Nauseous

Options
Has anyone experienced headaches or a nauseous feeling when starting your diet?

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    [Insert obligatory statement of "It's not a diet; it's a lifestyle change."]

I would guess that you are most likely either not eating enough, or you made some sort of drastic change to your diet. Could you give us a little more info about what you are eating (you can also make your diary public so we can see it)?
  • klrothfork
    klrothfork Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I made it public so you could see it.
  • cyberiarob
    cyberiarob Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I glanced through your diary... Is it fair to assume that it's not the caffeine causing your problems? When I cut my calories down that low, I had to ease up on my caffeine intake - and I normally have a huge caffeine tolerance.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    The one thing that really struck me about your diary is that you eat very little protein some days. You might also want to look at your sodium intake to make sure nothing weird is going on there.

Also, do you have a sense how many calories you were eating daily before MFP? How quickly are you trying to lose weight?
  • LisaWeir74
    LisaWeir74 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Maybe eat more protein especially for breakfast.....I would pass out if all I had was coffee. Try an egg or some lean meat. I think you are taking in a lot of empty calories.
  • klrothfork
    Options
    I was a stress eater and I feel like I'm starving now working on this. I'm assuming that I was taking in probably close to 2000.
  • klrothfork
    Options
    That's a really good idea about the egg. The other thing is though is I'm not much of a breakfast eater. That's why I have my coffee in the morning.
  • patrickkelly69
    Options
    Hi there

I think you really need to concentrate on eating more healthy foods (and less processed foods) which will be more filling and contain less calories. Try wholegran bread and brown rice (not white), salad and meat sandwiches for lunch, veges and meat or fish for dinner, fruit for mid morning and afternoon snack. You can have a look at my diary - you will be suprised how much you can eat for less calories. You might feel better getting more vitamins and minerals. Good luck !!!!
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    No. And headaches or nausea are not good signs. Cutting caffeine too quickly, too little of some vitamins (especially some of the B vitamins, copper or magnesium) and some artificial sweeteners can cause headaches. For me some artificial sweeteners will also cause mild nausea and just a general queasiness and ache-iness. I suppose a very abrupt change in diet could also cause some symptoms. Good luck figuring it out.

P.S. Dehydration can also cause these symptoms. Are you drinking enough?
    P.P.S. Check out http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/711823-breakfast-quiche-muffins-74-calories-each
  • kimbow
    kimbow Posts: 1
    Options
    When I went off sugar I felt like I had the flu. Body aches.nausea, headache, & wiped out. It lasted almost 2 weeks. I'm a comfort/stress eater and definitely a chocoholic.Took a while to get energy. Drink a lot of water & cut your caffeine down slowly. If you follow the diabetic diet it keeps your sugar levels even = 3 meals a day , 2 snacks, etc. It's more work eating fresh food but you feel better faster than premade/pkg food. Hope you start feeling better soon!
  • Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Aspartame and other artificial sweeteners give me extremely bad headaches and nausea. Maybe cut out the diet soda, even though it's 0 calories, it is really bad for you. Not sure that's what's causing it, just personal experience =)
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I felt a bit nauseous the first couple of days.. it started going away pretty quickly though:)
  • klrothfork
    Options
    Thank you for all your help! I believe that a little bit of everything is probably why I'm feeling the way I am.
  • Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your help! I believe that a little bit of everything is probably why I'm feeling the way I am.

It takes a while to tweak everything. You slowly have to add things and eliminate things. Then when you take exercise into account there is even more, but eventually it becomes second nature. Keep it up! =)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Aspartame and other artificial sweeteners give me extremely bad headaches and nausea. Maybe cut out the diet soda, even though it's 0 calories, it is really bad for you. Not sure that's what's causing it, just personal experience =)

Aspartame does that to me too but I have to build up to the bad side effects. However cutting out sugar and processed food cold turkey gave me the worst headache I'd ever had in my life.

Cutting out all caffeine too fast could probably do it also.