expiriences with "slim pasta"

Options
wandering through the health food aisle at woolworths i noticed a product called "slim pasta"
http://slimpasta.com.au/

I am wondering if anyone has tried this? it doesnt truly seem like it could be that healthy, almost 100% fiber.. would that not be like a natural laxative or promote stomach upset?

my boyfriend has requested a pasta dish and he is trying to avoid carbs as he is cutting and trying to keep sugar balanced. i thought that this could be a great surprise!

but i dont know, what do you guys think? would you try this food?

cheers!

Replies

• Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    it's the same as shirataki. a lot of people eat them. I haven't tried them yet but alot of my friends love them!
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried them, but I'd love to know how they turn out (if you try them). Fiber doesn't actually work like a natural laxative. And I'm certain that it would take A LOT of fiber to overdo it. Some googling might turn up a safe upper limit, but I get around 40 grams a day, and I've had it a little higher too. I actually need that much, but I don't think that's typical.
  • 2013Alli
    2013Alli Posts: 30
    Options
    I've just ordered some to try from www.zeronoodles.com

There seems to be several companies selling this, with different names. Looking forward to trying them :-)
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I use it all the time now instead of pasta. It smells a little funny when you first open it, but it tastes great. I have never given it to my Italian husband, but he asked to try it last week and now wants that instead of the real stuff. Go figure!

Donna
  • rainforestboots
    rainforestboots Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I tried it. It does smell a little odd at first, then you heat it up and the texture is a little... squeeshy? I tried it with my favourite spinach and ricotta pasta sauce and it wasn't terrible/wasn't great. It made my stomach feel a bit strange afterwards :/
    I think I will try it again but probably in a Stir-Fry or something instead of noodles. It was really very filling for so few calories and didn't taste like much. I think if I could find the right way to cook it...
  • pinkminy
    pinkminy Posts: 286
    Options
    I have used it a few times and i find it quite nice and its so low cal its gr8,
  • avishaggy101
    avishaggy101 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ive had the slim noodle and got pretty major stomach upsets. Was stuck in the gym toilet for a good 20 minutes :/
    But I have a rather sensitive stomach aswell as being lactose intolerant (it says its dairy free though...)
    In regards to taste and texture - it has a strange, rubbery texture but tastes pretty normal so its easy to eat
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I use the tofu noodles (same thing). They're pretty good... only now I'm eating more so don't need them.
  • missmiller1
    missmiller1 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My husband and I like to cook spaghetti squash to replace noodles. They have a neutral flavor so they pick up the flavor of whatever you serve it with. We tried the shiritake noodles and didn't care for them.
  • AussieTrainer
    Options
    I love shirataki noodles. They taste a little funny. You need to boil them as per the directions and then pat them very dry. I got used to the taste very quick. Especially since it means I can have a whole plate of pasta w any kind of creamy sauce and even lots of chicken and veg and it won't break the bank.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    They have been eaten in Asia for generations so no the fibre shouldn't be an issue. Be sure to rinse them before use and try to buy then in Asian supermarkets because it's usually cheaper there.
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I went looking for tofu noodles and couldn't find them. Where do you find them?
  • Karlo_D
    Karlo_D Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There are many varieties of this food and in general they come in the block or noodle form. The two primary types of shiratake noodle I have seen are the asian variety, usually clear, and the "mock pasta" version, which are opaque and resemble western and european pastas.

The problem that most people have with this is learning how to cook it. There are a number of Asian style recipes out there for the clear noodles. I usually just use pasta sauce with the mock pasta type.

As far as the indigestion goes, these noodles are made mostly of fiber which your gut bacteria love to eat, since you cannot digest. The beneficial gut bacteria sometimes produce gas, but lots of people find that they get less gas from it after time.
  • lilylux
    lilylux Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Wow they sound great. I think I will check out the local Asian grocery tomorrow and see if I can find them here in New Zealand.