Embarrassed

Options
I have had a few days in the past two weeks where my calories were fairly below my goal, I'm talking total eaten in the 800-900 calorie range, a few of those days I was sick and didn't eat much. I know it's a very bad habit to form and I'd just like to put it out there that my intention is certainly not a starvation level calorie deficit.

I've been having difficulty for a number of reasons, the main one being I've never been particularly conscious about what kind of food I was eating or how frequently, now that I'm really concentrating on eating healthier my appetite has decreased a lot. I find myself satisfied with very small meals.

I think what I need to learn how to have small meals that are both healthy and will give me enough calories. I'm not afraid to hit my goal, I'm not even afraid to exceed it (though I'd like to be as close to it as possible).I just literally don't know how to eat enough calories while only eating healthy things!

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated because I fear I may be mistaken for someone practicing dangerous or unhealthy dieting. I'm just starting to learn how to do this properly!

Thank you in advance to anyone and everyone willing to help me get on the right track with my diet!

Replies

• freecharlie2
    freecharlie2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When I am sick I don't eat much.

Check the other goals other than just calories. Are you getting enough protein? Vitamin A, C, Calcium? Carbs?
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Add nuts avocados etc that are good and higher in calories
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Eat calorie dense food, nuts, nut butter, avacado, full fat cheese/dairy, dried fruits, beef occasionally. It can be done.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed--it takes a while to find a good balance between too many/too few calories. Don't worry too much about days when you are sick. Start with a few small changes. If you add a couple healthy fat-foods like avocados or nuts...you will increase your calories pretty quickly. If you eat dairy products, you can try fuller-fat items instead of going for low or no-fat.
  • emeraldbat
    Options
    I know I'm not quite getting my vitamin c, calcium hasn't been much of a problem though.
  • nornas42
    nornas42 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I hear you -- I've been sick for a week and today was the first day I hate all 3 meals. The past six I've had 1 meal a day because I just couldn't eat more.

Three meals today felt awesome, but even then it felt like a lot as my stomach was used to eating so little over the past several days.

Some days I have a hard time making my calories, and that's when I let myself indulge in something extra special, like extra piece of chocolate, or chocolate milk, or Starbucks chai tea... all the things I can't normally fit in my day, but I do enjoy them in my life. Sometimes you just have to eat something higher calorie to give your body the energy. It's better to eat healthier foods, of course. Something like peanut butter, fruit, or yogurt would be healthy options that may have some higher calorie choices. Don't be afraid to indulge!
  • emeraldbat
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed--it takes a while to find a good balance between too many/too few calories. Don't worry too much about days when you are sick. Start with a few small changes. If you add a couple healthy fat-foods like avocados or nuts...you will increase your calories pretty quickly. If you eat dairy products, you can try fuller-fat items instead of going for low or no-fat.

I really appreciate the suggestion, I think I just got so excited about my new diet that I assumed everything had to be low fat or non-fat! Learning how untrue that is!
  • patrickkelly69
    Options
    Try wholegran bread and brown rice (not white), salad and meat sandwiches for lunch, veges and meat or fish for dinner, fruit for mid morning and afternoon snack. You can have a look at my diary - you will be suprised how much you can eat for less calories. You might feel better getting more vitamins and minerals. Good luck !!!!
  • emeraldbat
    Options
    Try wholegran bread and brown rice (not white), salad and meat sandwiches for lunch, veges and meat or fish for dinner, fruit for mid morning and afternoon snack. You can have a look at my diary - you will be suprised how much you can eat for less calories. You might feel better getting more vitamins and minerals. Good luck !!!!

I just bought some multi-grain and some wholegrain bread (LOVING IT), bought lunch meat, and a couple fancy cheeses for a little indulgence here and there, along with some triscuits.

I imagine I won't be sick near as often once I get more fantastic vitamins into my system.
  • vivek85
    vivek85 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I know I'm not quite getting my vitamin c, calcium hasn't been much of a problem though.

Vitamin C - 1 KIWI fruit (100 grams will give 155% vitamin C for a day!!!) .
  • emeraldbat
    Options
    WOW! Really?! I love kiwi. Maybe a daily fruit salad is in order with breakfast :D
  • vivek85
    vivek85 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    WOW! Really?! I love kiwi. Maybe a daily fruit salad is in order with breakfast :D

Yes Really, such a small fruit . My eyeballs almost came out when I learned about it!!
  • Nina2503
    Nina2503 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    hope you are feeling better now, try and take a look at your total calorie goal and break it down into several small meals a day, It will be easier to build up your calorie intake than perhaps facing 3 larger meals, A small handful of nuts, some Greek yoghurt that kind of thing, both good things to eat. Its normal when you feel poorly not to want to eat as much.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I never eat much when I get sick either.

As for the long-term loss of appetite, I definitely have a problem with this. I was on a yo-yo diet for a year then on a calorie deficit for 6 months after, and my sense of hunger is very messed up now. I rarely get hungry, even if I haven't eaten all day.

Being on an eating schedule helps a lot as does incorporating calorie-dense foods more often. Chronic undereating can be very detrimental long-term, so definitely try to find a way to get in the calories you need to function well.

Adding in a few calories from switching to full-fat versions instead of low-calorie stuff will help a lot. Examples would be full fat yogurt, butter in lieu of margarine, etc. Foods like nuts will also help you get in a few more calories without resorting to junk foods. Just fit it into your calorie budget, and you're good to go.
  • SloRunner25
    SloRunner25 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Nothing to be embarrassed about and it's wonderful you're reaching out for help and suggestions in order to eat more but in a healthy way! While I don't have issues getting the calories, I have issues getting them early enough in the day. I'm just not horribly hungry in the mornings and early afternoon and then evening comes and WHAM, I want to eat everything in sight. So what I'm trying to do is make sure my breakfast is near 400 calories, lunch is 500-700, and dinner 500-700. Whatever else I try to get in as snacks in between meals.

My healthy meal building staples:
    - Organic yogurt (I'm in LOVE with Stonyfield french vanilla yogurt!)
    - Greek salad (basically mix tomatoes, green pepper, green olives, red onion, cucumber with some oregano and splash of olive oil and a little bit of feta sprinkled on top...just delicious!)
    - Raisin bran and great grains (they are high in sugar though so if that's something you're watching just be careful with those)
    - Egg white omelettes with veggies and or cheese of choice
    - Veggies and hummus
    - Bananas (to help get enough potassium since I'm prone to muscle cramps and spasms) & apples (for fiber and they are just delicious)
    - Triscuits (i prefer low sodium or rosemary flavor) with some kind of cheese
    - Raisins are a calorie dense snack (130 calories per serving and good for digestion!)
    - Gold standard 100% whey protein powder (I'm doing a lot more weights and muscle building and this helps ease my muscle soreness at the end of the day)

I hope some of this helps! You're not alone. Finding a healthy diet is hard and I'm still experimenting with eating frequency, when to eat, how much to eat, calories, etc. We can do it!! Hang in there! :flowerforyou:
  • emeraldbat
    Options
    I've received so many great responses, thank you all for the excellent advice. The stress from this resulted in me backsliding yesterday and eating very unhealthy foods, however I'm ready to get back on track!
  • Royalsbatwench
    Royalsbatwench Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've received so many great responses, thank you all for the excellent advice. The stress from this resulted in me backsliding yesterday and eating very unhealthy foods, however I'm ready to get back on track!

Great attitude! There will be slip ups and backslides but you can recover. Don't let a meal ruin your day/week.
    I notice when I'm eating healthier and drinking my water I struggle getting my calories in. So you are in good company. And if I'm sick I can't eat. Obviously I'm not sick often :wink: :laugh:
  • marie5282
    marie5282 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hope you're feeling better!

I deal with the same thing as you...not really feeling hungry, so why should I eat then? We're taught so many times that if you're not hungry, then you shouldn't eat and that in order to lose weight, you need to eat less. It's hard to lose that mindset and convince your body otherwise. I've only been doing MFP for just under a week, and am under my calorie goals by about 200 a day it seems...and that's with enjoying my little extras (chocolate being the biggest one!) I'm having no problem getting in my nutrients and vitamins, but eating all of the extra fiber from more fruits and veggies, plus drinking more water and no pop/soda, I'm just not feeling as hungry anymore.

I'm finding though that I'm a happier person when I reach closer to the goals set by MFP, and the way that I'm starting to do that more is by using regular salad dressing (not low-fat or non-fat), 2% fat Greek yogurt instead of 0%, and healthy oils like EVOO to roast some of my veggies.

Loving everyone else's responses to this! Some great suggestions and great support! Good luck!
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Eat calorie dense food, nuts, nut butter, avacado, full fat cheese/dairy, dried fruits, beef occasionally. It can be done.
    that
    and also don't think in negative terms about food, it's no cause of embarrassment ,you have localized the problem and now small changes will bring you near the ideal.good luck
  • sveltekitty
    Options
    Echoing pretty much what everyone said above.. a few of my favorite calorie-dense snacks and add-ons...

avocados
    full fat greek yogurt (i love Fage)
    a small handfull of almonds and raisins
    walnuts, apples and strawberries, chopped up into a "salad" and drizzled with honey
    olive oil
    peanut butter or almond butter
    a square of dark chocolate or a glass of red wine for a treat :)