Cheese!

Hey guys, I have been reading up on healthy foods both for maintaining Nd loosing weight but I can never find much about cheese.
Is it good for weight loss ? Also my next door neighbour has completely stopped eati g cheese including her 14 year old daughter and 20 year old son, is this healthy for children to not eat cheese? It isn't vital for their health or anything is it?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    It's not unhealthy for you. But it won't promote weight loss or maintenance of weight. That will be determined by calories in vs out. I will say, it does add calories which not much satiety, so not adding cheese will help minimize calorie intake.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    If it fits in your calorie goal there's no reason not to have it. As for your neighbor, you can have a balanced and healthy diet without cheese. Not sure why you'd want to, but you can.
  • Loula124
    Loula124 Posts: 35 Member
    It's great in terms of calcium for your bones, so good for small growing children. It's not essential for a twenty year old to eat loads of it (sadly). Cheddar and similar hard cheeses are delicious but full of calories. So try and stick to a small amount. Cottage cheese is a traditional 'dieters food' but pretty watery and tasteless in my opinion!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    I needed 100 calories to hit my target today, so I have grated 25g of strong cheddar over my dinner.

if it fits in with your targets, eat it.

Cheese won't make you fat - eating an excess of calories makes you fat.