fasting

Options
Hi My name is Roger
I live in the UK and I am almost 70 and retired. Several months ago I saw the BBC program with Dr Mike Mosley, extolling the benefits of intermittent fasting and have been following his regime ever since. I have found the results truly amazing and would like to receive messages from others and learn of their experiences. I especially would like to hear from people of my own generation.
The first improvement, in the first week, was increased joint flexibility followed by greater energy and heightened optimism which translated into more activity such as getting long delayed jobs finished and resuming cycling etc.
Has anybody else been similarly effected?

Replies

• SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Hi Roger,

I am too from the UK but I live in Taiwan at the moment and I'm 31. I saw the documentary on youtube and it interested me. My fiance and I did it for 2 weeks, I didn't lose any weight but I did feel better and I seemed to have more energy. I think I might start it up again, are you doing the 5:2 or one day on-one day off?

Take care

Alexis
  • rogerx
    rogerx Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Alex
    I'm doing 2 5 as I like to get it over with and I think it probably gives the body longer to recover. You probably won't notice the change in flexibility at your age but I think that it is worth a try for the long term benefits. I also found that my appetite seemed to shrink for the whole week and I got used to the fasting and didn't find it a particular hardship but it can make you tired at the time and sometimes I get a bit confused but I discovered that is due to a lack of glucose to the brain and I have something very sweet and it seems to fix it.
    All the best Roger
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I'm not a medical professional, so I'll withhold my personal opinion.

But I will say that anyone considering fasting, or any other form of dieting for that matter, should consult their doctor. Especially if they have any sort of health issue.
  • osurocks32
    osurocks32 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just watched the documentery on this and I am very intrigued, will be doing reseach on this for sure.