Fiber...best ways to get it?

Options
I am reading Bob Harpers skinny rules and he recommends 30-50 grams of fiber a day! Yikes! What is your favorite way to get in your fiber?

Replies

• gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    A juice cleanse has nothing on 170g of fiber in a day.
  • 276NoMore
    276NoMore Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    1. All Bran Buds with Psyllium Fibre cereal (lots of fibre in this one - 11 grams in 1/3 cup)
    1/3 cup is filling but if you try 2/3 cup, you will be pretty full for only 160 cals PLUS the cals for milk (make sure you have protein with carbs ie/ peanut butter, egg, etc. to slow down the sugar absorportion and to stay satieted longer).
    Calories 80
    Sodium 200 mg
    Total Fat 1 g
    Potassium 280 mg
    Saturated 0 g
    Total Carbs 22 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g
    Dietary Fiber 11 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g
    Sugars 7 g
    Trans 0 g
    Protein 3 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg

2. ground flaxseed (I have 4 tbsp a day mixed in with yogourt, cereal, anything you want).
    3. not sure if steamed cabbage has high fibre (I think it does) - can be added to soups.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Fruit with the skin
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    A well balanced diet. It shouldn't be too difficult. Whole grains, fruits, etc.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    With 1 quest bar and 2 low carb tortillas and some whole foods, mine's at 61 today.
    (Note, the low carb tortillas would be better described as high-fiber tortillas. They taste pretty normal, and they're not particularly low-carb)
  • _namaste_
    _namaste_ Posts: 246
    Options
    I don't try to eat any amount of fiber specifically but I manage between 27 - 40 + grams per day easily just within my healthy and balanced diet. Fruit is huge on fiber, so are some vegetables, a cereal I love has 8g of fiber for just one serving. Prior to eating as well as I have for the past long while I would eat "fiber one" brownies (110 cal, 5g of fiber) and fiber one bars (100 cal, 5g fiber) when I needed to get more.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    i prefer taking it orally, via foods
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, fruits, veggies, Kellogg's Fiber Plus bars
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    In a fruit smoothie every morning. Oats. Veggies.
  • kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Whole grains, fruit, some cereals, beans, veggies
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    La Tortilla Factory tortillas are a fiber bomb. 7 grams each, and 50 calories.

Avocado has a good bit of fiber.

I got 34 grams today and didn't even think about it. My diary's always open if you want to give it a look.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the question
  • kathykatkitty
    kathykatkitty Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Beans
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Eat 2 bananas a day and a cup of broccoli and you will poop wonderfully! Eat more fruit and grains and legumes, and even more so! Poop on!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I am reading Bob Harpers skinny rules and he recommends 30-50 grams of fiber a day! Yikes! What is your favorite way to get in your fiber?

30g is easy, 50g not so much depending on your daily calorie intake. Just eat nine servings of low sugar fruits and non starchy vegetables, topped up with nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, cocoa powder, coconut flour, wheatgerm. As many fats as possible as wholefoods - so avocado, olives, block creamed coconut rather than the oils. Don't waste calories on white refined carbs or fruit juice.
  • FitinHonau
    FitinHonau Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Flaxseed or linseed what ever you want to call it, fruit with skin, oats are one of my favourites!
  • carolineire
    carolineire Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Um, where's a good source for finding out fiber content of foods? Is there a section on here?

Thanks!
  • coderlaury
    coderlaury Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you've got your calories, protein, and sugars for the day, try a tablespoon of Metamucil, or fiber tabs. There's a fiber tab out there that tastes like sweet-tarts.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Best ways? Citrus fruits are loaded with it if eaten intact (less the rind of course)... Also, beans are good but a bit gasy. Honestly, I start each day with either a fiber one or a Kellogs FIber +... I just started this practice a couple of months ago and I find that it really helps my older digestive tract keep moving properly. I would not necessarily say it is the BEST way... but it is a tasty way and ensures I get at least 35% of my RDA... That being said, I usually average about 30-35 grams I would say ... 50 seems a bit excessive but.. .I am no expert.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Um, where's a good source for finding out fiber content of foods? Is there a section on here?

Thanks!

Go under settings and you can add the fiber reading on to your diary.