olive garden

Options
me and my hubby are going to the olive garden on saturday for our anniversary and i want to plan ahead to not go over (or etremely over) in my calories.... i AM a vegetarian, any advice on whats yummy and not super unhealthy

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    pick a better restaurant.....
  • Soloflyergirl2
    Soloflyergirl2 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Salad, greens veggies. If they have steamed veggies as a side, order two of them.. without salt.. You can add salt to taste.
    Don't eat more than one white breadstick, if you have to eat it at all.... They are covered in butter. Order grilled chicken breast,,,,, veggies,,, huge salad... Soup has a lot of salt... but have a cup, not a bowl.... and then... really enjoy yourself... You're not killing yourself with carbs and sugar... Someone loves you.... so smile.... :flowerforyou:
  • shawnteahsing
    shawnteahsing Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    look on there website. they have the whole nutrition info. the eggplant parm. is not to bad for you.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Orrrrrr, just eat what you want. Either work it in your cals or don't stress too much if you go over a bit.
  • bridgeo74
    bridgeo74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I would reserach the database and get a lunch portion.
    You can also ask for unbuttered breadsticks and no dressing on the salad, get light on the side....
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    definitely check out the web site. I am also going to second the notion of picking a different restaurant. A nice local one where they make the meals fresh, and you can request less oil, that kind of thing.
  • Jpinpoint
    Jpinpoint Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You could always go on their website and see what they have and pick ahead.
  • hoeklisab
    Options
    Whatever you get, put half (or 2/3) of it in a to-go box before you start eating. Their portions are huge!
  • StephCoff1969
    Options
    I went there the other night, looked up online what I was going to have.. When I received my meal I told the waiter to bring me a box and boxed up half for the next day... My entire meal was about 700 calories.. Keep in mind that I had dessert and wine also...
  • kellie1055
    kellie1055 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Well Im also vegetarian (for the most part). Id dig into the salad, requesting dressing on the side and no croutons. I would eat all the salad I could hold and then order whatever entree I wanted but ask for a box immediately and box half of it to go.
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    They have their nutritional info on their website, they even have a tab for 'Lighter Italian Fare'.
    http://www.olivegarden.com/Menu/Nutrition/

But also the sugesstion about getting the lunch portion is a smart one, lunch portion is almost the perfect portion size on just about everything they have.
  • Shaysimms
    Shaysimms Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't know if every olive garden is the same or not but I went to the one in my area this weekend and they had added a new (or at least new to me, its been forever since I went to olive garden) New Menu section called "Piccolini Plates" and they had several options of things that were served in very small portions and the price was really great. you could pick 1, 2, or 3 options. with the 3 options the salad/breadsticks were automatically included at no extra charge to your plate but if you wanted 1 and a salad you'd have to order them seperately. I had the cheese tortelloni with prosciutto (about a half cup of pasta) the caprese' something or other (tomatoes, mozerella and garlic toast ...about a 1/2 cup) and grilled chicken speidini (2 skewers of chicken with a sauce on the side) and it was very nice...i had some leftovers since i ordered 3 things but it was a really great option.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Ravioli di Portabello - a full dinner-sized portion is 670 calories and I can never finish it. I always bring almost half of it home. I'm pretty sure it's vegetarian, too.

One of my favorites!
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    It's reasonable in calories (for Olive Garden) and vegetarian. It's what I always get: Ravioli di Portabella
    I also do soup instead of salad because if I can't have all the bells and whistles, I don't want OG salad. Pasta e Fagioli soup.
  • Maxsmommy26
    Options
    They have their nutritional info on their website, they even have a tab for 'Lighter Italian Fare'.
    http://www.olivegarden.com/Menu/Nutrition/

But also the sugesstion about getting the lunch portion is a smart one, lunch portion is almost the perfect portion size on just about everything they have.

do they do lunch portions for dinner? that would help a bunch
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Restaurants to avoid for healthy eating and Olive Garden is on that list. Sorry... so just go and enjoy or pick a different restaurant. I do go there but I only eat the salad with NO dressing and ministroni soup and no bread sticks.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    get the child's cheese ravioli. i believe it's about 300 calories. ask for a calorie menu at the restaurant. and take it easy on the breadsticks (my weakness) :-P
  • miatemple
    miatemple Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree to stay away from this restaurant, but if they still have it, get steamed muscles, and ask they dont use butter but use olive oil instead (similar calorie count but much better for you and has antioxidants!) :} This with a salad and you should be good (steer clear of bread!)
    PS - italian restaurants usually dont mind when you ask for olive oil as a sub ;}
  • kimmiedunne
    kimmiedunne Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the parmesan tilapia and it comes with veggies - it is delicious! Just an idea :)
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    When I go out, I eat what I want.
    Special occasions are made better on a weekly "free day".
    We're going to Olive Garden tomorrow night with our 5 kids....:noway:

That should be an adventure!
    One thing is certain...I will NOT be counting calories.
    You do what you feel led to do....ENJOY!