What is a good HRM?

Options
I need some suggestions for one as they seem to be ideal for getting accurate calories burned numbers. If anyone has any ideas on how to track your burned cals better, let me know too.

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I've been lusting after the polar FT7 for a while now. Haven't bit the bullet just yet, but it's the next on my list.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I love my polar ft60 but it's probably overkill unless you want one that sets up fitness plans weekly. The Ft4 or ft40 seem to be popular around here
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I just ordered my Polar FT7 and should be getting it next week. I have a few MFP friends that use the Polar FT4 and FT7 and they have had good things to say.

Also have one that uses Bodybugg and loves it.
  • MrUNC50
    MrUNC50 Posts: 28
    Options
    I just ordered my Polar FT7 and should be getting it next week. I have a few MFP friends that use the Polar FT4 and FT7 and they have had good things to say.

Would it be wise to go with a popular one like the Polar FT4 or find a cheap one?
  • preshusgem
    preshusgem Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and love it. calories burned are more accurate than fitness pal's. Hope u find the right one for You.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

Would it be wise to go with a popular one like the Polar FT4 or find a cheap one?

You can find ft4's on amazon for like $60. Anything that costs less probably wont use a chest strap and I'd avoid those at all costs
  • MrUNC50
    Options

You can find ft4's on amazon for like $60. Anything that costs less probably wont use a chest strap and I'd avoid those at all costs

Thanks for the advice. Will def. look at getting a Polar FT4
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    FT 7 sucks it is a pain in the *kitten* to use. Basically its not user friendly. It does not have the time on the same screen as your exercise graph page meaning you have to constantly click over to see your time which is a major pain while running or cycling.. Also it does not auto calculate your vo2 max. You have to input all this crap and its sucks. Oh and it only shows the time you were in fat burning exercise instead of a % so you have to do all the math your self.. Lastly the alarm tone is so low you cannot hear it unless you are in a silent room. If your going to get a Polar get anything ft40 and above as these are waaayyy better and all these pains in the arsees are eliminated.
  • Christieson
    Christieson Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin Forerunner 610. It is great for GPS tracking and mapping long runs and bike rides, as well as an excellent HRM.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I bought the FT7 last week and I am in love with it. Super simple to use, barely even notice the strap is there. I haven't nerded out enough to speak more to its features but I would recommend it!
  • ksizzle911
    ksizzle911 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT4. I've been told that using one without a chest strap (this one has one) is not as accurate. I love mine and best part is, it's waterproof. I've had mine for over a year and found it on Amazon for $70 (jncluding tax and shipping). I would highly recommend that one. It's a good starter and pretty basic but still functions great and is accurate.
  • RitaB19
    RitaB19 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I recommend the Polar FT4. It comes with a warranty too. I got mine in pink, but also comes in other colors. Customer Service was also very helpful when I had a problem. Best price on Amazon.com.
  • PrettyMindy14
    PrettyMindy14 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I bought the ft40 and it's really easy to use. I've only had it for a week but love it!
  • MrUNC50
    Options
    I recommend the Polar FT4. It comes with a warranty too. I got mine in pink, but also comes in other colors. Customer Service was also very helpful when I had a problem. Best price on Amazon.com.

You had me at pink haha jk Thanks for the tips!
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I have a polar F6 (I think) that I've been using for the past 3 years, the low battery indicator has been on constantly for the last 6-8 months even though I use it 3-5 times a week for at least an hour. The wrist strap broke around the same time the low battery indicator came on but I just put it in my pocket (if the shorts I'm wearing have pockets) or stick it down the side of my underarmour. I don't want to send it back for repair! I would say that those are very dependable HRM! I've logged 641 workouts, 1200 hr, and burned 389,277 calories.

But, I just got the Motoactv watch/16gb MP3 player/ FM radio/GPS which has bluetooth connect to BT headphones. This thing absolutely rocks. I am waiting for the HRM chest strap to get here any day now but I imagine it is going to work perfect and complete the package. I just wish I could transfer all the data logs from my Polar to the Motoactv.

For $200 the golf edition, 16gb capacity is a steal! It comes with the wrist strap so you can wear it like a watch and also a belt clip thing, wired headphones, charger, etc. My polar HRM was $130 I think. Yeah all the accessories are going to add up but the Motoactv is awesome and combines everything that I need for the gym in one handsfree and cords free device.
  • dalygirl_2010
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and love it! It is really simple to use, and toggling thru the screens is very simple and not a problem like someone else said. I hope you find one you like!
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    epulse 2 &/or the scosche - neither requires a chest strap.
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Another vote here for the FT7, been using it for four months now, find it easy to use.

All I want to know is how hard am I working, calories burned. I find swapping between modes when running easy enough, but, on the bike I just look at peak heart rate and calories burned when I am finished. So understand the earlier posters negatives comments about it, but, for me they are not a concern.
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    With Polar, what counts as a good HRM is easier to determine based on the sorts of activities you engage it. I invested in the FT80; it's not the cheapest of the bunch, but so far I am loving all of the features to track my progress and to set goals. That particular model is geared towards strength training, and it allows you to put together strength workouts with sets and reps online, then transfer it to the HRM watch (but, of course, you can also use it for just cardio).