Going on a cruise -- tips to minimize damage

Options
Hi All. I'm going on my very first cruise soon. I am super excited. Headed to the Caribbean. While I am on vacation, I plan to enjoy myself, and I do not plan to restrict myself (too much).

My goal --- to minimize the damage.

How much did you gain while on vacation or on a cruise? Is it possible to NOT gain? Any suggestions on how to have fun yet not gain too much??? People tell me that all you do is eat and eat and eat some more......24 hour room service --- 24 hour pizza buffet....YIKES!

Replies

• issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I actually lost weight on my last cruise. A few suggestions:

Always take the stairs unless your aren't able;
    Spend your free time walking the track around the deck;
    Use the work-out room;
    Make healthy choices at the buffets;
    Choose the sugar free or fruit dessert options;
    Try to order from a menu instead of using the buffet when there's a choice;
    Skip the midnight buffet.

Have a great time!!
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    I just went on a carribean cruise a couple months ago. My first one.

Pack protein bars , as long as they are manufacture sealed you are allowed to take them.
    Drink lots of water - help counter act the sodium content in the buffet foods and any alcohol you consume
    Definately take the stairs and used the track on the deck. I ran a couple nights on my cruise and it helped some because I did over indulge at the desert tables.
    Keep focused ...is it more important to have multiple deserts throughout the day or to not feel like a cow in your swim suit on the deck? :)
    You could also try looking up the calorie count of some foods that may be served as motivation to avoid certain things like the 24/7 pizza buffet

Most of all - HAVE FUN!
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I agree with the stairs.. On our Alaskan cruise the food was so bad, I didn't gain a pound. There will be a buffet with lots of fruits and salads to pick from..

Walk around the decks and enjoy the views.
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    P.S. I gained 10 lbs in 2 weeks (but i had LOADS of retention and lost 7 of it my first week back) My body didnt take well to all the junk I ate. It only took a few weeks with minmal effort to be back down to my pre cruise weight.
  • sissy56
    sissy56 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Really taste the food, skip the stuff that's not so good, and enjoy what you like. The cruise I went on had tons of food, but most of it wasn't very good.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    1. Stay on track up until you leave. ENJOY, and don't worry about tracking while you're gone.

2. Work out daily and choose active excursions (Hiking, Biking, etc. rather than laying on the beach).

3. Eat what you want when you're hungry without stuffing yourself, and when you're not, don't eat it just because it's there or because it's "meal time." With all of the options available, you can have something you'll really enjoy any time hunger strikes.

4. If you see something you like when you're not hungry, plan for it the next meal or day, so you look forward to it and enjoy it rather than feeling bloated and guilty after overindulging.

5. When you get home,get back into your routine immediately to avoid the lingering "vacation mode" that can really derail you.
  • BarrettCanDoIt2012
    BarrettCanDoIt2012 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Lots of great tips given. I went on the Disney cruise this past March and my kids and I had a blast. The Ship has a gym and Dancing all night at no extra cost. You have fun just walking the Length of the ship. The food choices were endless but lots of good choices along with the bad. Unless you are planning on going on another cruise soon. I say no regrets...don't go crazy... just no regrets and enjoy your cruise.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I actually lost weight on my last cruise. A few suggestions:

Always take the stairs unless your aren't able;
    Spend your free time walking the track around the deck;
    Use the work-out room;
    Make healthy choices at the buffets;
    Choose the sugar free or fruit dessert options;
    Try to order from a menu instead of using the buffet when there's a choice;
    Skip the midnight buffet.

Have a great time!!

Do absolutely none of this. Don't even think about working out or watching what you eat. There are so many things you can do that you cannot do at home, go do ALL of them. Spend your time having fun and eat until you want to pass out. Even if you kill yourself all week, you may gain a few pounds that will melt off when you return.

Eat, drink, and have a blast.
  • twinmom430
    twinmom430 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I love cruising!! I eat a sensible breakfast and lunch and go crazy at dinner.....I go to the gym and take the stairs.....and I don't drink my calories.....luckily I'm not much of a drinker so I don't waste the calories on alcohol. I usually will gain a few lbs in water weight...but lose it quickly when I get back home. Good luck and enjoy yourself. :)
  • mrsmichellewilson
    mrsmichellewilson Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I hit the salad bar most of the time....and lots of walking !
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain on my cruise last year! Well I might have gained 3 lbs, but no more. i ran on the deck everyday for about 45 mins. If you have lost a lot of weight, I can't imagine that you would go hog wild. However if you haven't had much success than what the heck, you can start all over when you get back. i didn't want to go backwards.

Basil
  • USMC1968
    USMC1968 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Have a great time!!
    [/quote]

Do absolutely none of this. Don't even think about working out or watching what you eat. There are so many things you can do that you cannot do at home, go do ALL of them. Spend your time having fun and eat until you want to pass out. Even if you kill yourself all week, you may gain a few pounds that will melt off when you return.

Eat, drink, and have a blast.
    [/quote]

This...
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I gained so much on my last cruise.
    Choose a drink that is low calories, like a splash of juice with club soda and vodka or something.... i drank lava flows... im pretty sure they are close to 200cals a drink. :(
    Keep hydrated, drink a lot of water, have a bottle with you at all times.
    Walk around outside (if it a warm cruise) on the outside a couple times a night.. get to see the views, and I was surpirsed actually how many people did this as well. Sometimes they even have lines for you to follow.
    Good luck!
  • whitesox56
    Options
    We vacationed in Los Angeles a few years ago, went on a 7 day cruise to Mexico. and then 3 days in Vegas and gained 4 lbs.

The cruise ship (well Carnival did) should have an exercise room. I basically spent an hour and a half in there every day.

Not going to lie, I ate like crap. L.A. kills me because of three places -- In N Out Burger, Jack in the Box and Pink's Hot Dogs, not to mention Dodger Dogs at Dodger Stadium.

The cruise killed me too because there is food all around. Now this is right after the time when I dropped close to 90 lbs. I am not much of an alcohol drinker, but a big Pepsi drinker. I laid off on the soda (at over 300 calories a drink I'd rather have a good burger than drink my calories) So if you drink soda, I'd probably recommend laying off the soda. You'll save money and calories.

Vegas killed me too. Buffets all around (although my stomach cannot hold the same amount of food it once did) are killers.

Last year when I was in L.A. and Vegas I basically said f**k it didn't work out at all and gained like 2 lbs in a week. Stuff happens. Vacations are meant to enjoy yourself. I dropped it when I went back to my normal lifestyle at home.

Enjoy yourself and don't worry about it.. a week of bad eating won't kill you :) But if you want to be good and not be bad like I was LOL you can..

1. Drink lots of water.
    2. Limit your alcohol and soda.
    3. Order from the menu instead of the buffet when possible.
    4. Use the stairs when you can.
    5. Use the ship's exercise room (most ships have outdoor running/walking tracks which are really neat)

Good luck!

Mike
  • msqdpie
    msqdpie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I went in Aug last year, I gained at least 10 lbs and 10 more Post Cruise, I was not Prepaired and would have loved to had the forsight of asking MFP as your doing now, Things I would have done Different, Use the Salad Bar, You will Be on A Floating Troft! Stay away from the Desert Bar, Walk Alot, and There is a Gym on board, Use the Gym. The boat I was on had a Track on it. Putt Putt Golf, I Had a Blast as I hope anyone who takes a Cruise does,....... You can take Water in your Bags, Wish I would of know that......Hope You have the time of your Life!
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of the wonderful suggestions! I am really looking forward to this --- this is the first vacation my husband and I have taken since our honeymoon (11 years ago). We are leaving the kids at home :)

Can't wait.....
  • hutchy100
    hutchy100 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Go and have a good time you cant diet all the time and within a month you will lose it just getting back into a normal rountine
  • jha1223
    jha1223 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you want at the end of the cruise. If you are already setting yourself up know, 'Hey, you are going to have to work your butt off to lose the weight you gain" then go hog wild. If you absolutely love working out, then keep working out on the cruise and do what you want with food.

I went to Prague a few years ago and spent five days eating tons of food and drinking a ridiculous amount of beer. But, I also drank a boat load of water and walked everywhere. I came back a little bloated, but lost the weight in two weeks.

If you want to eat like crazy, make sure the first place you go when you get back is to the grocery store to stock up on fresh, healthy food so you can jump right back in to the swing of things.

Have fun!
  • callmenam
    callmenam Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I live on a cruise ship and it is difficult not to gain especially on sea days where you are not out and doing. Hit the gym most days, plan for a couple of heavy nights and if you are booking a speciality restaurant for dinner then make really good choices during the day so you can indulge with the dinner. Also, just because the 'in-between' meals like afternoon tea are available every day doesn't mean you need it on top of your normal meals everyday. I am actually astounded at the amount that some people think is ok to eat on a ship. I am managing to maintain weight only because I eat (OK, drink) too much on board
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on a cruise later this year. My plan is to eat all the things, work out as I can, and do damage control when I get home.