Swimming Calorie Deficit

Options
Hi!
I have always used the MyFitnessPal app to help me track what I eat and how I exercise and I always find that it works for me.
Lately I have started swimming and when I put that into MFP, it says I burn a ridiculous amount of calories. 692 calories for just treading water quickly for 45 minutes. Since I am "burning" so many calories, I need to eat more and so it adds to my remaining calories. But is this information unreliable? I don't want to eat more if it's going to mess up anything but I also don't want to leave myself with a 700 calorie deficit at the end of the day! Thanks!

Replies

• maggiewithfins
    maggiewithfins Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    There is a swimming group on here that you can have a look at and join if you want to. I think what MFP has given you is a gross overestimate. You could just try putting in the "swimming, leisurely general" exercise as that is quite light. I tend to use the swimming - light to moderate effort one even when I am swimming relatively quickly. I think it overestimates and it's best to be conservative in eating back the exercise calories.
    A good guide is to see if you keep losing weight when you eat back the exercise calories. If not, don't eat them back or eat half etc.