Percentage of Protein, Fat and Carbs

Options
Okay, so I am confused and really not the greatest at math. hehe What percentage of protein, fat and carbs should someone be getting and how does one figure what their intake should be? I have seen posts where people say 40% protien but 40% of what? Sorry have to ask this. :smile:

Thanks everyone!

Feel free to add me.

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
  • squishy2981
    Options
    It all depends on what you are hoping to do. If you were heavy weightlifting, you'd want to consume a lot of protein. If you are just wanting to lose weight with normal exercises, cardio, etc. then MFP gives you a number to shoot for. On the My Home page, there is a tab at the top called Goals. If you click on this you can change your goals to suit your exercise needs and all that good jazz. Out of your caloric intake for the day, it's telling you that 40% of all the calories you put in your body for the day needs to come from protein. So, if your caloric intake goal was 1600 calories, 640 of those should be alotted to foods with protein in them. So, when you log food, you can choose what you want to have tracked. Carbs, fat grams, and protein. All three of those you can adjust on the goals page for your personal needs, and obviously it adds up to 100%. For myself, I am weightlifting and want more protein in my diet to build more muscle. So, I want 45% of my diet to go towards protein, I selected 35% for carbs, and 20% for fat.
  • BethW01
    BethW01 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am doing this to lose weight. I went to my goals and saw what I need. I gotta be honest very surprised that I am to get 180 carbs. Seems a bit high to me. I guess we shall see what happens.

I am printing up that link that you sent to me so I can read it at home. I am pretty excited to see what it says.

Thank you both so much for your help. I just want to ensure that I am going to attach this accurately. :smile:
  • road2goal
    road2goal Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I use 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat. And no sugar (other than naturally occuring). This was very successful for me in the past along with regular exercise ( cardio & strength). I dropped 45lbs and felt fantastic, lots of energy.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Everyone's percentages are going to be different.

I have myself set at 1700 calories per day and then have the macros set to 60% fat, 25% protein and 15% carbs.

I never meet any of these numbers..........not the calories, fat, protein or carbs. I have very little appetite and I am not eating nearly enough.
  • relledge
    Options
    Remember that Carbohydrates are not always the enemy. They do provide energy as long as they are good carbohydrates. It can take a few weeks to adjust the way you eat to fit the goals that are set for you on MFP. You may find that your body responds better to lower carbs and more protein or your body may respond better to a more balanced amounts of carbs and protein. Everyone is different. Cutting out bad carbs and refined sugars will benefit any diet!
  • BethW01
    BethW01 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    So that is my next challenge finding out what are good carbs. Also, sugar is a problem for me. I have an awful sweet tooth in the afternoon.

Road2goal-Congrats to you!!!
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Carbs are my biggest enemy - processed carbs anyway. I set my low - just so that I could really work on getting myself used not eating them again. Basically anything that is packaged or frozen (like dinners) or man made are processed carbs. Potatoes, brown rice, fruits and veggies all have carbs - but they are better carbs to eat versus breads, chips, pre-packaged meals, etc.