Is what I am working with enough?

Options
Ok, so my goal is to loose 50lbs. I have a total gym, the updated original (Chuck Norris one). I haven't started using it yet.
I have comcast on-demand, so I use the fitness channel to do 30 minuets 5 days a week of indoor walking, the 3 mile or the cardio with weights which is 30 mins long.

Is this enough to maximize my weight loss or do I need to invest in a treadmill or elliptical and skip the walking? Also, should I loose some belly fat before I bother to do crunches? Belly fat is my number one problem area, followed by thighs, and a little double chin, other than that I basically look like an pear with skinny twigs sticking out. haha!

Replies

• 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I would start using the first machine before investing in another
  • Jalyst79
    Jalyst79 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    A mix of cardio and strength training is going to be most beneficial. Walking is a good start, then you may want to think about running or doing some high interval training. Any activity is going to help you. Measure yourself before you start your workout plan and then measure yourself every few weeks or monthly. Strength training may not help the weight come off as fast, but you are going to see more definition and toning in your body. Muscle is going to help boost your metabolism. Also, make sure your diet is in check. Protein is going to help with toning and strength and make sure your carbs are healthy. Water!!
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I agree with using what you've got before getting anything else. I'd also invest in weights before a treadmill/elliptical because it's really easy to get cardio workouts with zero equipment.

If you want free workouts, check out youtube. A lot of Jillian Michaels' and Bob Harper's workouts are on there, among others.

As for crunches - I'd recommend various other ab exercises (just do a google search for best ab exercises) before straight up crunches. Make sure you do a decent amount of oblique work too. No reason to wait to do this. Even if you have a significant amount of weight to lose, building those core muscles will be a huge improvement in things like posture, ability to perform other exercises that use your core and can also change your shape even if you aren't smaller.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    A mix of cardio and strength training is going to be most beneficial. Walking is a good start, then you may want to think about running or doing some high interval training. Any activity is going to help you. Measure yourself before you start your workout plan and then measure yourself every few weeks or monthly. Strength training may not help the weight come off as fast, but you are going to see more definition and toning in your body. Muscle is going to help boost your metabolism. Also, make sure your diet is in check. Protein is going to help with toning and strength and make sure your carbs are healthy. Water!!
    Yep, Totally agree. As far as belly fat, diet is the key, but core training will help make you stronger which is always a good thing!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit, which doesn't REQUIRE any exercise.
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, you guys were all very helpful!
  • Dee_31
    Dee_31 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    How about pilates, what do you all think about that as a main exercise? Thanks!
  • anfernyy
    Options
    you should keep what your doing. keep track of your results. as soon as you plateau, you need to further challenge your body. progressively increasing the weight as needed. you may want to invest in a gym member ship when the time comes. but for now just keep doing what your doing! as for the abs that you want, yes you should continue doing those crunch exercises. as you lose more total body fat you will be able to see your abs visibly. i believe for women its 16-18% to be considered lean enough to see abs.. good luck friend