Walking DVD

Options
I am going to order a Leslie Sansone walking dvd to get myself started. She has so many, which should I choose?

Replies

• Squatbenchrepeat
    Options
    Do you need someone to show you how to walk? Not trying to be insulting, but is that all it is?
  • bbmkr3
    bbmkr3 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hope you are getting a hell of a deal on that DVD! IMO it would be a waste of $$$.
    Walking is not hard...
    You stretch, walk desired amount of time/ distance and then stretch again.

Sorry if this seems a little rude but I am just surprised that they even sell this kind of video :noway:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest getting one of the ones that goes up to 5 miles so you'll have something to aim for. She breaks them all into one mile segments so the farther it is the more choices you have. Otherwise they're all a lot alike really.

Edit: It's not just "walking" like go outside and walk. She includes a lot of movement and if you add hand weights it can be quite effective for someone who is just starting to get active. I prefer to go running myself but not everyone is in the physical shape or has the ability to do that. We all have to start somewhere!
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I have the 1 mile, 2 mile, 3 mile and one other I cannot think of right now. They are not just walking.. you do kicks, sidesteps, knee lifts, ect, lots of arm movements and even work with weights. There is more to it than just walking in place. They are really good workouts. The people who are giving you a hard time have never seen or used these videos and do not know that they are an actual workout.

I have heard that you can watch them on YouTube for free, but I prefer the videos on tv.
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I like the ones that have a quick 1-mile walk all the way up to a more intense 5-mile walk on the same DVD so you can vary your workout according to your time constraints and energy level.
  • bbmkr3
    bbmkr3 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I honestly wasn't trying to give them a bad time, If I could have figured out how to delete my post I would have. Kudos to OP for trying to get moving and much success to whatever route they decide to take. I know how hard and difficult this road is to take and how hard it is to stay motivated along the way.
  • Mztae78
    Mztae78 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I use the 3 mile walking with resistance bands. For me its a good workout have been doing it for about a month, and its not like walking outside its quite different. I will get her 5 mile walk next
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why some people on here have to be so rude and bash a post. Any exercise is better than none right?!?!

I am sorry you got some comments that weren't helpful. I posted yesterday a question about running and wished I had never posted it after some of the comments I got. Why can't people be supportive of everyone on here...!?!?

I have the 1 and 2 mile walk of hers and I also have the 1-5 mile walk of hers. It is a good way to get started or if you have knee problems. I use my heart monitor watch to see how much it increased with the dvds also.

Check them out on youtube before you buy any. You can pick them up at any discount store like Walmart, Target, Kmart and Sam's club. Ebay sells them cheap new too!

Good luck!
  • SherryL1979
    Options
    Okay I LOVE Leslie's dvds....they're WAAAY more than "just walking". I have several of them and they're all really good but there is a 5 mile one called "A Mile Each Morning" and you can just do one different routine a day or do several or all of the 5 miles in one day. It's really good because it gives you a variety. But really they're all good!!

Edit: Another one of my favorites that I have is called "Fast & Firm"...it's 4 miles and comes with the exercise band which is used in the last mile so that one adds variety too.
  • courtneylwatson
    courtneylwatson Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Right now on her website you can watch a 1 mile video for free. If you join her walk social club on facebook (also free) you have access to many more free full length videos. I own several I like her 5 mile Advanced Walk dvd because it is 5 different miles and you can do all of them or just 1 or 2.
  • kaitiebeth89
    kaitiebeth89 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have her 4 really fast miles dvd and just recently bought the 5 mile dvd. I feel like it's a great work-out! It's how I have lost a lot of my weight.
  • TamiBarnes66
    TamiBarnes66 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE Leslie Sansone workouts! I have almost all of her workouts. She is wonderful..each workout is at your level and intensity. You cant go wrong with any of them. Some are harder or longer than others, it just depends what you are wanting.

These walking workouts are much more intense than just walking. You use many more muscles than just walking in a forward motion. There are 4 basic moves, including walking, side steps, kicking and knee up, but she also uses other steps, kick backs, mambos, boosted walking(jogging), etc... she is definately easy to follow, but not always easy in the workout..It can be as hard as you want it or maybe easier on a day when you want an easier workout... You make these workouts harder or easier yourself. By squating deeper into the side steps, or kicking higher or using your arms,. You can also add weights, stretchy bands, weighted belts or her walk belt to make the workouts more intense. I will say, that I have found that sometimes a workout that I have found easy one day another day is a lot harder. It all depends on you. Goodluck !
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Leslie Sansone DVDs! It's a great workout and she's so upbeat and perky. You can't help but smile and get into it. She seems like a friendly and positive person. As for what you should get, it depends on your current level of fitness. If you are very out of shape and/or extremely heavy (like over 100 pounds) I would suggest getting one of her slower videos where the miles are 20 minutes each. But if you are in ok shape and want/need a faster workout, I suggest her 5 Mile Fat Burner DVD, the miles are 12 minutes each. I do this one every day, and you can see how much weight I've lost since last January!
  • itsdonna35
    Options
    I love the Start Walking at Home with Leslie Sansone DVD. It's beginner/intermediate and has a 1 and 2 mile walk. Great for beginners and you will really work up a sweat. I started with this DVD when I first started to exercise because I had never really exercised before and it was a great way to transition into exercise.
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    youtube has them ALL for FREE. I'm going to start using them at home.
  • mochalishious
    mochalishious Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Yaya I walk with her on you tube. Love it
    For everyone saying walking is just walking that is true. More so when you walk outside. When you do it at home it's different because you have such a small space & it's easy to get bored with it. Leslie Sansone shows you different things to do to to keep you going at home
  • jeaniebear54
    jeaniebear54 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I enjoy using her DVDs especially in the winter or when it is raining. At least you are exercising. YOU GO GIRL. I am proud of you for starting with her DVDs. :happy:

I have a question. How do you track it when you use hand weights while doing walking? I have another Prevention Personal Training video with Chris Freytag and she uses weights with her aerobics and walking, how would I track that for my exercise?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Do you need someone to show you how to walk? Not trying to be insulting, but is that all it is?

I'm definitely going to have start producing and selling workout videos. It's got to be like picking money up off the ground
  • jeaniebear54
    jeaniebear54 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Why don't you guys try the video and see the difference between simple walking and doing one of her DVDs and you will see the muscles that you use with the DVD that YOU DON'T use with simple walking. Nice to know some people know everything. I thought this was suppose to be a helpful place but I guess there are some people that like to put other's down.
  • jmmoiadams
    Options
    i think they are all great.....i use 3 different ones