working out while sick?

Options
what are the thoughts on working out while sick? i know sometimes the body needs to rest and heal and just chill, but i also dont like missing workouts for this reason especially if im really getting into it and in the rhythm!
so, id love to hear what the general consensus is on this!
thanks!

Replies

• Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    The body does need to heal while sick, especially if you have the flu. Like you, I don't like to miss my workouts. This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I came down with a cold and the flu and I had to take time off from my workouts until I was over the flu. The strength and endurance I gained in my workouts was lost and I now have to get it back. I still have a cold, but I workout anyway because I don't feel bad enough to skip my workouts.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. If I feel like I'm coming down with something I generally don't. Or if I'm feeling miserable. I have asthma so colds and stuff can hang around and I develop a really bad cough, and that cuts into my work out a lot. If I'm feeling decent, I will do something really really light, like maybe a walk. Other than that, I generally focus on getting better.
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I run through colds and sinus infections, but not fevers higher than 100.5 because your temperature raises when working out. I also don't work out during GI virus as I'm already dehydrated enough.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Allow your body to recover without adding additional stress it's going to need to devote resources towards. What advice would you give to someone who was sick? I wouldn't want you getting me sick if we went to the same gym.
  • xoyasminxo
    Options
    If you have a common cold and you feel like you can breathe ok, then it is ok to workout. But any kind of flu like symptoms, you absolutely NEED to rest and take time off from working out until you are well. Do your body a service. It is ok to recover from sickness. Many people think they should workout through it when they are actually hurting their body. Listen to your body for a cold. Don't if you have flu or worse.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    what are the thoughts on working out while sick? i know sometimes the body needs to rest and heal and just chill, but i also dont like missing workouts for this reason especially if im really getting into it and in the rhythm!
    thanks!
    Working out while you're sick will keep you sicker longer. When you work out, you temporarily lower your immunity system. Rest and get better.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    thanks!

It depends on how you are sick. If you have a headache and stuffy nose, I would not run or do any hard cardio. It would be miserable and make it worse. If you really wanna workout, I would suggest brisk walking or just a stroll. But I know 'Vicks' makes this great little menthol tube. What you do with it is shake it, open it, and sniff if. It will clear you up! I love it and it is great for the go.

But still, take it easy and let yourself heal. Hope you feel better soon!!! :flowerforyou:

(P.S plus, if you use a gym, it wouldn't be a great idea to go when you are sick. You could get someone else sick, even if you wipe your machines down.)
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you're sick with. If it's anything to do with the chest area or a flu (shortness of breath, coughing, chest congestion) then the answer is a big fat no. If it's something like a minor cold, light to moderate exercise isn't going to kill you. But should be kept at a low level. I got this info from a doctor so please don't think this is my opinion. D:

(lol Seriously, I totally regret posting this after someone above me said pretty much the exact same thing XD)
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I run through colds and sinus infections, but not fevers higher than 100.5 because your temperature raises when working out. I also don't work out during GI virus as I'm already dehydrated enough.

This :-). If I can workout, I will. I may modify what I do, but I still try to get some activity in even if it's not as rigorous as what I'd normally do. But there are times when all you should do is sleep all day!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    In almost all cases, i'm well enough to do something. anything. just to keep the habit going.
    sit ups in bed
    leg lifts in bed
    bridges in bed
    noticing a pattern lol
    they can all be done before going to sleep on a reg day too.

won't burn a lot of calories, but if I can just do something, anything, it keeps the habit going a little longer.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I believe that if you rest and let yourself heal you'll get well sooner and could get back to normal quicker. You can just do something that won't be too difficult like the person above me stated.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Generally, rest while sick ... It will make your illness last a shorter period of time and make your body rest some. Often when ill, you don't feel like eating as much anyway .. of course strict dieting is not good in those times either. Put your fitness goals on hold (unless it is incredibly minor) and get better... SOMETIMES, your fitness level can actually improve as a result of the rest (if it is not too long)...
  • Harlequin16
    Harlequin16 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I only do about a quarter of what i normally do workout wise while i'm sick. And thats only when i've had a good nights sleep and plenty of water :)
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Generally, rest while sick ... It will make your illness last a shorter period of time and make your body rest some. Often when ill, you don't feel like eating as much anyway .. of course strict dieting is not good in those times either. Put your fitness goals on hold (unless it is incredibly minor) and get better... SOMETIMES, your fitness level can actually improve as a result of the rest (if it is not too long)...

Uh, no. I eat like a horse when I'm sick. Unless it's a rare case where I can not leave the bathroom.
    and still I'm very hungry. it's something to do with the drainage. it makes me think/feel I''m very hungry.
    it helps sometimes if I drink as much very hot tea as possible. but not always.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    It's not recommend and it's very dangerous. You can get a lot worse.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I think there are times when you should take a break and times when you should suck it up. I was a bit headachy and crampy before my workout today and actually left the gym feeling better. If its something very mild and most importantly NOT CONTAGIOUS then I would still work out.

You know your body best, you should be able to tell when you need to give it a reprieve.
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Kind of off topic, but I was thinking about it and I used to get colds all the time before I started working out regularly but I think since starting to exercise regularly that I don't get the little bugs as much or maybe I don't notice them over the soreness in my muscles from getting stronger. Really the last time I was sick (last week) it was a contagious GI virus and I would not work out during that. :laugh:
  • jaimelynn01
    Options
    Deedsie~
    in response to your previous comment, i have also noticed that i get sick less often when i am eating whole foods and working out regularily. i also notice that i require less coffee for energy, sleep better and getting up early the next day is easier too. pretty neat! :P