Need tips for growing out hair

Options
2»

Replies

• 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Google "no poo" sounds gross. But I've been doing it for like...3 months and my hair has gotten 2 in longer! Basically I wash my hair with baking soda water and rinse with citric acid.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Oh, and do be careful with biotin. Some people get acne from it. It also only does so much for you, being a water-soluble vitamin. (More on LHC and other hair sites).
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Um . . . . no. I got nothing.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Don't cut it.
  • kittycatkay
    kittycatkay Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Fish oil pills! Also, massaging your head and trimming it once in awhile about a centimeter helps.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Biotin! my hair is getting thicker, longer, less split ends as it grows.

and, stronger nails!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    use Main & Tail Shampoo and conditioner it really works! My hair grew from shoulders to right above butt in one year!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I'm an updo failure, but I usually just stop getting my hair cut ,and it grows and grows.
  • CynthiaElise
    CynthiaElise Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Biotine & Fish Oil!
  • CynthiaElise
    Options
    Getting regular trims works WONDERS too!
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    bump - also trying to grow mine out from an inverted bob :smile:
  • CynthiaElise
    Options
    I just read your post (after already posting) and realize your post subject has nothing to do with your actual post.... Hmmmm.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I have poker straight hair, too. Had it cut into a long layered bob a few years ago and loved it - was eay to grow longer with this style. I took this picture with me:

http://www.justjared.com/photo-gallery/106221/nicole-richie-race-to-erase-ms-12/

(The link will take you to the pic. It is of Nicole Richie with the same hairdo I had).
  • gimmegimmemoar
    gimmegimmemoar Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I second anyone suggesting biotin... Its amazing!! My hair grew 4 inches in under 2 months taking it.. Plus my nails grew so much I stopped biting them after a 20 year habit!
  • chickentunashake
    chickentunashake Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    did you try the french twist? I think you can do that with shoulder lenght hair. Give it a try, it looks great
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    My hair was always shoulder length or shorter most of my adult life. I dyed it constantly and was never able to grow it out, always had to chop it off cuz it was so fried. So I stopped dying (well, twice in the past year), cut back on blow drying and straightening/curling, and used extensions a lot while it was growing out. They were fun! Now my hair is almost boobie length! Thats what I have wanted for so long.
  • tat2dzombiegirl
    tat2dzombiegirl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    As a hair dresser I have seen how many funky ways hair can grow up. I myself love bobs and have grown out many times before. If it was pretty short in the nape and is now growing out long you may have what I call a tail or dog ears. It can resemble a mini mullet and it is so frustrating.

I would recommend a good one length hair cut just to even it out and it will distribute the weight line of the hair to the ends so it will look fuller on straight hair. A hot roller set is a great way to add volume and movement to the hair and will last a couple of days.

Clip in extensions are a very easy and pretty inexpensive way to add a little length or body. Just remember with any extensions no more that one and a half times the length of your hair to keep them natural looking.

I am a big fan of double headbands or fancy headbands in up dos, they are so popular and if you cut some fringe you can look a little fancier with a basic ponytail. Backcomb for body and maybe add a french twist or a chignon. Both are super easy to do but look really classic and elegant.

I forgot to add braids! Braids are amazing and easy. Google a waterfall braid or a fishtail braid even just a french braid can keep it fun and easy!

Bobby pins and vitamins are your bestfriends :) Goodluck!
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I just had mine trimmed. It's still long...but I feel like it's short. I know it'll be back to what it was in a few months...but already taking fish oil. I was taking Biotin for a while...but ran out. I'll be buying that tomorrow...or maybe tonight. :bigsmile:
  • ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    OH! *blushes* This is about hair on your head! I totally thought it was about something else...nevermind.
  • MellyLikestoRun
    MellyLikestoRun Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions! I have never heard of Biotin but I am going to get some. I'm planning on still getting the ends trimmed to avoid split ends. Love all the updo suggestions - getting it off my neck while it's growing really does keep me from the temptation of hacking it off!