Need some SERIOUS HELP and MOTIVATION

Options
My name is John and I am 33 Years old and in the Air Force. I have struggled with my weight since I was a teenager, bouncing back and forth from 230 to 180 again and again. I am now the heaviest I have ever been and am so discouraged I don't know where to start. I have to lose weight to feel healthy and to save my career but my mind shuts down at putting my body thru that again, I don't think I can mentally handle another weight loss to be followed by binge eating and destryoing all my hard work, I need to make it stick for good. I am open to any advice and encouragement you have. Thanks so much to take the time to read my story.

John Thomas

Replies

• jwhitch
    jwhitch Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hey John, welcome to MFP. I know exactly what you mean by making the weight loss stick for good. I have lost the same 30-40 lbs more times than I can count. By joining MFP you have made a really positive step, and there are a lot of good people here to encourage & support you, but the most important thing (in my humble opinion) is that you have to want this for yourself, to feel better, to be healthier and happier. Losing weight is hard work, and (again, in my opinion) keeping it off is even harder. Try not to think of it as a diet but a lifestyle change. It's amazing how well & much you can eat if you put some thought & effort into it. For me, logging my food has been the biggest help, because I can't fool myself about what & how much I've eaten. You have to be honest because the only person you are cheating & hurting is yourself. Don't get overwhelmed, try to make small positive changes that you can live with and give yourself time. You can do this.
  • elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Well this is the place to help you... I am pretty much here for life as I cannot be trusted on my own! I go up and down... But mainly down so... Jump aboard xxxx and add me for support x
  • juliesjuke
    juliesjuke Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Welcome John. I agree 100% with jwitch.You will get out of this whatever you put into it.Log your food and water and be honest about it.You will get all of the encouragement and support that you want.
    Good luck.:wink:
  • Ajmead
    Ajmead Posts: 56
    Options
    Feel free to add me for help and support x
  • NoExcusesJenn
    NoExcusesJenn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    dido here add me if you like and we can do this together
  • OliveDouglas
    Options
    Hi John - Welcome to MFP! I know what it's like to struggle with weight all the time. I've struggled my whole life, up and down. Doctors telling me I need to lose weight all the time! It's annoying, but I know I need to. Last year, I set a new years resolution to work out and lose the weight. No matter how hard I was going, I couldn't lose the weight. I was depressed and wanted to give up. But I kept going and then I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. That was hell, literally, but I beat it and I'm 100% cancer free and started back to working out this year and made it my new years resolution to lose 100 pounds! I'm already down 12 :-)

My motto is, put your mind to it and never give up...NOTHING comes easy!!

"I'm not losing weight. I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it."
  • japhilli3
    japhilli3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is a good place to start. I have found that if you log everything you eat EVERY DAY, it really helps you feel accountable to yourself. But you have to do it EVEYR DAY; otherwise you won't notice progress or patterns. Of course you will have "bad days", everyone does, but log what you eat anyway!

You may also want to write down how you felt that day. Maybe you will notice a pattern -- like maybe you eat "bad food" when you are stressed or sad or out to eat with friends. If you know what the triggers are, you can take steps to avoid it. For example,exercise when you are stressed (instead of eating) or call a friend when you are sad (instead of eating) or find lower calorie atlernatives when you go out to eat (most places post their menu with nutrition information online).

You CAN do this. And you WILL! Believe in yourself and make your "future self" proud of all the hard work you are about to put in. :) Happy New Year!
  • smardie
    smardie Posts: 27
    Options
    John,

I think everyone one of us who is on this board knows how you feel .

To hit your weight goal or come close and then to gain it all back , sucks.

Last year I really never lost weight and stayed over weight all year, because I told myself , I was not going to yo-yo again and would not follow a diet- that did not work .

If there was an easy answer to this , sure would make life easy .

This year, I am hoping to make some life style changes and really focus on what I am eating and over all try to eat less and set goals that are not impossible to reach.

I think we all know where are weaknesses are and in the end I think it comes down to how much you want it .

Add me as your friend if you want

Mark

p.s. you can do this
  • 214julie
    214julie Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, this is a really great place to start! I'm a dietitian who has struggled all of my life with weight issues and I use it to keep myself in check. Add me if you would like.
  • sannalong
    sannalong Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi John -- a New Year, a new you! My husband just retired from the AF after 26 yrs, so we're well familiar with the stress you're under. The other posts are right -- be BRUTALLY honest about logging what you eat. I lost 26 pounds a couple years ago using this tool & a Bodybugg. I didn't care for the Bodybugg website -- it's food database is similar to this but not as user friendly. So I'd take my calories burned from the Bodybugg site & plug them into the Exercise tab here. That way you have calories in & calories out in one place. Look at this as being a life style change -- make a small changes you can live with. We started eating vegetarian a few nights a week, & that really melts the pounds off. I'd say "Best of Luck," but it's not about luck. Be diligent & be strong. Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
  • osurocks32
    osurocks32 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone, I never realized what an emotional wreck your weight can make you. Thanks so much for the support, I will be adding all of you as friends, and you can rely on me for the same.