how do I diet while breast feeding????

Options
Heeeeey there folks! I'm Mel, and I am currently pregnant, but due and day now. After delivery, I plan to breastfeed...but how do I manage to maintain a strict calorie diet and still supply proper nutrition for my little one? any pointers? (my exercise plan suggests I stick to a 1200 a day calorie diet, and lose about 2k calories per week...)

Replies

• Kagami_Taiga
    Kagami_Taiga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about this stuff, but I'd assume you shouldn't diet yet.

After giving birth you should be letting your body rest.
  • chervil6
    chervil6 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    i'd say dont stick to 1200 cals a day , thats wayyyy too low to maintain your health while breast feeding .......... go for 1800 , so u have enough energy to care for your new baby as well ... in fact you will have baby weight and lose extra weight without trying while feeding your baby , my daughter had her baby 3 months ago and lost hell of alot of weight while feeding ... she wasnt on a diet of any kind , but cut the chocolate out ........
    you should ask your midwife for advice as well :)
  • mzsebrell
    Options
    oh yes of course, lol...I'm not starting NOW, or immediately after...just want to get some pointers so that I know how once i get the green light from my Dr. to start
  • mzsebrell
    Options
    yea I was thinking 1800 would be better...just wasn't sure...and i loooove chocolate *sigh*...thats going to hurt lol
  • chervil6
    Options
    yeah chocolate ids my downfall as well lol chocolate is like HEAVEN and HELL isnt it lol
  • mzsebrell
    Options
    gives a great deal of heart burn too! ugh
  • chervil6
    Options
    thats because your due to give birth i'd say .....
  • sp98
    sp98 Posts: 46
    Options
    I breasted for 12 months eating 1800 cals a day and actually got under my pre pregnancy weight. This combined with a 30 minute stroll with bub each day. Breast feeding can burn up to 600 cals each day. Good luck and enjoy your new little one!
  • mzsebrell
    Options
    yea cus it never gave my any problems before...but it will all be over soon *wipes sweat*
  • mzsebrell
    Options
    thanks sp98! i've heard many say that breastfeeding burns lots of calories but have always been skeptical...so you didn't do any other exercising except walking and shed pounds?
  • lexlutha13
    Options
    Wait until your baby is two months old before dieting. This gives your body enough time to successfully establish a healthy milk supply that is less likely to be adversely affected if your caloric intake is restricted. Breastfeeding your baby, on average, burns 200-500 calories per day (above what you needed to maintain your pre-pregnancy weight).
    Eat at least 1500-1800 calories per day. While nursing, you should not consume less than 1500-1800 calories per day, and most women should stay at the high end of this range. Some mothers will require much more than this, but studies show that going below this number may put supply at risk.
  • sp98
    sp98 Posts: 46
    Options
    No I didn't do any other exercise as my sons paediatrician told me that excessive exercise could possibly affect my breast milk. Just a stroll each day to get us out of the house.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi, It's not recommended to diet while breast feeding!
    Sorry, but as health professional I encourage my patients to eat healthily and not restrict calories. Even if you ate at maintanence levels you would still loose weight.
    Breast feeding uses a lot of energy. In addition if you are not eating enough your breast milk will not be as nutritious for baby, with less energy for baby to grow. If you have breakfast by 8am your evening milk for baby will be richer and help baby to sleep longer intervals at night. Protein at each meal, + morning, afternoon, and supper snacks. If your worried about your own excess weight ensure these snacks are healthy ones (fruit, cheese, nuts, vege sticks, hummus etc) and check portion size. Keep active. Once baby is eating solids and you start reducing milk feeds, then you can start reducing your calory intake. Also, 2-3 litres of water per day.
    You can still use this site - if you search breast feeding in the add a food section, you can select number of feeds per day. This will then add the correct number of allowed calories to your day, giving you a higher total.
    Good luck, and take the time to enjoy your new baby. They don't stay babies very long, or toddlers, or pre-schoolers. Have fun!
  • mzsebrell
    Options
    thanks @lexlutha13! great advice! :happy:
  • mzsebrell
    Options
    thanks @georgina1970! the eating breakfast before 8am was a good tip....i definitely didn't know that! well what about excercise? can i atleast do that if i cant really diet as i would like to?
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    you dont diet, you eat nutrient rich foods, an abundance of them...

im not a md, but i am a mother of 5 children, all who were breast fed...
  • CherokeeTopaz
    CherokeeTopaz Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm currently breastfeeding and dieting. Just aim for a 2000 cal diet.. when you record your food also search for breastfeeding and add it.. depending on which one fits best it deducts either 400 or 500 cals a day. Eat healthy.. drink plenty of water... take your vitamin.. log your food. I was 211 lbs when I came home from the hospital with my 5 month old son.. I'm now 187. But really listen to your body... if you're really really hungry don't deprive yourself just grab something healthy. Don't be too tough on yourself in the beginning... let your milk come in and get well established before worrying too much. :) Good luck!!
  • kristinglori
    Options
    Hopefully you weren't only eating 1,200 calories/day while pregnant. You should see a lactation consultant for better, more educated information on what your diet should look like while breastfeeding. And, don't forget, breastfeeding burns an extra 500 calories per day. So it's also a great way for you to lose weight WHILE maintaining a balanced diet for YOU and the baby.