Wishing, motivated, determined, obsessive?

Options
ccpowers
ccpowers Posts: 203 Member
What is the difference? Mostly between determined and obsessive. And how does one get from wishing to motivated to successful without becoming obsessive?

Replies

• tynger112
    tynger112 Posts: 351
    Options
    I think that obsession is is the gateway to success. and like anything else it can get out of hand if you fail to recognize it
  • JoshT360
    Options
    Determined: You do whatever it take achieve your goal.
    Obsessive: When you can't stop doing something when its bad for you health.

Make realistic goals, that you can achieve.
  • JoshT360
    Options
    I think that obsession is is the gateway to success. and like anything else it can get out of hand if you fail to recognize it

I don't see how "obsession is is the gateway to success". I think any obsession is bad. unless you could show me a good one.
  • horsewhisper91
    horsewhisper91 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Well on a similar note between the two..it take practice.

Difference, determined...you're willing to do what it take to achieve that goal. But still keeping in mind what might be going over the edge.

Obsessive, just plain ignoring everything else but what you think matters.

I'd honestly just be focused. When you practice what you want to reach, you will tend to get into a habit. But that all depends on how bad you want it that will show the affects.
  • tynger112
    tynger112 Posts: 351
    Options
    Leaving out the negative connotation of the word, there is nothing wrong with letting your mind be dominated by positive. Some people could think of the obsession of a heathy diet as a bad thing. When in actuality you are all consumed with feeding your body whats good for it instead of something on the dollar menu.
  • ccpowers
    Options
    See my issues? Determined and obsessed, such a dangerous fine line.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I think if it negatively affects other aspects of your life, you have a problem.
  • ccpowers
    Options
    I think if it negatively affects other aspects of your life, you have a problem.

Where is the line when it becomes negative? Watching food intake? Counting calories? Running or working out because you enjoy it? When enjoying it becomes all you want to do?
  • 101hellokittys
    Options

I don't see how "obsession is is the gateway to success". I think any obsession is bad. unless you could show me a good one.

i am obsessed with breathing.
    bad?
  • edennew
    edennew Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Let's take the example of weighing oneself.

Determined- "I am going to weigh at the same time each morning and understand that my weight can fluctuate daily. If it goes up, I will persevere and continue my journey. It will come down eventually."

Obsessive- "I weighed 5 minutes ago, but then I just pooped. Gonna weigh myself again and see if it's less. I wonder if I weigh less now that I drank some green tea and peed a lot. Did those cashews I just ate make me gain? Gotta weigh."

There's my take on the whole deal, and I've been there :)
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Determined: You do whatever it take achieve your goal.
    Obsessive: When you can't stop doing something when its bad for you health.

Make realistic goals, that you can achieve.

This
  • Birdnicaj
    Options
    Let's take the example of weighing oneself.

Determined- "I am going to weigh at the same time each morning and understand that my weight can fluctuate daily. If it goes up, I will persevere and continue my journey. It will come down eventually."

Obsessive- "I weighed 5 minutes ago, but then I just pooped. Gonna weigh myself again and see if it's less. I wonder if I weigh less now that I drank some green tea and peed a lot. Did those cashews I just ate make me gain? Gotta weigh."

There's my take on the whole deal, and I've been there :)

Wowzer...think that might be me!!!
  • ccpowers
    Options
    But those who are obsessive are the ones who reach their goals? Does it mean that maybe it is ok to be obsessed for a little while? To a point?
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options

Where is the line when it becomes negative? Watching food intake? Counting calories? Running or working out because you enjoy it? When enjoying it becomes all you want to do?

Uhhhhhh. If you personally can't decipher between the two, it's become a negative.