( ladies only)during u burn more calories during this?......

Options
when you have your monthly friend ladies is it true you burn calories just for having ur period? anyone know the truth to this? or whats ur experience with weight gain/loss during this time?

Replies

• kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what people have to say about this. I could see how this is possible, although the water retention and all those other things may counter that out.
  • bacallmarie
    Options
    I've always felt like I gain water weight when on my period but I do seem to weigh less when its over... Idk if that's because I have cramps and don't eat as much or if I'm burning more calories. No science in this answer just my experience
  • nodramamama08
    Options
    well i weigh in tommorow.. mine just started yesterday and ive been eating and workin out like i do off my period.. so ill let ya know tomorrow lol
  • emay45
    emay45 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this before. But I always put on water weight during mine.
  • karen8769
    Options
    I seem to have water weight during that time but then lose more after its over. But I feel real hungry I've noticed during that time of the month.
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I lose weight when I have mine. strange I know, But in the 5 days that I have it, I lose about 2 pounds. then nothing for a week or two. I dont get it, and I dont like it.....
  • melgibson
    melgibson Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I gain a lot of water weight days before and for early part of TOM but then always loose it again. :huh:

My old gym teacher told us if we had cramps and pains during then the best thing for it was exercise and this has stuck with me, I will do sit ups when I have stomach aches and it does help - even if I don't feel like doing exercise at first I'm always glad I did some as I feel so much better after. I don't know if you burn more or not, I think I only gain and loose the same weight. :grumble:

I think a lot of the time I try to relax and take it easy during my TOM but it might be worth testing this out!!

Maybe I'll do some big sessions on my stepper next time round and see if I loose a few lbs!! :wink:

508926.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I seem to have water weight during that time but then lose more after its over. But I feel real hungry I've noticed during that time of the month.

Me too
  • katgrif
    katgrif Posts: 4
    Options
    this actually happened to me 2 weeks ago. i burned 300 calories more than i usually do in a 75 minute gym session (i had on a HRM). I couldnt work it out until i realised it was my period a few days later. I'd definately agree with you but the day after and the day before i was back to my normal calory burn so if you do burn more its just for a short amount of time.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    According to an article I read in Prevention magazine (sorry, can't find the link)

In the luteal phase (from ovulation to the first day of your period) you burn about 300 calories more a day...this is why PMS cravings hit so hard.

but, the calorie burn actually stops the day you start your actual period.