For those of you who have kids...

Options
jw17695
jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
...where can I buy a sand box at? And where do I get sand at? I want a pretty large sandbox for the backyard. I remember having a green plastic one in the shape of a turtle but I know it was way too small for us. And sometimes when I babysit, I see sand tables. But I really want a large box to dig in (for my dogs, not me). Our dog trainer said it might help to give them a designated spot to dig instead of all over the back yard. We will see!

Replies

• mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I believe home depot has sand, so menards probably does too. If you have a fleet farm, probably them as well. Not sure about the sandbox, but you could always just make one! If you want a larger one it'll probably cost less to make it! Good luck, enjoy the sandbox! Just be careful if you have any outdoor neighborhood cats! :tongue:
  • confuseacat
    confuseacat Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My mom built a sandbox for the grandkids out of some plank lumber. You can buy play sand at WalMart , Home Depot or Lowes in the gardening center.
  • LadyLawJHF
    Options
    I would probably suggest to build your own. With this method, you can choose the size that you want and the depth that you want. I am sure that the hardware store should have at least one good handyman that can help you design it.
  • elysant
    elysant Posts: 139
    Options
    While it would take more work... you might want to dig the size of box that you want somewhere in the yard. You could also buy a sheet or two of plywood and some 2x4's to use as sides. You could attach the 2x4's with liquid nails to make the size of box that you want. :o)

As for buying the sand, I think my husband got our sand at Home Depot. :o) Lowes would probably carry it as well :o)
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I agree that building a large box will be cheaper than buying one. Get some 2 by 8 (inch) boards. Decide how big you want the box to be, and at most places they will cut the boards down to size for you. (You have to purchase the excess also, but worth it!) You'll want some corner braces so that the weight of the sand doesn't bust the corners. You can buy the sand at most stores that sell sand boxes (walmart, home depot, lowes, ace, etc.).

Good luck! And seriously do watch out for thos cats! They LOVE to use sandboxes as their personal litterboxes!
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I am laughing so hard about all the cat comments. I have a dog that tries to eat cats. I can't imagine anyone coming to use that box! Or if they do, they certainly won't more than once.:laugh:
  • PoisonSugar
    Options
    I would suggest building one. It's much cheaper, better quality and you can have it any size your heart desires. As for sand, that depends on where you live. Most landscaping places sell it. Or you could buy bags from Lowes, Menards.... If you live close to any lakes, most people give it away, if you'll haul it... I guess I took that for granted living so close to Lake Michigan!
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    We built one last summer. Bought the wood from home depot and such. 6' X 6'. We didn't fill a 1/4 of the thing and the sand was $100. Look at a rock/gravel place and get a truck load. Our sand was probably a little more expensive since we wanted something we thought would be safe for our daughter.
    I've heard hiding treats, kongs, or toys in a sand box is great to exhaust dogs.
  • bethinagain
    bethinagain Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Well, with having 5 kids.....i can never find a sand box big enough. So my husband and I went to Toys R us and bought a hard plastic pool, these are the kind that you don't have to blow up and you can't fold it or roll it up. About 6 ft. in diameter. It's about 10 " deep. We filled that sucker up with sand. But let me tell you.......the sand is what costs alot of money. The hard plastic pool was under $15.00. They do have a pool one size bigger than the one I bought (maybe 8 ft. round). That might work for you, especially with dogs nails, it won't puncture through the hard plastic. Good Luck!:flowerforyou: