Bodyweight bootcamp for beginners

Options
2»

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the routine. I do have limited space and it gets frustrating doing workouts that want you to travel in a big area.

You could do this in a bathroom :laugh: :tongue:

I just may 000203FC.gif
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Too many pushups!! :tongue:

I think for a beginner it might be too much?? 6 months ago when I first started working out I could not have finished it. Now I can definitely sustain it but I think it might be too long and someone doing it on their own may give up after the first set...just my thought!

But it definitely gets your heart rate up and would be great to throw in for a change. Thanks for sharing :smile:

from a beginner I can say try 1..........or partials........until you can accomplish the 1. For me it was one of my biggest accomplishments: Going from 0 to 1 and DOING It.. Omg I screamed!!
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options

I think for a beginner it might be too much?? 6 months ago when I first started working out I could not have finished it. Now I can definitely sustain it but I think it might be too long and someone doing it on their own may give up after the first set...just my thought!

But it definitely gets your heart rate up and would be great to throw in for a change. Thanks for sharing :smile:

I don't agree with you, you'd be surprised what your body can do when it's given a little kick in the pants, you can modify every exercise, go on your knees to do the pushups, do them up against the wall....PUSH your body to it's limits, instead of saying "I don't know this may be too hard"...pushups are an amazing exercise, and yes this is definitely a beginner program, you should see my experienced class....I have a 63 yr old grandma who can do pushups on the incline bench and crank out a good 20..everything is possible with a positive attitude, you get out of your workout, exactly what you put in to it. If you ain't sweatin you ain't workin!!:laugh: and it IS only one set, three sets onthe last few ab exercises, I used poor wording there, my fault! I've already had a few people respond that were beginners who said they thought they couldn't do it, it took them almsot an hour, but the point is THEY DID IT and finished it, they committed! Proud of you guys!!
  • HappyCampers5
    HappyCampers5 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    :sick: :sick: :sick:
    Seriously? 3 sets of this routine?
    It took me 45 minutes (including the 5 minute warm up) to complete 1 set. I got distracted maybe 2 minutes because of my babies, but seriously...?
    For me: 1 set of all 4 routines = 45 minutes and 461 calories

:noway: V-sits, couldn't do them. I tried the modified v-sit and couldn't do them. replaced with bicycle
    :noway: plank 45 seconds
    :sick: all those push ups??? seriously, a minute of push ups? even modified? followed by a minute of sit ups (I assume the old fashioned interlaced fingers behind the head full motion sit up?)

HAHA! sorry!, you only do 3 sets of the last ab routine, not unil I read your post when I realized that it could be misunderstood as the whole entire workout! my bad! sorry! and yup, the hand behind the head crunches...I can send you some easier more modified bootcamp if you like, they really do work, i'm sorry you struggled a little with this one..I hope you at least got good sweat on!

How in the heck do you get through 3 sets of all those exercises in 45 minutes?

You quoted me, but didn't respond :ohwell:
    Yes I was looking for a pat on the back :embarassed:
    I know I will be dying tomorrow.
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    It took me 45 minutes (including the 5 minute warm up) to complete 1 set. I got distracted maybe 2 minutes because of my babies, but seriously...?

:noway: V-sits, couldn't do them. I tried the modified v-sit and couldn't do them. replaced with bicycle
    :sick: all those push ups??? seriously, a minute of push ups? even modified? followed by a minute of sit ups (I assume the old fashioned interlaced fingers behind the head full motion sit up?)

HAHA! sorry!, you only do 3 sets of the last ab routine, not unil I read your post when I realized that it could be misunderstood as the whole entire workout! my bad! sorry! and yup, the hand behind the head crunches...I can send you some easier more modified bootcamp if you like, they really do work, i'm sorry you struggled a little with this one..I hope you at least got good sweat on!

Never mind - I just saw it...
    Yeah, was it okay to replace the v-sit with the bicycle?
    Sweat - I always sweat and get my HR up in the 85-90% zone. I'll definitely add this to my current routine just to mix things up.

I have to agree - that the push ups do get easier, but the first routine is killer and you want to throw up midway through the third set of push ups...
  • imagymrat
    Options

Never mind - I just saw it...
    Yeah, was it okay to replace the v-sit with the bicycle?
    Sweat - I always sweat and get my HR up in the 85-90% zone. I'll definitely add this to my current routine just to mix things up.

I have to agree - that the push ups do get easier, but the first routine is killer and you want to throw up midway through the third set of push ups...

You can definitely modify this to what works for you, but I definitely encourage you to start with the V-ups even if you only do two, then if it's too much, switch to another ab workout. sorry about the reply last time, i dunno wth happened there! Pushups can be modified, easy to very hard, when you get to the point, and YOU WILL get there, where even those are to easy, do them on the incline, with your feet on a chair or a bench, adds intensity!
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    My trainer already makes me to incline pushups (on my stairs) - I can get through 8 of them.
    I think the problem with Vsits for me is that I have a hairline fracture in my tailbone, and a lot of scar tissue surrounding it - the action of sitting on my tailbone like that really aggravates it, then rolling down on the scar tissue hurts too.
  • imagymrat
    Options
    My trainer already makes me to incline pushups (on my stairs) - I can get through 8 of them.
    I think the problem with Vsits for me is that I have a hairline fracture in my tailbone, and a lot of scar tissue surrounding it - the action of sitting on my tailbone like that really aggravates it, then rolling down on the scar tissue hurts too.

Don't do them, pain is never good, you want to feel the burn but not pain. stick with bicycles or crunches then switch to reverse crunches, you'll get a similar effect. One up on the incline pushups, stay in the incline position and put your hands on the bosu ball, ball side down, if you get really cheeky, put one foot in the air, all of a sudden you've massively engaged your abs! I love this one!
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    tagging for later :smile:
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options

from a beginner I can say try 1..........or partials........until you can accomplish the 1. For me it was one of my biggest accomplishments: Going from 0 to 1 and DOING It.. Omg I screamed!!

I've been working out with a trainer (we're training for a 10k in May!) since September, and I hate, hate, hate doing pushups!! But my body has gotten a lot stronger and like I mentioned, I would not have been able to complete a first set but now, not a problem, although it's not easy either. :)
  • nikiswimr
    nikiswimr Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Saving for later!
  • arewethereyet
    Options

I don't agree with you, you'd be surprised what your body can do when it's given a little kick in the pants, you can modify every exercise, go on your knees to do the pushups, do them up against the wall....PUSH your body to it's limits, instead of saying "I don't know this may be too hard"...pushups are an amazing exercise, and yes this is definitely a beginner program, you should see my experienced class....I have a 63 yr old grandma who can do pushups on the incline bench and crank out a good 20..everything is possible with a positive attitude, you get out of your workout, exactly what you put in to it. If you ain't sweatin you ain't workin!!:laugh: and it IS only one set, three sets onthe last few ab exercises, I used poor wording there, my fault! I've already had a few people respond that were beginners who said they thought they couldn't do it, it took them almsot an hour, but the point is THEY DID IT and finished it, they committed! Proud of you guys!!

when I am with the trainer I say "MODIFY" instead of "I cant"
    she always seems to find a way to make me do it without changing it too much!
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    I did only the first routine two days ago, combined with 15 minutes on the elliptical and 10 x 1 minute sprints (1 minute rests between sprints) on the treadmill. It took me 1 hour and I burned in excess of 700 calories.

Going to repeat this one today! I have to say, the sit ups and push ups do get easier, but my poor arms still shake violently after 15 push ups! My trainer even said a minute of push ups is pretty intense!
  • imagymrat
    Options
    lol...a minute of any exercise that requires bodyweight resistance is hard! :laugh: Modify to suit your fitness level, even if it means doing 20 seconds, taking a breather, then keep on trucking! Your body can do what your mind thinks it cannot.
  • Jl1188
    Jl1188 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to give you some feed back on this workout...

It definitely kicked my butt. I could not do even half of the push-ups, even with modification but I just started working out 3 weeks ago so I am sure it will get easier. I am not able to do the Bodyweight V-ups yet either, I replaced them with crunches. Other than that, the moves were nice and simple and I worked up a good sweat. This will definitely be worked into my routine a few times a week. Thank you for posting it!
  • imagymrat
    Options
    I'm bumping this one, cause I did it again today after a few months of not having done it, and it kicked my a** all over again!
  • ambitiousak
    Options
    This looks great - I will try it tomorrow - I am going on a motorcycle vacation in the beginning of August and will take this with me as I will not have access to a gym.

Thank you so much for this post!!!!