9 minutes?!!?

Options
that was all I could manage of 30 day shred. This is day one and I haven't exercised in YEARS but still. I couldn't even get down onto my mat to do girly push ups because it hurt my knees so much I nearly cried. I got a cushion and bit through it but after 9 minutes I thought I was going to throw up

when did jumping jacks/star jumps get so hard?!!?!?!

Replies

• auntiejack
    auntiejack Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Know where you're coming from. Hang on in there it does get a little easier
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    When I first started to get back into working out I could hardly walk the day after, but it DOES get easier. Keep pushing, do what you can do and it will get better.
  • samanthasimps0n
    samanthasimps0n Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up over it. I work out quite a bit and the first time I did something like 30 Day Shred I only did about 15 minutes before quitting! Hang in there, it will get easier - especially once you start seeing results ;) Good luck!
  • steph124ny
    steph124ny Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    OK, you know what?? Try again tomorrow and go for 10 minutes. Or 11 or 12. Just don't give up. You said it has been years since you've worked out, so it is going to take time. I started 30 Day Shred 2 days ago, and I'm so sore that getting out of the chair hurts. I have done the whole program before last summer and I really liked it. I remember that first day and thought I might die. But it gets better...and if it takes you 75 days...oh well. Just don't give up.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    That's not so bad, I mean you just got back into it so you can expect it to be hard on you :)

But with time and a lot of burning/after work out hurting you will be able to do more and more and start to enjoy when you feel the burn and feel happy when you feel like you can't move. I honestly feel like I have done my best when I feel that.
  • Farmerj2000
    Farmerj2000 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    as others have said, it will get easier! Push yourself, try for 9 min & 30 sec next time. Just keep going.
  • Cocacoladdict
    Cocacoladdict Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    thanks guys x I am just so disappointed with myself that I really am this unfit!! Instead of doing the full 25 mins or whatever in one go I am going to do the first 9 minutes again tonight and then try again tomorrow. I won't give up
  • DMUND
    DMUND Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    9 minutes is better than no minutes!!! Good job! Be proud of what you did accomplish. You are right to listen to your body, but DONT GIVE UP!!! Next time, shoot for 10 minutes!! In time it will get easier, you just have to give your body time to adjust. It won't be easy, but nothing easy is worth going after. Your body will be sore, expect that....but do a little each day. Don't wait for the sore muscles to feel better, cuz they will just get sore then next time. Work through the soreness, it's your muscles waking up. I'm sending you good vibes!! Keep going, you will be so happy you did!
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    9 minutes is better than 0 minutes, at least you gave it a go! And it will get easier with time, keep at it!
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    30ds seriously kicked my booty the first time I tried it, and I think I just blindly stared at the floor desperately trying to catch my breath for about a third of it. You should be proud of yourself for diving headlong into it; you made it through 9 minutes!! Good job and keep it up, you're going to get better each and every day. :flowerforyou:
  • luvinna
    luvinna Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've set a goal for myself this year that I want to be able to do 25 push-ups by my birthday in April. Tuesday, I could do 1. Yesterday, I managed 5 spread out into 5 sets a minute apart (1 each set). It's a little discouraging, but I just keep reminding myself that I will get better if I keep working at it. I'll keep repeating the first day of the program I'm using until I can do the 12 they require before the moving onto the second day. And if I have to repeat the second day a few times before I can do that, so be it.

I agree with others... Do it again tomorrow (or maybe give yourself a day to rest and recuperate) and see if you can push yourself for another minute. Then the next time, go for another minute. Baby steps. :smile:
  • BSBgirl337
    BSBgirl337 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I used Yoga Booty Ballet to lose weight a few years ago. The first time I did the basic workout, I was tired after the warm up, and I had danced for years! Now, I have all those dvd's memorized, and I hardly feel like I'm doing anything. It will get easier!!! Hang in there!!! :)
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    You will get better, as others have said, Try to beat your 9 minutes tomorrow, and then a little longer the next day.
  • ThinVee
    ThinVee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've just started it recently too, during my first session I swore that I would either pass out or hyperventilate!

As others have said though, it does get better. I'm definitely taking longer than 30 days with it, but that's OK, we're all on our own journeys and our progress will be different. After the first 3-4 sessions I really saw improvement and every day since I've continued to see improvement which is motivating.

Lastly, don't tell yourself anything you wouldn't let another person tell you!
    If someone put me down for starting to exercise and not being a pro at it from day 1 then I probably wouldn't be friends with them. Yesterday you did nothing, today you did something - celebrate your small successes and be kind to yourself - you deserve it! :flowerforyou:
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    If it's been years then 9 minutes is pretty freakin good. I stopped exercising for a couple months and I'm winded walking to my car.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Dont sweat it! pause it, shake it out, get some water, hit play again! it may take a while, but youll get it! we all started somewhere!
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    9 minutes is better than 0 minutes, at least you gave it a go! And it will get easier with time, keep at it!

I agree 100%!!!!!
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    9 minutes!?!

AWESOME!

My first day I did 4. Swore at Jillian and didn't try again for three months.

When i first started walking, it took me 25 minutes to walk 1.1 miles around the block in front of my house and I thought I was gonna die afterwards... a year later I do 4 miles in 60 minutes. And I can go more. I should have learned from that!!

You just inspired me to go try for 9 minutes! :)
  • Maridar
    Maridar Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    it was really hard when I started, was out of breath, etc. but by the end of week two things got so much easier.Keep going!!! You'll be amazed at how quickly your body adjusts and becomes stronger.
  • stacylmorris
    stacylmorris Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree! 9 minutes is better than nothing. Stay focused and don't think about how hard it is, think about how great you will feel. Stay strong!