i just ruined everything.

Options
ive been on MFP since March 16th, and i have eaten 1200 calories or under every single day, and going to the gym 5 times a week. today, i dont know what got into me but i just started eating... then a little more... a little more... till i couldnt stop!! i ate 4,216 calories today and im in tears. how could i let myself fail?? any support would be greatly appreciated. I feel like this weight struggle is never-ending.

Replies

• pixietwilight
    pixietwilight Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You ruined nothing cause tomorrow is another day! Everyone has set backs and today was yours. If you fall and never get up you will never move on. Funny thing I went over my calories today to for the first time in 3.5 months. Tomorrow will be better for us both.
  • tig3rang3l
    tig3rang3l Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Heeeey that's so not ruining everything!!!!!!!!!!! You've lost 9 pounds so far, one day doesn't kill you. Put it in perspective... You've been doing great! You've seen the mistake, recognize why it happened (emotional triggers? Not eating enough?) and figure out a way to solve it! Tomorrow is a brand new day, and you'll get back onto your 1200 calorie diet.

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    ive been on MFP since March 16th, and i have eaten 1200 calories or under every single day, and going to the gym 5 times a week. today, i dont know what got into me but i just started eating... then a little more... a little more... till i couldnt stop!! i ate 4,216 calories today and im in tears. how could i let myself fail?? any support would be greatly appreciated. I feel like this weight struggle is never-ending.

Ok, I don't know what time it is there but it's almost the Monday a.m here. It doesn't actually sound like you ruined 'everything', sounds more like you feel your eating got out of control. YOU have the power to get back on track right now, drink some water, get ready for bed (depending on your time zone of course lol), brush your teeth but most of FORGIVE YOURSELF FOR BEING HUMAN and eating some unplanned food.

Oh heck Hon.. it could be a million reasons why you started unplanned eating today, PMS, boredom, being too controlling on your food menu's, not eating close enough to your 1200 cals (not over but not much under is the best way, preplanning meals can help on that ALOT) the point is it's almost a new day but even now you can grab back control and stop the eating NOW.

Is 1200 cals what MFP gave you to eat? Do you eat back any of your excercise cals at all? Were you hungry today or feeling deprived? Sometimes not eating back some excercise cals can make a person feel that way if they've been working out hard.

Ok, anything there help at all Hon? I do hope so...you haven't RUINED ANYTHING, you've had a bit of a setback. Probably not best to weight yourself tomorrow morning but just preplan your meals for tomorrow and the week if you can

Try not to deprive yourself, simply plan treats in if that's what started the ball rolling on the eating today. Some of us get soooo strict with ourselves at the begining and it's like we snap. Gosh who could blame us ya know. This is a lifestyle change..it's a process, something we are changing for our lifetime.

Looking forward to how you feel when you get up in the a.m and are back to planned meals. Forgive yourself Hon:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • erinlindsay
    Options
    wow thank you so much!! the support really means alot! thanks for helping me put this into perspective!! tomorow is a new day, hopefully ill recover from the damage by excercising 100 cals off more for a couple weeks! thanks you!
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    That is the beauty of it...you are doing exactly what you need to be doing. Everyday you've given yourself purpose and focus. One day will not erase all you've done to bless yourself.

You are one step up admitting where you stand today. That should be commended and I am very proud of you. Remember this is a lifelong way of life. We are not doing this for the time being. We are looking to live this wonderful new life style.

Most days you were right on target. Even a trainer eats outside the target some times. Give yourself a nod and easy up a little...it will get easier.

Plan everything you're going to eat ahead of time, even snacks. Give yourself enough to keep you strong and not lacking....and when necessary give yourself permission to go over & don't beat yourself up. slow goes it.

Most of all...give yourself a big hug, because it's about this "moment" not the past 24 hours.

I'm proud of you!
  • newnormal2010
    Options
    One day won't ruin everything. As long as you pick yourself up and get back on track, this is just a bump in the road. The fact that you actually figured out how much you ate instead of hiding from it is, I think, a very good sign. You're being honest with yourself, which is both difficult and essential. I'm not sure I would have been brave enough to do that!

Start again tomorrow. Don't try to "make up" for today -- just start fresh and move on. :flowerforyou:
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I am so with the other posters.

STOP!!! BREATHE!!!

You have not ruined anything - you actually know what the calorie count is - people who blow it throw in the towel, stop counting and stop caring. You haven't. you're just facing your demons, which you can do now or later (now is way easier!)

People who've truly blown it wouldn't report in and say they've blown it. they'd give up and vanish very quietly. That's not you. You're saying, quite loudly and publicly. that you're struggling - that's very different.

So, take yourself off the hook. You are not required to lose any weight for the time being. You just have to check in here and tell the truth - as you have just done - everyday. Maybe several times a day. And you have to do one other thing - drink a glass of water after you post. That's all.

Do it and you'll be fine.

I think you're going to do fine, this is just part of your process.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Well I'm having the same day as you it must be something in the air. I've been very hungry all day it's 10:13 pm here and I'm battleing if I should eat popcorn in bed I put on my food thing then I take it off and yes I too am over my calorie limit it's the old angel and devil on my shoulder. Eat it no don't eat it. Yes eat it its ok, no you need to drink a glass of ice water you get the idea. Well only 10 hrs to breakfast I guess I can wait.
  • KalB
    KalB Posts: 42
    Options
    You are doing fine one bad day is just that one bad day. Like everyone has said tommorow will be better and remember you have friends here who want nothing more then to support you on the bad days and remind you how great you are doing all the rest. Keep it up and remember to forgive yourself and enjoy a new day tommorow.
  • ratogirl
    ratogirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting!

Based on your weight loss profile and how quickly you have dropped 9 pounds, my feeling (without knowing your specifics) is that you are taking in too few calories and that your body panics if it thinks that you are losing weight too fast and it wants to modulate that weight loss. Hence the binge. I was doing what you were in terms of calorie consumption and weight-loss goals and had equally quick success and then went up from 1200 to 1500 (at my husband's urging) to be more moderate, have sustained energy, and not have to be so rigorously panicked about my food intake. My weekly loss was less, but life is long.

So, don't worry about today. It was an opportunity for you to get feedback!

BTW the NPR show RadioLab did a show recently on pushing through your limits and they talk about caloric use -- check it out.
  • SeoulSilkie
    Options
    Forgive yourself. Next time tackle the emotions that set you to "binge." Really think about your eating - hungry or just filling a void? Sometimes your body does want the extra calories because it's afraid of starving. Maybe you should have 1 or 2 days where you eat 100 extra-ish calories more... You really shouldn't gain weight from adding in a few extra calories a couple times a week (at least I know an extra piece of fruit doesn't tend to add to my weight gain)
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    One cheat in a month? Believe me when I say, this hasn't ruined anything. Give yourself 3 days of eating the way you're supposed to and I bet any weight you gained will be gone. Women do this. We're so good and then we go crazy. Next thing you know, we're falling off the wagon. We mess up once and think "Oh well, I failed again". Try eating a few more calories a day and schedule a cheat day for yourself every week. It will be fine. Trust me.
  • StephanieCanene
    Options
    When I took an off day, ate whatever I wanted or missed, and didn't count calories... were the weeks I lost the most weight! The most. :) It jump started my metabolism. Taking a break isn't a bad thing. You can't deprive your body from everything you love and we all slip. No worries.
  • erinlindsay
    Options
    unfortunatly i gained 3 pounds from it.
  • acakeforawife
    Options
    unfortunatly i gained 3 pounds from it.

You didn't really gain 3 pounds! It's impossible to gain 3 lbs from 4200 calories. (A pound is equal to about 3500 calories.) What you're seeing on the scale today is honestly just sodium (usually when we binge, it's not on fruits and veggies, haha! So the sodium is what kills you on the scale.) Honestly, just give it a few days of 'cleaner' eating and drink lots of water, and that 3 lbs will disappear.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    You didn't ruin anything. I splurged a little this weekend, too, and I don't think I ruined anything at all! I had fun with friends, and maybe I ate & drank a little more than I should. So what? That doesn't erase the lifestyle change I've successfully made. :wink:

Maybe you're being too strict with yourself day to day. I don't deprive myself. Total deprivation for me leads to a major binge & then a feeling of failure. Now I just have some of what I really crave in MODERATION. Then, I never feel deprived so I rarely feel like binging. There is no failure here, and the reason you haven't failed is that you're still trying. Write it off as lesson learned and start right now to try to find a lifestyle change that is sustainable for you. Even if it takes a little longer for the weight to come off, work on changing things that you can live with for the rest of your life.

Edit: And as the poster above me said, you did NOT gain 3 pounds of *fat* from your binge. I'm up 3.4 pounds today from this weekend. I guarantee it's water weight because my sodium intake was *out of control.* I'll be down to what I was Saturday morning by Wednesday. And down even lower by this Friday. I've been at this a long time so I know how my body works and reacts to foods. I just thought it may help you hear that someone else gained even more weight than you over the weekend but she's not even concerned about it. It's a normal daily fluctuation and it's no big deal. :wink: Drink some extra water today to help flush out the extra sodium.