New to MyFitnessPal, hey!

Options
Hey there everyone, my name is Alejandro. I look forward to making a bunch of new friends here, the community seems wonderful! So many people motivating and helping each other out, it's truly amazing :')

I decided to start using MyFitnessPal to actually track what I eat, it's better to know what you're putting in your body than just guessing. My new lifestyle started half a year to a year ago, being around 200lbs made me feel horrible! My self esteem was extremely low, I felt tired, uncertain, it was time for a change. Now, I am 148lbs, and have never felt better. Now ironically, I want to gain weight! How funny is that, haha, but of course, muscle weight.

What do I have planned? I plan to gain about a pound or two per month. Beginning next Monday, I'm going to start this new thing called Intermittent Fasting, I can't wait! I hope to be able to reach 160-180 lbs, slowly but surely we can all reach our goals.

I've learned so many things, I really hope I get to help out a lot of you. If any of you have any questions, feel free to ask! From exercise tips to your diet to healthy, delicious meals, I gotchu! I specially love cooking, real fun.

Add me, let's have a fun conversation, let's motivate each other, we can all do it together. Thank you, and good luck!

Replies

• Justkritter
    Justkritter Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hey man! We are somehow in a similar situation. I came from 170 lbs originally before I even started using MFP. I dropped to 140lbs max using extreme calorie deficit and it just ruined my metabolism and strength. Right now I'm trying to get back up to 155lbs I'm just at 5'7 though. How much calories are you having right now and do you workout? For me what I'm doing is I'm increasing my calorie intake to what is really needed for my body and maybe even higher to pack on some muscle. I'm doing 100-300 additional every week. So I went from 1800 to 2100 right now but I'm not gonna add again till I feel that I've balanced my diet and intensity of workout.
  • ordnaj3la1
    ordnaj3la1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hey man! We are somehow in a similar situation. I came from 170 lbs originally before I even started using MFP. I dropped to 140lbs max using extreme calorie deficit and it just ruined my metabolism and strength. Right now I'm trying to get back up to 155lbs I'm just at 5'7 though. How much calories are you having right now and do you workout? For me what I'm doing is I'm increasing my calorie intake to what is really needed for my body and maybe even higher to pack on some muscle. I'm doing 100-300 additional every week. So I went from 1800 to 2100 right now but I'm not gonna add again till I feel that I've balanced my diet and intensity of workout.

Oh man, we have a really similar situation! It's crazy haha.
    My weight loss, like yours, was actually extreemmeellyy unhealthy. I basically starved myself while doing Insanity, I'm not sure exactly how many calories I would eat per day, but I'd say anywhere from 700-1500 per day, I know, crazy! My metabolism, just like yours, has been completely ruined, but slowly we can repair it.

I'm 5'10, 148.8 lbs. I'm eating 2300-2400 calories on intense workout days, 2000-2200 calories on less intense workout days, like yoga, and 1800-2000 calories on rest days, which is my maintenance calorie intake, 1900 calories. I do workout everyday except Sunday, which is my rest day.

I'm pretty much doing what you're doing, 100-300 calorie surplus for a clean bulk. Feels like I've found my twin :')
  • linndariaicollier
    Options
    Hello my name is Linndariai Wilder (Linnda) for short, I am new to myfitness pal after reading on Facebook numerous and numerous of success stories and every success story stated they used myfitnesspal to track there progress. So I said hey let me try this since I am starting my new way of eating right and healthier. I am acticing a pesecatarian diet which will help me physically, and spiritually. I know this site will help me achieve my goal of loosing 50pds because there are so many people trying to achieve the same goal
  • Justkritter
    Options

My weight loss, like yours, was actually extreemmeellyy unhealthy. I basically starved myself while doing Insanity, I'm not sure exactly how many calories I would eat per day, but I'd say anywhere from 700-1500 per day, I know, crazy! My metabolism, just like yours, has been completely ruined, but slowly we can repair it.

I'm 5'10, 148.8 lbs. I'm eating 2300-2400 calories on intense workout days, 2000-2200 calories on less intense workout days, like yoga, and 1800-2000 calories on rest days, which is my maintenance calorie intake, 1900 calories. I do workout everyday except Sunday, which is my rest day.

I'm pretty much doing what you're doing, 100-300 calorie surplus for a clean bulk. Feels like I've found my twin :')

Haha. Yeah. One thing though is that I won't be going down below 2000 calories a day anymore since I'm trying to gain muscle mass and cut fat so any extra amount of calories will really be helpful to up metabolism. Though, another thing is I'm feeling so stuffy this week after upping a clean 200 to my diet. Not stuffy in a bad way since one benefit is that I am already lifting better than when I was on starvation mode. I'm probably not gonna add more calorie till next next week. I'll hope to stabilize my stomach to be ready for more intake. lol
  • Justkritter
    Options
    Hello my name is Linndariai Wilder (Linnda) for short, I am new to myfitness pal after reading on Facebook numerous and numerous of success stories and every success story stated they used myfitnesspal to track there progress. So I said hey let me try this since I am starting my new way of eating right and healthier. I am acticing a pesecatarian diet which will help me physically, and spiritually. I know this site will help me achieve my goal of loosing 50pds because there are so many people trying to achieve the same goal

Hi! I've been on MFP for a year now but I just started being active here in the forums today. :)
  • ordnaj3la1
    Options

Good luck! I recommend taking a picture and video of you right now, and doing that every month or so. Sometimes, you might think you haven't made much progress, but you'll be surprised when you look back at those pictures and video. Plus, it's nice to reminisce on how you used to look like :)
  • ordnaj3la1
    Options

Haha. Yeah. One thing though is that I won't be going down below 2000 calories a day anymore since I'm trying to gain muscle mass and cut fat so any extra amount of calories will really be helpful to up metabolism. Though, another thing is I'm feeling so stuffy this week after upping a clean 200 to my diet. Not stuffy in a bad way since one benefit is that I am already lifting better than when I was on starvation mode. I'm probably not gonna add more calorie till next next week. I'll hope to stabilize my stomach to be ready for more intake. lol

You know what, you're right. 2000 calories, no less, for rest day now (y). One thing though, don't up your calories too much weekly like that. I'd say measure your weight and body fat percentage each week or two. People usually say monthly but I prefer to do it more frequently. Like this, you can really tell how your body is doing and if you're gaining more fat than muscle or the other way around. Then, based on what you see, change your diet. Just read your body :) Quick questions, what are your macros like?