Proud to be a Newbie!

Options
Based on things I have read I know that a lot of people don’t care too much for newbies at the gym, although I assume everybody was one at some point. Despite that fact, I still say the following with great pride: this morning I was a newbie.

I have been in a gym before, believe it or not, and have even used some of the equipment. I also readily admit I don’t know everything, or even much at all, but I will learn in time. I will not quit.

If you are a gym veteran I want to say that I have great respect for you and your dedication. Hell, I want to be you in the future. If I may be so bold as to ask you this one small favor - if you see a newbie who looks lost or confused and you are comfortable doing so, please take just a second to offer them a helping hand. That helping hand may just be the difference between a newbie who still works out in September and a newbie that will be a newbie again next year – or worse a never will be again. Thank you, from a newbie.

Replies

• DOMTIA1012
    DOMTIA1012 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    True... I wish people would lend me a helping hand more. Some of the equip. Im like WTF is that.
  • CLI_2012
    Options
    Congratulations! The first step is through the door! I remember my first day at my new gym...it was so overwhelming, and I had been going to a different one! Good luck, and hopefully you'll be a regular in no time!
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options

If you are a gym veteran I want to say that I have great respect for you and your dedication. Hell, I want to be you in the future. If I may be so bold as to ask you this one small favor - if you see a newbie who looks lost or confused and you are comfortable doing so, please take just a second to offer them a helping hand. That helping hand may just be the difference between a newbie who still works out in September and a newbie that will be a newbie again next year – or worse a never will be again. Thank you, from a newbie.

Interesting, this is what I just started a post about, helping all the newbie’s so they keep coming and not drop by February. I do hope a gym vet can show you how a few of those strange machines work.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Based on things I have read I know that a lot of people don’t care to much for newbies at the gym, although I assume everybody was one at some point. Despite that fact, I still say the following with great pride: this morning I was a newbie.

I have been in a gym before, believe it or not, and have even used some of the equipment. I also readily admit I don’t everything, or even much at all, but I will learn in time. I will not quit.

I don't think that people "don't care for newbies". It happens every year. The gym fills up for 4 weeks, and then empties out.

With that said: I don't feel comfortable "lending a hand". You don't know how people will react when you give them advice. I help someone out of the blue, and then they don't come back because they know someone saw them.

It can be a two way street.
  • mominwi419
    Options
    Based on things I have read I know that a lot of people don’t care too much for newbies at the gym, although I assume everybody was one at some point. Despite that fact, I still say the following with great pride: this morning I was a newbie.

I have been in a gym before, believe it or not, and have even used some of the equipment. I also readily admit I don’t know everything, or even much at all, but I will learn in time. I will not quit.

Awesome for you! Welcome!

Last year, I was having a hard time with newbies. But, to my defense, I was 8.5 months pregnant and was super cranky.

Gym was packed last night, but I remained positive and made sure to flash smiles to those I haven't seen before.
  • dsengel01
    dsengel01 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am proud to say I was noobie last night!! I purposely went late hoping to avoid the rush of regulars. There were a handful of people there and the owner was working. He made sure to introduce me to everybody there and then spent an hour with me showing me the basics of kettlebells. I had a great time and felt welcome, for which I was relieved. Looking forward to going back tomorrow.
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    I'm going to become a newbie on Monday too Kevin! I'm so proud of you for putting your best foot forward and hope you will continue to keep them there for many years to come. Have fun and enjoy,

Wish me luck on getting some help, I'll need it! lol
  • BeingKevin
    BeingKevin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I don't think that people "don't care for newbies". It happens every year. The gym fills up for 4 weeks, and then empties out.

With that said: I don't feel comfortable "lending a hand". You don't know how people will react when you give them advice. I help someone out of the blue, and then they don't come back because they know someone saw them.

I certainly understand if you don't feel comfortable lending a hand and have no issue if you don't.

I could be wrong, but I would think a friendly "hey, let me know if you need help" to somebody who looks like they are not sure how to operate a machine would be much appreciated. I am sure there a exceptions but I would imagine there are few and far between. My opinion.
  • BeingKevin
    Options
    I am proud to say I was noobie last night!! I purposely went late hoping to avoid the rush of regulars. There were a handful of people there and the owner was working. He made sure to introduce me to everybody there and then spent an hour with me showing me the basics of kettlebells. I had a great time and felt welcome, for which I was relieved. Looking forward to going back tomorrow.

Wow, that is great to hear. That is how you keep people coming back!
  • BeingKevin
    Options
    I'm going to become a newbie on Monday too Kevin! I'm so proud of you for putting your best foot forward and hope you will continue to keep them there for many years to come. Have fun and enjoy,

Wish me luck on getting some help, I'll need it! lol

No doubt you will be awesome!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

Nothing wrong with being a newbie as long as you TRY.

I was a little peeved yesterday when I saw 2 newbies standing sideways on treadmills that were NOT moving, chatting up a storm for 20-30 minutes. I also get peeved when I see newbies not wiping off the machines, or spraying so much sanitiser on the machines that I have to dry them off to use them.

I personally spent quite a bit of time this past year helping newbies with the treadmill if they were on one next to me and had *the look* on their faces.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I certainly understand if you don't feel comfortable lending a hand and have no issue if you don't.

I could be wrong, but I would think a friendly "hey, let me know if you need help" to somebody who looks like they are not sure how to operate a machine would be much appreciated. I am sure there a exceptions but I would imagine there are few and far between. My opinion.

Personally, someone's form has to be of great injury capability, or they're doing something on the cardio deck they my require my performing first aid before I get too involved.
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I am so proud of you Newbie :) good for you!
  • ImprovingEla
    ImprovingEla Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Hey, good to hear, you had a good time at the gym.

When I was there wednesday it was funny, we had a photographer running around to make a piece about new years resolutioners going to the gym, only when she was there no one seems to be new, all the oldies were working out!!!

Sometimes a smile can really help or in my case, taking the music out of my ears!

Have a great, active and healthy year everyone, may injuries stay far away from us!:smile:
  • lcnick_38
    Options
    I personally don't mind newbies, I want to see everyone get healthy. I actually got excited today in Sam's club when there was a crowd around the produce section....Hoping everyone has success with being healthy.
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I admit to not liking the "New Years Crowd" (only because I can't get a treadmill) but at least they're trying. If they stop coming in March then show up next January then that's great...better than not showing up at all and at least they haven't given up trying. That being said, I have no problem helping someone who looks lost. Did it last week actually.

Glad to hear from the folks who are hitting the gym for the first time (either ever or in a long time). Keep moving, no excuses.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i have never seen or overheard anyone make fun of a newbie at the gym. about the only things i remember being made fun of are too much perfume and bad B.O.
  • blancheellen
    blancheellen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good thought and well said. Being a newbie is hard and worse when your at lost for what to do. So proud of you keep it up. You will take thin far so keep up the work dude :happy:
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I haven't really spent time in the lifting part of a gym before, but I used to take Tae Kwon do in a local gym. It was always interesting to watch the lifters and all while we were waiting for class to start. I do remember Phys Ed in school how they taught us to use the weight machines though. I suppose I might know somewhat of how to use some stuff at least if I were to ever be able to afford a gym membership. It could be interesting, though, as it's been many years since I have been in one.