Peanut Butter

Options
Hiya, I'm new so please be gentle!
I've been trying to eat a more healthy diet this year, which I'm managing. I'm trying to stick to around 1300 cals a day, but I'm not on any specific diet that doesn't let you eat certain things.
My big problem is peanut butter. I know a small amount can be healthy, but I love it over seeded bread. I think if I could get away with it, I'd only eat that.
I've checked my food stats, and I'm getting a lot of fat and calories there. I'm just wondering if anyone has some tips to help me cut down or find a way to still fix my craving for it without eating loads?

I don't really like it with carrots or anything, just with banana, bread, or crackers.

Replies

• kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I don;t know of any real substitutions. When I really like or crave something, if I put it towards the end of the day, I look forward to it and tend to eat a little less of it.. I know it's there, I know it's coming, and I'll be good so I can have it and enjoy it!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Check out PB2 as a substitute.

http://www.amazon.com/PB2-Powdered-Peanut-Butter-6-5/dp/B002GJ9JWS

it's basically powdered peanuts. add water and you have near-peanut-butter. Some folks love it, some hate it. I'm in the middle ground. Sometimes I'll just cut back the amount of peanut butter, sometimes I'll have PB2 in a protein shake or blended with a banana for the flavor.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Go to Target, get Better'n Peanut better. 100 calories for 2 tbsp. AND it tastes 10000000x better
  • endlesoul
    endlesoul Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Well, have you tried it by its self. LOL I put it in my Carbsmart yogurt sometimes. But truthfully I'm pretty low on fats and choose to have peanut butter as my fat and eat it plain. I just take my time and savor it.
  • RJPea
    RJPea Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I should have said - I'm in the UK so we don't tend to have substitues. The reduced fat ones are absolutely full of rubbish too!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I should have said - I'm in the UK so we don't tend to have substitues. The reduced fat ones are absolutely full of rubbish too!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PB2-Powdered-Peanut-Butter-6-5/dp/B002GJ9JWS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357276452&sr=8-1

amazon has it.
  • RJPea
    Options
    Yum, yes. But if it's by itself then I'll eat tonnes!
  • RJPea
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • endlesoul
    endlesoul Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    "Go to Target, get Better'n Peanut better. 100 calories for 2 tbsp. AND it tastes 10000000x better"

I quess it depends on what the fillers are and if you are counting carbs etc.

Ingredients: PEANUTS (AS DEFATTED PEANUT FLOUR AND NATURAL PEANUT BUTTER), TAPIOCA SYRUP, PURE WATER, DEHYDRATED CANE JUICE, RICE SYRUP, VEGETABLE GLYCERIN, SOY FLOUR, SALT, TAPIOCA STARCH, NATURAL FOOD FLAVORS, PAPRIKA & ANNATO, CALCIUM CARBONATE, LECITHIN, VITAMINS E & C (ANTIOXIDANTS).

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 2 tbsp (32.0 g)
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 100Calories from Fat 18
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 2.0g3%
    Sodium 190mg8%
    Total Carbohydrates 13.0g4%
    Sugars 2.0g
    Protein 4.0g
    Fiber2.0g
    Vitamin A 0% • Vitamin C 8%
    Calcium 4% • Iron 2%
    * Based on a 2000 calorie diet
  • RJPea
    Options
    How much peanut butter will the 184g jar of pb2 make? It's rather expensive for that much, unless it makes a great deal more.
    Thanks
  • swardraws
    swardraws Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a peanut butter addict myself. I have it every day but with my breakfast toast, 1 piece of bread with a smear (1T) of PB. As long as I don't get me a package of english muffins (then it is pb english muffins all day everyday until they are gone) , I am usually good with my 1 tablespoon a day.
  • starspeckled
    starspeckled Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    How much peanut butter will the 184g jar of pb2 make? It's rather expensive for that much, unless it makes a great deal more.
    Thanks

It is expensive. You use 2 Tbsp PB2 with 1 Tbsp water and when you add the water, I'd say you get a total of MAYBE 1 Tbsp of Peanut butter max. I like to mix mine with a little honey instead sometimes. I am with the poster that first mentioned it, I do not love or hate it... it's just another option.
  • zlauerMom
    zlauerMom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I put peanutbutter on low calorie toast. I use a food scale. Zero the scale with the toast on it, then spread peanut butter on the toast. This allows me to know how much PB I'm eating exactly. Over time I found I could get by with less.

I'm not sure how helpful that is. If I really loved having it often, I'd use it as a snack on one slice of toast a couple of times in the day.
  • RJPea
    Options
    It is helpful, thank you!
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I am so with you on loving peanut butter!!!! Its what I had for dinner tonight. I will eat it by the spoonful out of the jar. I do love PB2 and find it to be a decent replacement plus it takes some thought because you have to rehydrate it. I make the decision this evening to just not purchase peanut butter for a while. Better to not have it in the house. Raw almond butter is also good and I can stay out of it, same with cashew butter. Best of luck.
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Every morning I have two slices of wholegrain toast, one with vegemite and one with crunchy, no added salt, no added sugar, peanut butter. I put between 11 and 16 grams of PB on my toast (depending on how thick I want it that day). I put the PB jar on the scales and zero it. Then I take out the amount I want with a knife and the negative number (made positive of course) is the amount I've put on my toast. I also eat it sometimes as a special treat on a teaspoon by itself (weighed the same way)
  • MetilHed
    MetilHed Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    AND it tastes 10000000x better

Absolutely NOTHING tastes 10000000x better than peanut butter
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    AND it tastes 10000000x better

Absolutely NOTHING tastes 10000000x better than peanut butter
    Must be the natural food flavoring they put in it. Wonder what that natural ingredient is......weird, they actually don't disclose this wonderfully flavorful natural taste that magnifies the normal taste of natural food, naturally. Naturally I'm curious about it.:smile:
  • committowalk
    committowalk Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My opinion on peanut butter is that I'd rather have the fat instead of sugar and carbs, so I just buy 100% natural peanut butter. I am not yet where I like the no salt added variety, but I feel good about the two ingredients being JUST peanuts and salt. I frequently eat peanut butter on my whole wheat toast for breakfast. I'm insulin resistant and from everything I've read, combining carbs with protein (like nuts) reduces the insulin response of your body. I'm trying to reduce my carbs a little and that means I have to increase the number of calories that come from fat & protein. I figure as long as I stay within my calorie goal for the day it doesn't matter that I spend 100-200 on peanut butter.
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Jesse_Hunter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    "Go to Target, get Better'n Peanut better. 100 calories for 2 tbsp. AND it tastes 10000000x better"

I quess it depends on what the fillers are and if you are counting carbs etc.

Ingredients: PEANUTS (AS DEFATTED PEANUT FLOUR AND NATURAL PEANUT BUTTER), TAPIOCA SYRUP, PURE WATER, DEHYDRATED CANE JUICE, RICE SYRUP, VEGETABLE GLYCERIN, SOY FLOUR, SALT, TAPIOCA STARCH, NATURAL FOOD FLAVORS, PAPRIKA & ANNATO, CALCIUM CARBONATE, LECITHIN, VITAMINS E & C (ANTIOXIDANTS).

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 2 tbsp (32.0 g)
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 100Calories from Fat 18
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 2.0g3%
    Sodium 190mg8%
    Total Carbohydrates 13.0g4%
    Sugars 2.0g
    Protein 4.0g
    Fiber2.0g
    Vitamin A 0% • Vitamin C 8%
    Calcium 4% • Iron 2%
    * Based on a 2000 calorie diet

It probably seems 100 times better because it contains 3 different types of refined sugars that are throwing your internal chemistry all sorts of out of whack.. Talk about a stimulant...

This is junk, just eat real peanut butter and as someone else mentioned, try eating it at the end of the day.