this is waaaay harder than I thought.

Options
Hi everybody, I'm Eric, I'm 37, and I could use some help losing weight. I am a stay-at-home dad who is in desperate need of dropping about 50 pounds. Here is my problem. I'm a good cook and I like beer. I fear that my days of great food and great beer are behind me. Is anybody else in the same boat that could use some encouragement too?

Replies

• 16Momma16
    16Momma16 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    It is not about deprivation but balance. Making better choices but still enjoying your food. You can do this....
  • ladybird1771
    ladybird1771 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    In the UK we have two chefs called the Hairy Bikers, who have a book on good food, that's low in fat and calories. They do diet lasagne, sweet and sour chicken and chicken korma, to name a few... their recipes are amazing! :)
  • _reno_
    _reno_ Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    hey man.
    I have lost more than 100 lbs, and kept it off for over 3 years.

I also love to cook. This is actually a great advantage for you. With some effort you can learn to make great tasting food that is healthy for you. See it as a challenge to learn to use new ingredients. Also learn to go easy with the olive oil / butter (I used to have a heavy hand with that when I cooked).

I still occasionally indulge in some high calorie foods. Only after an unusually large workout. Beer that is a rare thing for me nowadays. It is not good for the wasteline :(

Good luck
  • ncurtis52
    ncurtis52 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This is the reason that you track your food! You will know that if you want to kick back and have a couple of beers they contain calories...albeit empty calories...but you have to account for those calories. How badly do you want it???
  • bipsqueen
    bipsqueen Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It's really hard, but you will find it's definitely worth it! I have twice the energy that I used to! You find ways to get creative in the cooking department. I'm sorry about the beer, but, everything in moderation!!
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    You can still drink. But not every night, not a 12 pack at a time, and maybe learn to love light beers. I drink once or twice a week, but have changed my focus to...getting drunk off liquor and having a beer or two for the taste rather than the buzz.
  • HDsandy
    Options
    Hi Eric. Beer is a huge part of my weekends (I only like beer, no other alcohol). I've decided that beer is too big a part of my weekends and is a large contributing factor to my weight gain as I feel so happy and relaxed after a few beers that I "forget" about my long term goals of achieving health and weight loss. For me, I am giving up beer for now and maybe forever. There are other people who can drink beer/alcohol and count the calories and lose weight, but I need to break some life habits. Sandy
  • aviatrix80
    Options
    That book sounds amazing Ladybird, I'll have to see if I can get it in New Zealand (or import it).
    Hi Eric, I hope you have success on this journey, you can do it, you just have to believe in yourself, and think about every single thing you cook and/or put into your mouth. I'm sure like me, you feel you deserve the happiness, and your kids deserve to see you happy and healthy. It can be hard when you are used to big portions, or grabbing what you can inbetween helping your kids with anything and everything, but we can do it! If you want to add me as a friend, I'll help with motivation.
    Reno, great work losing 100lbs and keeping it off, you rock!! It must be a great feeling. I bet you will agree with me when I've said to Eric that we have to think carefully about everything we cook and everything we put in our mouths. Did you do a mix of diet (or rather making good food choices) and exercise, or focus more on one of them?
  • ryanherbert
    ryanherbert Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody, I'm Eric, I'm 37, and I could use some help losing weight. I am a stay-at-home dad who is in desperate need of dropping about 50 pounds. Here is my problem. I'm a good cook and I like beer. I fear that my days of great food and great beer are behind me.
    Great food is certainly not behind you. I would recommend you purchase three books: Clean Eating, Clean Eating 2 and Clean Eating 3. I got them on Amazon for roughly US$50 plus US$20 shipping to Australia. They have some recipes that taste amazing but are healthy at the same time!

Regarding beer, well yes that's going to have to go. Just depends on what's more important - beer or losing that 50 pounds :)
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    If you can cook, then there is no way that your days of good food are behind you. Your days of going back for thirds might be over, but you can cook food that is absolutely delicious and fit for a healthy body!

Get some inspiration by perusing sites like skinnytaste.com (I mention that first because so many skinnytaste recipes are already in the database for easy logging) or books and magazines of light recipes.

And there's no reason you can't have a beer or two -- I haven't given up my wine! -- just keep it in moderation and make it fit into your daily calorie goal.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I like beer and I like to cook and eat. That being said, I have found that I get to enjoy all of that. I just eat smaller portions. Strangely, the portion control thing seems to work. If you want a beer, drink a (1) beer. If you want a steak eat 4 or 6 ounces vice 8 or more. Still get the flavor at a fraction of the cals. For me, portion control was the easiest way to not give up on all the things I wanted to eat.

The other option is to runn your *kitten* off so you can eat what you want.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Oh how I miss a good craft beer. When I first started MFP I realized that I was drinking about a quarter of my calories every day. At first, I cut out beer altogether. Then I realized that I was actually craving it! Not the alcohol aspect, just the deliciousness of it. Now, when planning a nite out, one of my restaurant decision factors is if they have good beer or not. Then I plan the beer into my calories for the day along with the rest of my meal. Honestly, looking forward to that drink all week (or sometimes all month) make it taste so much better.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In the UK we have two chefs called the Hairy Bikers, who have a book on good food, that's low in fat and calories. They do diet lasagne, sweet and sour chicken and chicken korma, to name a few... their recipes are amazing! :)

(Low fat? Why? Why why why??? Fat is delicious.)

OP, you can do this and still enjoy the foods you love. The trick is to start by decreasing your net calories to an appropriate amount, ensuring you are getting adequate nutrition from the foods you are eating, and finding days where you can enjoy your favorite food and drink while still meeting the first two objectives. The best way to do this is to track everything you eat/drink and exercise.
  • currierand
    currierand Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster who said that knowing how to cook is actually an asset. It's been my experience that going out to eat and takeaway foods are what get me into trouble. But when I prepare food at home it is easier to stay within my calorie goals. Also, I am a big believer in saving my calories for really good food. Meaning, I'd rather eat a small portion of high quality items prepared the way I like them as opposed to a large portion of low fat, chock full of chemicals and fake fat alternatives. But you will have to see what works best for you. Also, if you aren't exercising, make it a priority and do it. I also enjoy a cocktail, and I can't imagine sticking to this long term if I had to get rid of them entirely. Most people here work,out to build muscle and get strong. Yeah, those things are nice but I do it so I can afford a beer or a slice of cake when I want it...oh and for a nice butt :drinker:

Good luck to you. Kelly.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    It is much easier to eat 1500 calories worth of calorie light food, like green vegetables, steamed rice, any piece of meat you can find, potatoes, baked fish...

When 1600 calories is the caloric cost of a McDonalds Angus Bacon Cheeseburger, Large fries, and a Large Coke, You can sort of see how total food volume can come into play here. 1600 calories of healthy food would be TEN 4 ounce portions of baked chicken breast PLUS six cups of steamed broccoli. I don't know about you, but given an entire DAY I don't think I could eat that much.

When we eat less, our body makes up for the calorie deficit by chaining fatty acids together with amino acids... from stored fat and stored protein. If we eat enough protein in our diet, then stored protein (muscle) won’t be used. That’s why you see people lose muscle mass when they diet, glucogenesis requires protein from somewhere, and the body doesn’t care where it comes from.

So, keep your beer, limit it to once or twice a week, or fit it into your macros.. If at all possible embrace the 55 calorie beer, I have made the switch, and All I really enjoyed about beer was the flavor and the way you can enjoy brewskis with others.. Just drink yours from a glass from now on if they give you trouble about it.

Eat, MOAR, MEAT! seriously, protein is a man's saving grace. If you eat your daily recommended allotment of 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight, or for a 200 pound man, somewhere in the neighborhood of 800 calories worth of protein (protein = 4 calories per gram).

When you eat that much protein, and add in green fibrous vegetables, you will feel more full than ever. The only meats that are even remotely off limits for people trying to cut fat are high fat meats like ground beef, which can be 20% fat.. if you want lean ground beef, have the butcher grind a lean roast for you, I HATE how they add in fat to give it more weight.

Lean ground turkey is good, chicken breast, lean cuts of pork, less bratwurst. Bacon is ok if you limit it to once or twice a week. Center cut Oscar Mayer bacon is good stuff, not too fatty and plenty of protein in it. Any. Kind. OF FISH. shrimp, tilapia, salmon is full of good fats, scallops, lobster and crab if you want to go fancy, fake crab is a PERFECT snack, it's actually made out of pollock.

Seriously, go crazy on meat, and cut out the snack food, you really shouldn't have to watch too terribly closely if you stay away from hundred calorie handfuls of junk.
  • brisweeney
    Options
    Its all about the balance. I homebrew (and i like beer). You just need to make sure that you balance what you eat / drink. If i know that on friday night im going to have a 200 Calorie beer or 300 Calories in Scotch, i go earn it.

Get going around the corner and do some walking. Take the kids, push the stroller. This is SO much easier when you incorporate some activity.

Remember this isnt the end of something, its the beginning.. (Corny - Oh yea it its... but its the truth).
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I've found that I can modify some of my favorite recipes to be more calorie friendly. Some of my favorite foods (mainly pizza and pasta) I still have, but not as often as I used to. The good thing is you like to cook so you know exactly what's going into your food. I like finding creative ways to make a recipe healthier. There are also really good healthy recipes out there! Try skinnytaste.com. You have to establish a plan for yourself that you can follow long term. There's give and take.
  • Midnight1210
    Midnight1210 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It is not about deprivation but balance. Making better choices but still enjoying your food. You can do this....

^ This. You don't need to give up everything you enjoy, you just need to be more aware of how much you are eating and balance that with enough exercise. As for alcohol, maybe try just giving it up for the duration until you hit goal and then consume in moderation afterwards (that's my plan anyways). Or, if you just can't give it up, then make sure you do calculate it into your food diary.

You can do it, I'm rooting for you. :bigsmile:
  • Reneeisfat
    Reneeisfat Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Beer wine and spirits isn't just something "I drink" but really a hobby and passion. I'm a homebrewer, wine maker and even built my own Irish pub in my basement-3/tap-8 keg capacity fully stocked.
    But I decided that I wouldn't have any alcohol for a month and reward myself when I go to beer festivals...which are about every 2 months.
    I have to lose the weight and get my body moving again.
  • kyricus
    kyricus Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Like Brisweeny I'm a home brewer, I've lost weight before while continuing to brew and drink my own beer (albeit at a lower consumption level) and I plan on doing it again. It was my lack of exercise combined with becoming my mothers caretaker and not cutting back my eating that did me in. Now that's all behind me I'm trying to get back on track. I love to cook, and I do love a good beer or two, you are in good company. Just plan it into your day, and you'll be fine.

I find that if I deprive myself the things I like, I definitely won't be able to do the things I like less.