Do Yall Eat the Extra Calories

Options
from working out?? Pro's/Con's??

Replies

• Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    Nope. I try to eat the amount of calories that are needed to sustain the weight I want to be at. Not the weight I am.
  • katgrif
    katgrif Posts: 4
    Options
    no otherwise you dont lose weight. I am very active and only aim to eat 1,500 a day. All the sport that I do is my 'weight loss calories' and not the calories i need to maintain my weight.
  • jmatecki
    jmatecki Posts: 32
    Options
    I would just be aware on those days that you are doing EXTREME workouts b/c you don't want to deprive your body of the essential nutrients it needs esp during muscle building days. If you deprive yourself your metabolism with slow or stop b/c there isn't enough for your body to replenish....HOWEVER most people rarely fall into this position b/c they aren't doing Hours of workouts ..... so I don't even consider those extra "free calories". =)
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    I am on 1200 cals per day. When I do exercise, I do eat all of my calories back and I have and continue to lose weight:bigsmile:
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    from working out?? Pro's/Con's??
    Go into the newbies threads and read the posts and articles. There are already some long standing posts about this very topic. Please read them and make a decision for yourself.

I ate mine and lost weight very well. Others have not eaten them and have also lost weight. You need to see what is best and talk to your doctor about it. Good luck.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Hey

Some days I do and some days I dont. Each person has to decide whats best for them.

I try to stick to my 1200 calories a day and dont worry about the calories I burned working out.

You can try it both ways and see what works best for you or speak to your doctor and see what he suggests

Goodluck:smile:
  • Newfunlander
    Newfunlander Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I didn't eat my exercise calories and stopped losing weight. When I calculated the amount of calories I was consuming and deducted my exercise calories, I was only eating 700 calories a day. My body was in starvation mode. Everyone is different but I need to eat mine or all my hard work accomplishes no weight loss.
  • kbhobbs
    kbhobbs Posts: 216
    Options
    I too do both. Some days I lose, some days, I don't. Just hang in there.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I do. MFP has already created the deficit that you need in order to obtain a loss. Eating your exercise calories ensures that you're providing your body with the fuel it needs to continue burning calories and working efficiently. That being said... there have been days when I have not been able to eat all of my exercise calories... on those days I have eaten what I could and called it good. I do notice that if I eat my exercise calories I feel MUCH better the day after than if I don't.

Like someone posted above though - there are threads posted for newcomers that were written by people who have not only succeededin weight loss but have done a bunch of research on it... check them out. When I started, it helped me immensely!

Good luck on your path to success!
  • Bleux
    Bleux Posts: 186
    Options
    I didn't eat my exercise calories and stopped losing weight. When I calculated the amount of calories I was consuming and deducted my exercise calories, I was only eating 700 calories a day. My body was in starvation mode. Everyone is different but I need to eat mine or all my hard work accomplishes no weight loss.

I asked the same question you did a week or so ago and everyone pretty much answered that i needed to eat back my calories. Newfunlander pretty much says what I figured out as well... I was eating 1200 calories a day, then burning off around 700-900 during workouts throught the day. Which meant my body was only getting 300-500 calories to live on. It is no wonder I couldn't loose weight. My body was holding on to everything it could get in fear of not getting any more. If you work out your BMR (google it for formula or online calculator) then you will know how much your body needs to burn just to maintain your weight (your body burns calroies even if you just sit on the sofa every day in order to function; pumping blood, breathing, etc). You will realize that MFP reduces the calories from that number according to what you entered as your activity level and extra exercise for the day. Even if you eat back the calories you are working off during exercise, you still have a calorie deficit. You don't want to send your body into starvation mode cause it will hang on to every bit of fat it can. Plus you will start burning off muscle mass rather than fat as it is easier for your body to take and process for fuel.
  • lknorthstar
    lknorthstar Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have been eating most of mine back...or on the days I have indulged myself I have been working out to burn off those extra calories. Tomorrow will be my first way in since starting this site (I joined awhile back but participate until now, I am enjoying it and wish I would have sooner) so we shall see tomorrow if I lost more weight or not!
  • BahamaMama85
    BahamaMama85 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughts everyone, I'll check out the newbie threads.