Need help cutting down on alcohol and cigarettes!

Options
I joined today because I need to cut down on how much I drink and smoke, and I also want to tone up a bit, to get a healthier lifestyle. I work evenings in a busy city bar and also give out shots at the event nights so my alcohol amount is a lot higher than it should be. I also smoke around 10 cigarettes a day so I want to cut that out too. So I need some help! My friends are supportive but I really think I need the support of strangers too if that makes sense who aren't scared to be honest. Please add me as a friend !

Replies

• gemmamc9
    Options
    I'll be your friend! I tend to drink a bit too much as well. Maybe not as much as you and I only have the occasional cigarette but I'll still support you all the way xxx
  • OliveRiver
    OliveRiver Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'll add you. :)
    I'm not a huge drinker; one or two in the evening. But I am a bit of smoker and I am trying to cut back on that.
    Plus, I've just recently started posting on here, even after having this account since August, so I haven't really made any friends yet.
  • rodeogal1985
    Options
    You can add me! I love to drink :) I don't smoke, but I definitely have to account for all the calories I drink up every weekend!
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    you are not alone. I am aiming for at least 30 day detox. its hard as heck but i know thats what its gonna take to shake the last 15lbs or so before lake time gets here. My wife and all our friends drink so weekends and the ocassional weekday is gonna be a *kitten* for me. Try finding an honest friend willing to make a bet with you. I did that once and made it almost all winter!
  • cwojo
    cwojo Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you like. I quit smoking for good today....Good luck.
  • ChinniP
    ChinniP Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    It may be a bit of a controversy, but I found e-cigarettes to be a better alternative to smoking. Depends on the type as to how well it operates but it worked for me.
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i worked in bar/restaurant and smoking and drinking is part of the game. It wasn't until i got out of the environment that i actually quit both.
  • MizMegan
    Options
    Something that helped me quit smoking was I stopped hanging around people that smoked. If you're around non-smokers, it doesn't cross your mind as much.
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Im currently reading Allen Carrs Easy way to stop smoking, so ill let you know if thats any good once im done.
  • OliveRiver
    OliveRiver Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It may be a bit of a controversy, but I found e-cigarettes to be a better alternative to smoking. Depends on the type as to how well it operates but it worked for me.

My boyfriend and I actually just ordered the Volt e-cigarette a few days ago to see if it would help the two of us cut back.
    So far, it's done wonders!
  • mellymclaughlin
    Options
    I am going dry for January - it might kill me! I survived last year (barring one cheeky cocktail, but my friend got engaged so I refuse to consider it a failure.

I don't actually smoke but my mother has a pub and did a trial where she was giving free e-cigs to customers who don't stay as long due to the smoking ban. I took one and basically, I was smoking it left, right and centre! Smoking it til the cows come home.

The devil really does make work for idle thumbs. Just saying!
  • gimmegimmemoar
    gimmegimmemoar Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hi there! You can add me, just quit 1/1... I tend to go overboard with the drinking when I do drink, so its something I need to work on as well!
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have to be honest... you're facing a very difficult situation unless you're VERY determined to quit. I had to quit cold turkey. You're young, attractive and you work in a bar where people are constantly wanting to buy you drinks. Then, once you're buzzed, you lose all self control to not smoke. I used to be a bartender and I drank almost every day at work.

Try and place some limits on drinking and smoking. (# of cigs per day, # of days per week you drink, etc...) See if you can slowly cut it back. Track your calories and eat more whole foods. Good luck and feel free to add me if you would like.