43 yo single mom in need of support

Options
Due to health issues starting in the summer of 2012, I have reached a weight that I never, ever dreamed I would be!!! Thanks to several trips to hospitals and emergency rooms with diverticulits, IBS and menopuase - I am 43 and in the worst shape of my life. In order to reach a healty BMI I need to lose 70+ pounds! I am a single mom with a teenage daughter and don't really have much support at all. If there is any one out there around my age and dealing with any of the same health issues, I would greatly appreciate some advice!

Good luck to all in 2013

Replies

• WendyWilliams10
    Options
    Hi Valerie,

While i don't have diverticulits, I do suffer from IBS, gluten sensitivity, Fibro and inapporpriate sinse tachycarida (my heart doesn't understand that it doesn't need to beat 140+ beats at all times). I'm 44 and a half and like you i'm in need of losing a lot of weight (60-65 lbs) and looking for support. I've got some support here at home, but at the sametime, i'm frustrated and feel my daughter (who is almost 20, very athletic and never gains weight just more muscle) and my husband of 5 years (who says he wants to lose weight and seems to have less trouble doing so when he does try) just don't understand the struggle I'm going through. The best advice I can give you at the moment (and I'm trying to follow) is to make small goals so you don't get discouraged. Right now i'm goal is to lose 5 pounds by the end of January. A longer term goal is to lose 30-35 pounds by June. The end goal is to lose 60-65 pounds by the end of 2013 and keep it off. To try and reach the small first goal, I've switched from drinking sweet tea,sweetened with sugar, to drinking unsweetened tea, sweetened with sweet'n low. It may only cut a few calories, but it's an easy way to start. Hope this helps and i'll provide support if you'd like. Wendy
  • ladybowe
    Options
    Hi...My name is Deb. I'm 48 and need to lose 55 lbs. I have three teen boys and a 25 year old daughter. I'm also suffering from weight related illness. I have RA, high blood pressure and was recently diagnosed with Lupus. Losing the weight for me would mean less hip pain from the RA and hopefully I will be able to go off some of this blood pressure medication. I can offer encouragement... :-)
  • tfitz12
    tfitz12 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi....I don't have the health issues that you do but I will say that I used to have back problems along with high blood pressure and with losing almost 60lbs I now no longer have the back problems and could give up my high blood pressure medication. I can offer you encouragment and motivation along the way. I have been at a standstill with my weight loss for a few months now and have set new goals for myself and would like to lose 30 more lbs. Feel free to add me....
  • Stogie40
    Stogie40 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I don’t have diverticulits now, but I have had it. As for health issues, I have high blood sugar, it’s under control with proper diet and a couple pills a day, which I should hopefully be off soon. I also have a huge gallstone. I need to loose more before I have the surgery to remove my gallbladder. I’ve been eating healthy for about a year and a half. I’ve only been on MFP for just over 40 days. It’s great and helps out so much. I use to be a caterer and now I’m learning how to cook a new way, healthy. If you want you can add me. I’m on here every day. Good luck to you. Don’t give up, there is no quick fix, it’s a lifestyle change, but so worth it. It can really suck, but after awhile it sucks less.