elliptical ??

Options
Thinking of getting an elliptical...good idea..bad idea...would like to hear pros and cons please

Replies

• blackmagic10
    blackmagic10 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    uh............ I use to do it I like it because treadmill hurts my knees
  • jahall76
    jahall76 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    As far as cardio machines, it's my favorite to use at the gym. Really great on the knees. Great calorie burner!
  • JanelleSonnenberg1
    JanelleSonnenberg1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    :) I LOVE mine..so much easier on the knees. :). Great workout, too! 30 minutes = above 300 calories :)
  • gwenkathleen
    Options
    They are great.... but once I mustered up the courage to go on the treadmill instead, I started seeing my waist get thinner. Ellipticals are good, don't get me wrong, but walking, running, jogging... all work your body harder because an elliptical actually helps you move. When it's just you walking or jogging, it's only your body doing the work (plus any caffeine you've had ;)
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is the only cardio I use at the gym...It worked for my me. I was too chubby to comfortably use the treadmill when I started at the gym, so I used the elliptical, and I've been happy with it. I think it's a great cardio machine. The best cardio, however, in my opinion, is my Fuji Absolute 1.4 bicycle which I can't wait to ride on Saturday.
  • HeatherStorey
    HeatherStorey Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical machine. Low Impact and you burn way more calories than a treadmill.
  • punkin_p
    Options
    Definitely try one before buying if you haven't already. I avoid them at all costs as I find the gait long and awkward, possibly because I'm on the short side. I was never able to get an intense workout because if I went too fast I felt like I was going to go flying off and hurt myself. I'm focusing on lifting right now, but I always use a stationary bike for my warm-up in preference to the other options. But I know some people really like them.
    I have heard that the lack of impact means that running on an elliptical does nothing to increase bone density, so you would need to find other ways to do that. Seems plausible but maybe someone more knowledgeable can comment.
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am extremely uncoordinated and anytime I ever got on an elliptical I felt uncomfortable, burns more calories but its a lot more "scary". I am a treadmill kind of girl!
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Love it. Burns more calories than the treadmill too!
  • gwenkathleen
    Options
    It all depends on how hard you work on each machine. You work more muscles on a treadmill I believe. Like I said- a treadmill does none of the work for you- but an elliptical does (notice how it helps move your legs/arms?)....

But yes, you can burn a ton of calories on an elliptical, and it's more comfortable and better on the knees than a treadmill. If you use a higher resistance you can burn a lot, just like you'd have to jog and/or use an incline on a treadmill to burn a lot. (For reference, I only go about 30-40min at a time on either.)
  • Crickett32189
    Options
    The elliptical really seems to give me and overall workout, and believe me it will make you sweat. My advice is for you to try it at your local gym just to make sure that you can handle it. It is a whole lot diiferent then using the treadmill.. Best of luck to you.
  • tutti777
    Options
    I love the elliptical machine but had to stop using it because of knee pain. I just had surgery on both knees. My knees had been giving me some trouble but once I started using the elliptical machine, the pain became unbearable. My orthopedic doctor told me to stay off the machine and stick with regular walking. My sister had the same problem.
  • fitnessgal1985
    fitnessgal1985 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the elliptical. Especially since treadmills make my calves burn really fast. Burn a lot of calories and you dont feel sore the next day. Most of the weight I lost has been thanks to the elliptical.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Loooooveee the elliptical!! There are a couple different types though with different "feels" to them. I don't know the specifics or what to call them, but the brand I like is Precor. It's very smooth, almost like gliding or standing up riding a bike. I don't know how to describe it. They are kind of expensive, but I'm seriously considering getting one for my house. I love it that much. The other type is very clunky. Makes you feel like you are bobbing up and down or something. Kind of "awkward" feeling. Like I said, I can't really describe it. You have to experience what I am talking about. Go out and try some different kinds and you will see what I mean.
  • altorock13
    altorock13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical and we just bought a used one for Christmas. Don't get one new! Too much money and you can find plenty of people who are willing to get rid of them on craigslist. Ours at a store new would have been 1500 before tax. We paid 400, plus they delivered. They needed to get rid of it quickly because of a military transfer and we were able to get it for below the asking price. Do try it out first though, because there are different machines with different strides, some wobble, some make noises that may drive you nuts.
  • crystallou2u1
    Options
    wow thats awesome.. i have a bad knee so i think this might be better for me ..i have tried one before and do like it better than the tredmill but I want the one thats going to give me the best workout..thank you everyone
  • melanyrae62
    Options
    I have some serious back problems. Unable to walk far, definitely unable to run/jog, but I CAN do the elliptical without jarring my joints. One hour is 612 calories - I work up a good sweat and it feels good.

As far as purchasing your own equipment vs gym, both have their pros and cons. I had a stairstepper and used it religiously for a couple years, so it can work just fine, depending on what motivates you. Tunes/t.v. help.
  • oneworkoutatatime
    Options
    great idea, I prefer the Precor CrossRamp ellipticals..
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    A Precor Elliptical is a glorious thing...... enough said :laugh:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical machine. Low Impact and you burn way more calories than a treadmill.

This. For some reason, I can work way harder on the elliptical than the treadmill.