in your area). Nutrition summary:

Smartfood White Cheddar Cheese Popcorn 100 Calorie Pack

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 package (17.7g)

Amount Per Serving
    Calories from Fat 60Calories 100

% Daily Values*
    Total Fat 6g 9%
    Saturated Fat 1.5g 8%
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol -
    Sodium 180mg 8%
    Potassium 60mg
    Total Carbohydrate 9g 3%
    Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
    Sugars 1g
    Protein 2g

Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 2% Iron 0%
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
    Information for this food was submitted to the FatSecret food database by member rairai1220 on 21 Feb 11.