Citalopram (Anti-Depressant) and Weight GAIN

Options
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Would like to hear how others coped or dealt with it.

I have a Docs appointment on Tuesday to discuss it. Basically I can not lose weight. Period. I would love to say it's because I'm eating loads and enjoying it but, I'm not.
I know what my diet looks like when I'm this weight, as I have been here before...and it looks like all day chocolate, crisps, pasta and a takeaway every single night.

Suffice to say I am not eating that! I wish! I'm not 'dieting' either at the moment as I'm on day three of quitting smoking and am basically sticking to 3 meals a day...cereal, then a sandwich and some crisps or something, and for dinner a measured portion of carb and protein. No takeaways, no high fat stuff, just being sensible. I am sticking rigidly to three meals to stop the confusion between being hungry and a crave. Basically, any hunger between meals is a crave or thirst - it's just safer that way as I don't know my body yet.

Anyway, I've digressed loads!!!
I've been on Citalopram since the Summer. Since starting on it, despite either gentle or manic effort, I remain the same weight. Absolutely no shift at all. I can not lose, at all. This is the first time in my life I have experienced this. I can gain though but, once gained that does not shift either. I have shifted myself to classes, walked the dog, jumped up and down to Jillian in my living room - avoided all my usual treats over Christmas and just a maintain or gain for my efforts. I even did 10 days of protein only which would normally make me reduce greatly (albeit grumpily) and not an ounce of loss. Not even water weight!!!

So - I can maintain, gain and that is it. Quite honestly, I'm now getting scared. I am scared that I am on my way to being the fattest and unhealthiest I've ever been. Not only is this counterproductive to my mood but, kinda negates any other healthy changes I am making.

I'm 4'10" - I really am worried. I can not keep gaining! Has anyone else experienced this?

BTW, I haven't been filling in my diary and am starting that again today - this is not to hide any naughtiness, was just MIA due to commitments.

Replies

• jw203
    jw203 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've been on Citalopram for 2 and a half years now (with a break in between) and it hasn't ever affected my weight loss. In fact, both times I've been on it, I've lost weight. The weight loss is mostly to do with me making better choices (better diet, more exercise, less alcohol) in order to also help alleviate the depression.

Of course medication will affect people differently so I'm not sure if this helps you at all, but it may help to know that you can stay on medication that is helping you and still reach weight loss goals.

The best thing to do is probably to speak to your doctor about this - if it is Citalopram that is having an effect on you then it may be possible to try other variants of anti depressants that don't have such side effects. Again, side effects will vary with medication from person to person and sometimes it is a case of trial and error.

I hope this stuff works out for you.
  • FlippinNora
    FlippinNora Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Bump..?
  • Twiliightmoon
    Options
    Of course medication will affect people differently so I'm not sure if this helps you at all, but it may help to know that you can stay on medication that is helping you and still reach weight loss goals.

The best thing to do is probably to speak to your doctor about this - if it is Citalopram that is having an effect on you then it may be possible to try other variants of anti depressants that don't have such side effects. Again, side effects will vary with medication from person to person and sometimes it is a case of trial and error.

I hope this stuff works out for you.

I haven't taken Citalopram, but I was on Lyrica due to a work injury. My doctor wanted me to take off weight because it puts less stress on my neck (I'm always thinking my head must be unusually large) and I couldn't do it on Lyrica. Other people didn't seem to have the same problem I did. So I do believe that certain medications affect people differently.

I sat down with my doctor and we discussed this, and he switched up my medication and took me off of Lyrica. I'm on Celebrex now, and using a TENS unit. Tell your doctor your problem, there has to be another medication out there that will be right for you.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Different drugs can affect people differently. I was on Citalopram many years ago and experienced no weight-related side effects.

It's great that you are eating better this time around. Have you had a prolonged period of accurately measuring your food, logging and counting calories? If not, try that for at least a few weeks. The fact that sometimes you are gaining, and sometimes you are maintaining suggests that you should be able to lose, if you just get the calorie balance right.

I also agree that talking to your doctor would probably help. They can try you on a different antidepressant and see how that affects you.
  • awaterbuffalo
    awaterbuffalo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I hear you on this one. I gained 50lbs thanks to depression. I was on lexapro at the time. I just started taking Viibryd. It's been found to not cause weight gain and does not affect your sex drive. Maybe ask about that?
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I know nothing about this topic other than it might be your exercise/activity level. I know both my husband and I couldn't believe how sendentary we had gotten with our desk jobs and being empty nesters. He wears a fitbit and I wear a Nike Fuel Band just to make sure we make the minimum number of steps per day.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    There are no calories in Citalopram - clearly it can contribute to weight gain and inability to lose weight but not by the tablets themselves, you need to be eating for them to affect your weight. You say you haven't been logging, start logging and you will see a difference.

Citalopram made me miserable and not really care that I was gaining so much weight; I came off it 6 months and 44 pounds ago :)
  • ladyfiaragc
    Options
    I've been on Escitalopram (how it's spelled, though how you've been spelling it is how it's pronounced, this is the generic of Lexapro) for about 4+ years and I've gained more than I've lost, though I never thought it was from the medication. I've just had an unhealthy lifestyle since beginning it.

Since I've started this website again this year, I've lost about 2-3 lbs. I can't say that's significant, but it's a loss I never had before.

If you're really concerned about it, talk to your doctor. Let them know why you're concerned and request a different anti-depressant.
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I agree with the rest about taling with our DR about this...there is always something else that can be tried...., I beleive some of my weight gain was due to psychotropic meds also..when I was taking Risperidone, which I was on for 13 years WITHOUT ANY PSYCHIATRIC FU...I had an ernormous hunger, and EVERYTHING tasted EXTRA good, and I would eat everything in front of me and get seconds if available.....that changed after going off it (my current DR and I decided that I should never have been put on it to begin with)...I am still on Paxil (generic) but I am having sensitivity issues with it....so I am trying to go off this also...be careful, don't cold turkey, there are nasty withdrawal symptoms with psychotropics.....
  • Celuwen
    Celuwen Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm on Mirtazapine (combined with the Risperidone I was already taking) and it took me a few months to be able to control the hunger enough to be able to lose weight, so I feel your pain. The SSRI (of which Citalopram is) medications can cause stomach issues/sensitivities and weight gain/loss. I had to stop eating bread and certain wholegrains when I was on that family of drugs, for example.

If the medication is working for you mental health-wise and you want to continue taking it, then you'll have to figure out how to make it work for you dietary-wise. You may not be able to eat the foods you could before and lose weight, or it could be a case of logging everything and tweaking your calories as you go.

Or you could talk to your doctor about alternative medications. Good luck.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Bumping for friend.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I went on Citaalopram just over a year ago, and I ballooned about 20 lbs within 6 weeks' that's when I hit my highest weight of 226. But then thanks to getting my depression under control I was able to start eating healthier and exercising more. I think the citalopram makes it mor difficult to loose weight but I did manage to loose just over 40 pounds in this past year. Good luck!
  • mayramortician
    Options
    I'd get off that some antidepressants mess with your thyroid check the complications with that antidepressant cause seroquel xr Fu*KS up the thyroid that now it's extremely hard for me to lose weight. I'm currently though drinking green tea and eating foods to speed up my metabolism so fingers crossed that it works. :)
  • sugarxmexsweet
    Options
    I have insulin resistance so its harder for me to lose weight but its not impossible. I'm on 20mg of citalopram and I've been losing weight just find on it. If you have any questions just add me and I'll try to help.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Would like to hear how others coped or dealt with it.

I have a Docs appointment on Tuesday to discuss it. Basically I can not lose weight. Period. I would love to say it's because I'm eating loads and enjoying it but, I'm not.
    I know what my diet looks like when I'm this weight, as I have been here before...and it looks like all day chocolate, crisps, pasta and a takeaway every single night.

Suffice to say I am not eating that! I wish! I'm not 'dieting' either at the moment as I'm on day three of quitting smoking and am basically sticking to 3 meals a day...cereal, then a sandwich and some crisps or something, and for dinner a measured portion of carb and protein. No takeaways, no high fat stuff, just being sensible. I am sticking rigidly to three meals to stop the confusion between being hungry and a crave. Basically, any hunger between meals is a crave or thirst - it's just safer that way as I don't know my body yet.

Anyway, I've digressed loads!!!
    I've been on Citalopram since the Summer. Since starting on it, despite either gentle or manic effort, I remain the same weight. Absolutely no shift at all. I can not lose, at all. This is the first time in my life I have experienced this. I can gain though but, once gained that does not shift either. I have shifted myself to classes, walked the dog, jumped up and down to Jillian in my living room - avoided all my usual treats over Christmas and just a maintain or gain for my efforts. I even did 10 days of protein only which would normally make me reduce greatly (albeit grumpily) and not an ounce of loss. Not even water weight!!!

So - I can maintain, gain and that is it. Quite honestly, I'm now getting scared. I am scared that I am on my way to being the fattest and unhealthiest I've ever been. Not only is this counterproductive to my mood but, kinda negates any other healthy changes I am making.

I'm 4'10" - I really am worried. I can not keep gaining! Has anyone else experienced this?

BTW, I haven't been filling in my diary and am starting that again today - this is not to hide any naughtiness, was just MIA due to commitments.

For the sake of both your weight and your mental health start eating a balanced nutritious diet - not a weight loss diet just healthy eating all year round - pretty much all you mention are high glycaemic index processed carbs. If you want to eat only three meals a day make sure you fit in the right number of servings of all the foods/ nutrients you should be eating, nine of fruit and veg, three of reduced fat dairy, oily fish, other healthy fats like nuts and seeds, fibre and so on. Watch your salt intake and keep processed/ junk/ refined stuff to 10% daily calories.

There are nutrients in whole foods that can support the body produce more 'happy hormones' and help relieve symptoms of clinical depression - for example vitamin D and long chain omega-3s in oily fish. Interestingly there are also nutrients associated with lower fat mass in the literature and, yes, there is overlap. Plus some prescribed medications may cause or contribute to certain nutrient deficiencies - protein only will also worsen that.

Being overweight does NOT negate the positive changes you are making by quitting smoking. Aside from sapping nutrients from the body (risking deficiencies again!) and messing with your blood sugar and taste buds, causes fat to collect around the abdomen and organs, being a smoker made you able to exercise at a much lower intensity than you would otherwise so get much reduced results.

By all means switch medications, there are many different anti depressants and they don't all suit all patients.
  • FlippinNora
    FlippinNora Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have never been more grateful for a shameless bump than this!!
    Thank you for each and every contribution to this thread. I was starting to think that I was the only person on Citalopram :embarassed:
    Escitalopram is just a minor variation of Citalopram - so for all intents and purposes, it is the same. Different name, most likely to ensure the patent stays with the manufactorer :huh:

Anyway, I'm going to go to the docs on Tues and ask for my bloods to be done, to outrule any physical cause, once I get the results...expect another shameless bump :smile:

Most likely I'm overeating :embarassed:

I just want the doc to help me, rule out anything else and I'll crack on with it!!!!!!!

I'll bump to let people know, thanks, very much, for your time,

Nora xx
  • katz22
    katz22 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have been on citalopram, it made me eat more so I did put on weight, but this was mainly due to it stopping the pain I was getting when eating ( had ibs) and what I was going through at the timemaking me stressed and I often deal with that by eating cakes and things ( I can never just have one biscuit from the packet) Once things in my life settled down a bit and I started eating regular meals and began taking exercise 3x a week I lost a few lbs and felt a whole lot better. It was a bit scary coming off the citalopram, but the fact I was doing workouts really, really helped me not to sink back into the depression.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Escitalopram is just a minor variation of Citalopram - so for all intents and purposes, it is the same. Different name, most likely to ensure the patent stays with the manufactorer :huh:

I wondered about that because its spelled "Citalopram" on my bottle AND on the info sheet from the pharmacy. My doctor told me that Citalopram is the generic of Celexa.

But, like, several others, I have been taking it for over a year and have not had any problems losing weight.
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I've been on a bunch, and have had sugar cravings/hunger as a nasty side effect. Make sure you get lab work done--some meds can screw with your thyroid, prolactin levels, glucose, etc
  • kslibbin
    kslibbin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I gained 15lbs with being on this. Dr said I need to watch what I eat but I do not eat junk! Thats the thing. My weight was maintained on its own then I took that and I ballooned and its taking forever to lose even with not taking it and dieting. I've added exercise but I still seem to be at a standstill.