Heel Pain Assistance

Options
A few weeks ago I did something while working out that tweaked my heel (for reference, it's the back side on the outer edge). I don't know what I did and I can still do some forms of working out, but I find walking and running are incredibly painful. It's as though the pushing off part is crippling me.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has done this, what it is and how long it will take to heal? Thoughts, ideas are all welcome. Thanks

Replies

• BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    If you have plantar fasciatis you should'nt ignore it, rule #1 with that issue.. I've had in in both feet and it was'nt fun. Start with icing it, resting it up elevated, Wrap your foot or get a stretchable wrap. Plus there are stretching exercises you can do, Like putting a towel around the ball of your foot and tugging slowly back to you. Or stand against a wall and puch off with you feet as far from the wall as you comfortably can. Last resort is custom orthotics, if it's not too severe you might get some relief with inserts from your local running store or Wal Mart.. Good Luck... :)
  • poeco76
    poeco76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have plantar fasciitis, but I appreciate the advice. Maybe icing will help even if it's something else? It doesn't seem swollen, but the pain isn't fun. I may end up having to go to the dr's because I keep hoping it will get better in time...thus far, that hasn't happened.
  • _reno_
    _reno_ Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have plantar fasciitis, but I appreciate the advice. Maybe icing will help even if it's something else? It doesn't seem swollen, but the pain isn't fun. I may end up having to go to the dr's because I keep hoping it will get better in time...thus far, that hasn't happened.

Agree it is in the wrong part of the foot for classic plantar fasciitis. If it is worst in the mornings and then gets better with movement it could be a possibility

Perhaps it is achilles tendonitis....
    I would recommend staying off of it entirely for 2-4 weeks. don't do anything that aggravates it. Apply ice to the area regularly, and try to stretch your foot / calf.

You could do some weight lifting / swimming / rowing / cycling while it heals. If you don't see improvement in a couple of weeks I would go to a doctor.
  • poeco76
    poeco76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thanks...that's what I'm thinking - that I need to do activities that don't stress the area more. I will give it a bit more time to see if it improves. Thanks again!
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Go get an xray
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Go get an xray

Why?
  • Rachelmilloy
    Rachelmilloy Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Those blasted heels... easy to forget about, until they make their prescence known. If the pain is in the back of the heel, then it may be where the Achilles tendon attaches. And you would want to ice the area for 15 minutes, and do exercises to stretch your calf muscles, according to my chiropractor (so long as they don't cause you more pain).

In my case, my back of heel pain (feels like a dog has fastened his jaws on my heel and therefore it doesn't flex normally) was due to heel spurs (bony outgrowth caused by the pressure of shoes not quite long enough) and an inflamed bursa. Check the insides of your shoes for signs of excessive wear on the back of the heel, that will tell you if there' s too much pressure on your heel . If so, you will find a great improvement if you stop wearing those shoes. The ideal would be to wear backless shoes. I had a shoemaker cut off the back of the heel portion of those shoes. If you have access to a whirlpool, my chiropractor agreed that massaging the heel to calf area with the jet spray for several minutes (twice) would be helpful . And the 15 minutes icing as needed.

Hope it's feeling better soon. Another idea would be to phone a physiotherapist to establish whether you could just see a physiotherapist directly, rather than going to a doctor first.

My problem was diagnosed by a podiatrist who performed a diagnostic ultrasound. He also recommended that my medical doctor order an x-ray of my ankle to ensure there were no other problems, but I never got around to doing that. All the best !!!