Can I lose 30lbs in 11 months?

Options
2»

Replies

• glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Look at the diet and the exercise. You can lose 30 pounds in a year, but not without changes in diet and exercise.
    You are 40 years younger than me. I lost 45 pounds in less time than that. There are so many on MFP that have done similar or more impressive things with their bodies by will and work.
    If you are supporting 165 pounds on that caloric consumption and exercising 5 days a week it is not working. I am six feet tall and 170 pounds. and old when it is supposed to be "hard to lose weight".
    My point is by all means you can accomplish your goal. I don't know what you are doing now, but I expect you are doing cardio and eating lots of carbohydrates, thinking that eating a low fat diet is the way to go. If this is incorrect my apologies. Try modifying to 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein, start lifting weights 3-4X a week and see what happens. I think you wlll be very pleasantly surprised within 2-3 months. Good luck. You are most welcome in this health oriented community.
  • cbinnd
    cbinnd Posts: 178 Member
    Options

Fruits are great, you said you eat them a lot, but too much is bad. Most fruits have a lot of sugar, specially bananas. Try to cut down on the fruit.

She said she eats one a day... pretty sure that's not the sugar that's hurting her! Don't get me started on all these Atkins people that insist that the sugar and carbs in fruit are the devil.... Fruit is good for you! Its pretty hard to eat too much (excluding juice of course)

Oh man, boy I look dumb haha. I misread that, you're right, a fruit a day won't hurt one bit.

Sorry I ran with that didn't I? LOL pet peeve. I was nodding with everything you said and then I saw the fruit thing and I went off :/
  • kamadon
    Options
    Your body could well have adjusted to your diet. Change up the types of foods and meals you eat and that could be your answer - without actually trying harder. That way you don't take a 'break' and lose ground here. Look for those having success with their weight loss and check their food diaries. I lost 30 lbs in 4-5 months, at 5'6" and 165 lbs when I was 38. but I should say I had never exercised or ate right til then - and joined weight watchers to learn what i needed to know. Some of that has come back on - so I'm back to it before it all comes back on. (And marathon training at 54)
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

just weighing in to agree with those that said you could eat more. You are young and you don't want to do permanent damage to your metabolism.

I am considerably older than you, pre-menopausal and just 1 inch taller, and I lost 13 kilos (28 pounds) since late July 2011, eating about 1500-1700/day plus exercise cals. So, it can be done, and you really don't have to deprive yourself.

I reduced carbs and upped protein - macros are at 50/25/25 - mainly because the same amount of cals in fat and protein keeps me fuller for longer.

I am now maintaining around 1800-2200, depending on my exercise.

My diary is open - it's not perfect (and I just changed the meal headings today so much of the previous days won't make sense), but you can see that I still indulge and enjoy food (I had a lemon tart for dessert last night - because I could)
  • ordnaj3la1
    ordnaj3la1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Fruits are great, you said you eat them a lot, but too much is bad. Most fruits have a lot of sugar, specially bananas. Try to cut down on the fruit.

She said she eats one a day... pretty sure that's not the sugar that's hurting her! Don't get me started on all these Atkins people that insist that the sugar and carbs in fruit are the devil.... Fruit is good for you! Its pretty hard to eat too much (excluding juice of course)

Oh man, boy I look dumb haha. I misread that, you're right, a fruit a day won't hurt one bit.

Sorry I ran with that didn't I? LOL pet peeve. I was nodding with everything you said and then I saw the fruit thing and I went off :/

Haha, it's cool. :)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    5'8" 163....thats about 1600cals/day....you can lose that in about 6 months if you lift heavy and eat right.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12