Combining Low Carb & Calorie Counting

Options
So I have decided to reduce the amount of CARBS (150 or less) that I eat and eat between 1200-1500 CALS per day. Has anyone else had success doing this?? This is week 1 for me and so far 3.8 lbs since Tuesday. I do feel somewhat hungry before I go to bed but I am going to start replacing the urge with something to drink such as water to help flush my system.

Replies

• nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have lost quite a bit. I try to stay between 1200-1400 calories and under 30 carbs! If I have to mess up on one, it's going to be calories. Low carb makes me not hungry and not have crazy cravings! Good luck!

Edit to say: You can add me if you'd like. I'm a pretty good cheerleader!:flowerforyou:
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Yes, huge success. This is a good read and explains why 100g is a great number to shoot for:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/one_hundred_gram_carb_cure

And if you want to maintain lean muscle (as much as possible) while dieting, you do need to get more of your calories from protein anyway (it explains it about mid article) not to mention "The body would much rather store amino acids than oxidize them as protein oxidation yields less net ATP produced per amino acid when compared to fat or carbohydrates. Therefore, it can be stated that dietary protein has a thermogenic effect on the body." so it's even better for weight loss:

http://www.simplyshredded.com/layne-norton-the-most-effective-cutting-diet.html
  • Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I still calorie count even though I don't eat a lot of carbs. I think no matter what the plan you will gain weight if you consistently eat above your TDEE.

I'm usually under 50g carbs/day and my calorie goal is 1500 per day.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Instead of focusing on exact amount of grams, you may want to use the nifty tool here and just change your percentages for fat, protein and carbs. Also, keep in mind you still have to be mindful of the carbs you do choose. oatmeal packs a bigger punch than a donut;-)