Help with Oatmeal

Options
lmkaks
lmkaks Posts: 119 Member
I REALLY want to like oatmeal, but for some reason I can't get into it (maybe the texture???) Same goes with cottage cheese.

Any suggestions on what could be added or how it could be prepared so that I could enjoy oatmeal?

(Same goes for cottage cheese :happy: )

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Don't force yourself to eat foods you don't like. Life is too short
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    dont like it?

dont eat it

there is nothing magical about oatmeal

but if you believe that you must have it, add fresh fruit or vanilla protein powder

or grind it up in your coffee grinder and add it to a protein shake
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I just throw the oats into a blender with some fruit.

Makes a lovely smoothie and you barely even taste the oats. It just makes the smoothie a bit creamier.

If you don't like the texture of the oatmeal, you can try grinding the oats (in a coffee grinder, pestle and mortar, food processor, anything) and then cook your oatmeal. Makes a nice smooth porridge.

Oatmeal is really nice with cinnamon and a bit of sugar.
  • mlclarke22
    mlclarke22 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    adding it to protein shakes is awesome.

I love to have my oatmeal with a half of a scoop of choc protein powder/1 tablespoon of powdered pb and a cut up banana.

But in all honesty if you dont like it dont bother!
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    There are different kinds of oatmeal and they all have different textures (thick cut rolled or steel cut are my favorites). I stay away from quick oats because they aren't as good for ya and have lots of junk added and I find it mushy. Try adding nuts, fruit or raisins.I Consider making your own granola or protein bars. Grind them down and make oat flour and replace your regular flour.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    It may be something you just don't like. I know that my wife and I like our oatmeal different textures, she like's it as thick as she can possibly get it while I like mine a little runny/watery. Try different ways if you want to incorprate it. If not, there are other healthy alternatives to oatmeal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    1.) don't try to force it...if you don't like it, you don't like it. I assume you're trying to get your fiber...there are other ways.
    2.) If texture is primarily the issue, try steel cut oats; they're much hardier and don't get so mushy. They take a bit longer to cook and you can't do them in the microwave, but that's how I got into oatmeal. If you need it quicker with a similar texture to steel cut, try Coach's Oats.
    3.) Add stuff...I like to add a dash of cinnamon and a banana to mine...when I'm feeling adventurous I add a bit of brown sugar.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Texture ..........

Instant oats .... like baby food (blech)

Rolled - Old Fashioned .... are still instant, but have some texture left

Steel Cut .... these are kind of chewy (and less gluey).... my fave!

Lots of textures available.

Because instant and rolled are both cooked already, no further cooking is required. Some people toast it and add to cold things (like yogurt) or blend it into smoothies.
  • roxyblack
    roxyblack Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I had to try several different ones. My favorite is from Jamba Juice -Steel cut oatmeal. It isn't watered down and I usually add in my own chopped up fruit!
  • Rehobobound
    Rehobobound Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I prefer steel cut oatmeal as well. I don't cook it all the way so it is chewy then add blueberries, cinnamon, ground flax seeds and a splash of low fat milk or almond milk. This recipe for me, is sort of like a blueberry crumble. Yum!

Although, I'm with the others, don't eat what you don't like.

Best of Luck!
  • road2goal
    road2goal Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats are my fave also. I find they have a bit of a nutty texture. As for cottage cheese, try adding some flavoured yogurt to it. My stepson has thanked me over and over for that tip. He couldn't stand cottage cheese but loved the high protein factor of it. Since adding yogurt, it's his favourite snack. But like many others have said, at the end of the day, don't force yourself to eat something you can't stand. Life is too short and you want to change your lifestyle for good. Forcing yourself to eat stuff you can't stand won't accomplish that. Good luck.
  • _rosegray
    _rosegray Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i hate it plain, but i add some cinnamon and stevia and then i can't get enough of it :) and try a few different toppings - honey, peanut butter, maple syrup etc.
  • RabidCarrot
    RabidCarrot Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If you don't like Oats you can try 5 grain cereals and/or brown rice for a hearty texture or couscous and/or quinoa for a lighter fluffier texture. They taste great with some fruit and milk mixed in.
    Or you could try pancakes made with oat flour topped with a little bit of syrup, fruit or nut butter.
  • docfancy
    docfancy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used to not be a big oatmeal person, but here's our recipe and I like it a lot now.

I start with oatmeal and either almond milk or vanilla flavored soy.

One version has diced granny-smith apples, cinnamon and craisins.

Another favorite is to add fresh bananas and strawberries.

Hope this helps!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Once you try the different texture types as mentioned, and find one you like, you could also try savor flavors.
    You could also make oat muffins or granola. both with flax seed :) make sure it's ground flax seed.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Oat Bran as cereal...it's got a less slimy texture than rolled oats or steel cut, and it only takes two minutes to cook stovetop. Oat cereal is such a satisfying and healthy food. Keep trying. I don't like rolled oats either....and steel cut is tricky to get the right texture - plus steel cut is a 30 minute process.

I add a little salt, milk and butter. It's good with peanut butter melted in, too.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't force myself to eat something if I didn't like it. However, if you are wanting to try it, here's a nice twist on a steel cut oats recipe.
    pumpkin spice oatmeal, yum!
    http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-baked-pu-159872
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'll chime in with the choir suggesting steel cut oats I cook mine in just water until the water is completely absorbed but they're still a little chewy. Then I add some craisins or sliced up banana. Yum! Some people toast them before boiling or add fruit and nuts while cooking or boil them in a mixture of milk and water for a creamier texture.

Have you ever tried quinoa? It's another very healthy grain and has a completely different texture.